Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: MORNING ROLL CALL! MAY - JUNE

Message 81 of 205

Hi, All!

I agree about the "itchies"...all the talk of bugs' bites is as contagious as a yawn. Just mention a bug bite and I itch. I can't go out at night in the summer. I hate all the insect repellents on me. I did use one of those things you pin on your clothes for one event a year or so ago. Not sure if it worked but I don't remember getting bit that time.

Today is gorgeous... 57 when I woke up and now it is 68 with a breeze. A good day to get some more of the porch cleaned. Found out when I hung 2 of the chair covers on the clothesline to rinse them off that my hose nozzle cracked over the winter even though I had it in a cabinet on the porch. Used to have about 5 different nozzles and can only find one that isn't the greatest but will have to do. So, ordered another type from Amazon and it thankfully it will be here tomorrow.

On to the porch after I finish my coffee. N.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 82 of 205

@Frozenoem   Woman Very Happy Well as long as neither leaks, all is pretty good.  Maybe just a few repairs for both you (maybe at your next doc appointment) & the roof and all will be well?  

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 205

@LaDolceVita 

The joy of restless nights, no sleep may have been off on description.

Picture your childhood #2 pencils, the eraser ✏️ on the end, with a tiny pen point dead center, that is what a black fly bite is and remains.

The gift of blotchiness remains, and that tiny pin point in the center, is the actual size of the fly.

Itch away now, folks I need to seek roofers and paint for another roof. Begin to dislike my insurance company.

Rust on 60 year old roof, heck I’m getting slightly rusty too. But, neither the roof or I leak.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 205

@MsStretch 

@n566192l 

Best I can say is I’ve been pitching the merits of “After Bite” and Itch eraser since ‘83. From “Ambo” days, served dual purpose wakey, wakey smelling salts to blessed relief from insect bites.

Didn’t mind smelling like ammonia, relief. Picture a beautiful house 3 story situated on a point of land on the ocean, in Mattapoisett, MA. 

Free house, bee hive ovens, water front 10 acres, multiple bug bombs for fleas, chiggers and case of after bite🤣.

Ah to be young again, that case was 2 sticks remaining at the end of summer.And most bottles of Windex had been tapped for relief.

Never cleared that building of little biting blighters.

On that cheery note 60* sunshine and I need to speak to a roofer🤣.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 205

Reading here about black flies that leave scars?  That is too much.  I had a deer fly bite me on the back of the neck the other day and it hurts but no scar.  I do have a scar from a tick bite that will last forever but that was a special situation requiring a trip to the doctor.  The awful creature burrowed into my vein at the albow joint and a red streak began to travel up my arm.  The no see ums are a real pain but we have no chiggers here at this point.  A few years ago visited an unmowed pasture in Tn and had chigger bites even in my ears.  That part of Tn was chigger free a few years prior.  So I know they move and spread the pain.  The chigger bites last for quite a few days too.  OK this concludes my bug rant, I will go back to compaining about the heat as soon as it heats up again.  Looks like we will be semi comfortable here for the next 10 days, staying under 90.  

@LydiaN586309   Sweatpants & coffee? (the cartoon you posted)

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 205

Good morning, Front Porchers!

Sublime Tricks: Coffee Beans Roaster drinking coffee instagram.Italian Coffee Poster coffee interior industrial.Italian Coffee Poster..

Keeping it short and sweet right now.  Hope the weather is calm and good in your neck of the woods.  Caffeinate and maybe procrastinate at least for a little while.  Don't over do anything.  Afterall......

We are serving Morning Coffee again

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 205

MsStretch,

How about Benadryl and calamine lotion. Just a thought. 

Nancy

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 205

You all got me itching, but yes, me too, on restocking up on the picaridin.

Another bane of my existence are no see ums. Jeez. But, let me tell you, the worst has got to be chiggers.  Stay out of tall grass!

Anybody got some favorite itch relief suggestions?  I was reading that the main ingredient in AfterBite used to be ammonia which is pretty effective, so I tried some window cleaner when I had nothing else.  Then, I just cut out all the extra ingredients and went with straight ammonia.  A little strong, but it seems to give some relief.  A little dab will do it; much more and your eyes might water and you tend to smell like a mop bucket.  Woman Wink

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 205

@n566192l 

No problem for me I stocked up on Picaridin and have DEET for visitors, my clothes have been sprayed for ticks, etc.

By the way black flies are born and come from clean running streams, not dirt. Marvelous creatures, many would fit on common pin head. But, the size of welts are a gift for decades.

That’s pretty much how long the scars last.🤣 My arms may be tanned but, first bites from 1989 are still visible. At least I no longer get fever and cold like symptoms from them😎.

You only see them in swarms, a couple or few would be more of a heard annoyance.  Have tried the bug zappers no luck, salt guns seem to work only if en masse attack.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 205

Hello,

Frozenoem, a few years ago my neighbor had this strange bugs, that came out of the ground. Anyway, since the bugs started to fly all over the yard. The neighbors were using tennis racquets to hit them. I bought this Zap IT swatter, I can send you. Remember, I live in New Jersey, by the shore. I am not familiar with all the creatures you have. 

70* very nice here today. Picked up stuff for the share today 😊

Enjoy your evening... Nancy

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet