Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL JUNE 2022. CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL JUNE 2022. CLOSED

MORNING ROLL CALL May - JUNE 2022.         CLOSED
Good morning everyone on this first morning of June 2022. 

Due to the limited use of this topic I am extending it here for another two months.

360_F_429880216_V2ywtEa0j1nn4J69Tjm4Q5rRnHXi65dR.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Honored Social Butterfly

Good evening to everyone here on the Front Porch! It is nice to be updated by several here. Seems everyone has been busy and some have been dealing with some of life's challenges and finding some solutions

Things here in Southern Wisconsin have been full of minor issues. We have had a full range of weather from temperatures well below freezing to Temps in the 60's. We have had rain, sleet, and snow. A few sunny days mixed in.

We got our 2nd booster shot this morning. 

Take care, be safe and stay well. 

View solution in original post

Honored Social Butterfly

Hi everyone.  Oh yeah, I've been having a rip roaring time.  I was in the hospital at VCU in Richmond last week for surgery to remove a mass from my colon -- yep, colon cancer.  BUT... all went well.  Just got home on Sunday and moving slow and easy, but I am hanging in there.  Got good vibes from my initial appointment with the surgeon and she did say chemo would not be necessary.

Had a battery of tests/scans prior to surgery to see if anything had spread, including a lung biopsy, and all came back clear/negative.  😮💨 Whew!

Gee, when I decide to go down, I go big.  Go big or go home, huh? 😁 70 hit and everything went downhill, but all my labs said I was in fairly good health and the surgeon did say it helped I was normally active.  So remember, physical activity does help, even it it's just a little bit at a time. 🙂

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Glad you got answers quicker and solutions, happy that everything is improving. My downfall came at 68, despite walking and exercising regularly.

My bugger was accepting using a cane for stability,and slowing down, to.2 miles per day regardless of weather - snow, sleet or cold.

Walking does keep things working, long hikes will take awhile to reach that stage.But hopefully will be back to normal by black fly or tree frog season, aka Summer.

@catwoman500 

@DaveMcK 

Might be why I’m so over Winter snows and arctic cold, and ready to start the Maine perpetual wavefor flies and mosquitoes.

Time to get moving and consider putting the parka, Sorels, wool hat and gloves away, temp finally hit 59* with no snow in forecast🤣.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

YAY!

Good to see everyone, or almost everyone, back, alive, and well!

@MsStretch...  O...M...G!!!!!!!!!!!! When you mentioned earlier that you had been hit by some health issues, that was certainly a SUPER SLAM! 😿

It's so good to hear that you are now on the back side (no pun intended) of that ugly thing, and I wish you continued improvement. 😻 👍💓

@Frozenoem@DaveMcK ... Getting my second booster tomorrow. Asked the doc yesterday if she thought I should get it now, and she said it was up to me. With more covid on the rise, I'm keeping that appointment to be on the safe side. I have no immuno-compromised situation, but at age 73, I'm taking charge and going for it.

You guys all stay well!

bunny in basket.jpg

bunny in coffee.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good evening to everyone here on the Front Porch! It is nice to be updated by several here. Seems everyone has been busy and some have been dealing with some of life's challenges and finding some solutions

Things here in Southern Wisconsin have been full of minor issues. We have had a full range of weather from temperatures well below freezing to Temps in the 60's. We have had rain, sleet, and snow. A few sunny days mixed in.

We got our 2nd booster shot this morning. 

Take care, be safe and stay well. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Monday afternoon, charging phone long nite , White Mountains National Forest in NH or 20-30 minutes from house, etc has had a fire in 2 locations. First fire out after a week and rain 68 acres of possible 750,000 acres.

Last night fire still burning 168 acres in Crawford Notch, campfire or set

ATC in NH/ME is under campfire ban ATC =Appalachian Trail hiking and campgrounds.

Don’t expect issue but, covering bases. Ran lines for friends to their camps, and mowing my grass despite the rains last night.With just enough winds to keep black flies blowing in breeze.

Times like these get a slight pucker effect, and remember why I have many fire extinguishers for inside and outside.And just why the fire nozzles were kept from last owner of camps and metal roofs were repaired or replaced.

Better to be safe , time to mow and become liberally greased up from blackflies. It’s better than trying the Maine wave while walking.

Need to find suspenders, pickaxe and hookaroon , don’t expect using but, CYA. Beats heck outta wth was it when I last used as trail crew member 50 years ago.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Good morning Friends On the Front Porch ☀️!!! Want to wish all of you a very Wonderful Blessed Passover/Easter. Be safe, have fun but most of all have a great time with family and friends. 

Recognized Social Butterfly

Hello everyone I have missed you and glad to catch up with you again.  @MsStretch  I am glad to hear you are doing well and do not need chemo!  Yeah good for you being active and hiking in those parks.   @Frozenoem   it is miserable for you to be tortured thus.  Sounds like you still have no idea what is going on.  I had a bout with being imprisoned in the health system, over 3 hours.   I had to have diagnostic mammogram and they put me through the wringer.   More and more pictures and then a sonogram.  Nothing showed on sonogram so they want me to return in 6 months.  I do not like these networks most doctors have joined, feel like its one size fits all. 

Happy Easter to all.  I really will move in the next few weeks🤞

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

No torture involved, as yet. Except maybe for tonight’s weather forecast👎🏻, more snow 5-6” tonight and tomorrow, at least it’ll melt quickly.

I’m happy as long as I get answers on the 29th, and as long as my insurances, pay out of pocket expenses.

Now need to play on woodpile, prepare for inevitable power outages, and hurry up and wait.

Froze

Social Butterfly

Good morning Wonderful People here On The Front Porch 🙂. Hope everyone is doing well! Thought I stop by and say hello, it's been a while since I was last here. Wish everyone a Wonderful Blessed day, hopefully soon I can return to my retirement  and spend more time on the front porch. Be safe, stay sane 🙂

Honored Social Butterfly

@OscarE1968 

I did almost retire but, decided work would be better at least until the lakes are open water again, or perhaps until grass appeared once more.

@LaDolceVita 

@catwoman500 

@MsStretch

Only feel really trapped during 3-4 hour appointments. The rest of the time it’s in & out, no more than hour, and what joy can I expect next.

It’s the 1 1/2 hour ride to hospital that irritates the most each way, rural life for sanity.

Won’t have to undergo another 4-hour test until April, and that one promises to be a bugger, I’ll. Be slightly radioactive for 2 days after.

Beyond that it’s hurry up and wait and dwindling sanity, returned to work so I wouldn’t think about my tests.Or anything other than work, it’s just easier.

At least the numbers of delta, omicron? And Covid are down finally lowest numbers in 2 years. Now, if they just could stay that way until May-June or earlier I’d be happiest.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone,

Hoping you all are enjoying some spring-like weather. We certainly aren’t. Cold and rainy all day today and then colder this weekend. Hope we soon surface from this dullness into some nice warm sun!

Yesterday the rain held off until the late afternoon. I was happy since I had a couple of friends over for coffee and to see the renovations. So they got in and out with no rain.

@MsStretch…hope you are feeling better. 🌻

@LaDolceVita …my daffs are finally blooming and I see a faint green on the lilac bush!

@Frozenoem …I’ll get a Geiger counter or look for a glow in the sky to the north next month! That test sounds scary. 😲

coffee time.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Had a storm blow through snow turned to sleet and rain. Must have melted some of the pack ,can see more lawn.

Today 40* and 😎, still feel a cold snap coming.

No worries on test as yet,if something happens ,will have many Doc’s around. No coffee or food, promises to make me cranky.

Time to play on the woodpile, and open the mud room door, solar heat.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, Everyone, 

Welcome to April. Wild weather around here last night. Several tornadoes in the area. Luckily not too close! 😲

Happy April.png

April Fools.jpg

Kudos
Views

Still here folks and hanging in there.  Hard to think of anything but the move.  Things getting back to normal, depending which county you are in. My county is returning to social activities at the senior center, including trips. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Glad to see you virtually, I live as well👍.

Testing continues, work ? Continues, really tired of mud season, and want to stop running wood, oil or electric heat.

Everything is just hurry up and wait stage, perpetually. Getting my next booster before the 29th to cover my posterior.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi there, Porch Peeps,

Our posts are getting few and far between. I hope it's because we are all busy and not that we are not feeling well.

Hoping @MsStretch is OK, as well as @Frozenoem.

@LaDolceVita ...Glad you are hanging in. I had a doc appointment this morning, and it looks like I'm good to keep on keeping on, too.

The temps here are still going crazy. 36 this AM. By Thursday it will be close to 80! 

Stay well everyone!

Easter bunny egg.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Blowing freezing snow here -- my worst nightmare after the debacle at the beginning of the year.

Developed serious medical issue and can't remember that last time I saw this many doctors and had this many tests, so I've been pretty scarce and will probably continue to be so until we call a wrap on this.  

@catwoman500 , I can assure you that medical offices still require masks.  Here in VA anyway, but for the most part, they are scarce everywhere else.  Mandates have been lifted in all 50 states and yet we have empty trucks driving in circles around here still protesting. 🤦

Catch you on the flip side.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Isn’t maturity grand, 2-3 years later, 20-30 specialties later, lots of maybes.Tests, dyes and to many acronyms to remember later -ekg,emg,cat, bloodwork,etc.

My issues are delayed courtesy of still Covid high numbers, see me in June.🤬 After 30 more tests😡🤬

@catwoman500 

Even in my little backwater, masks required in hospitals, doctors, cabs, public transit,, and TSA has extended mask requirement for another 30 days.

At this stage 2 forgot the color, I’m just wearing a mask if anyone doesn’t like it ,they can deal with my cane or neighbors, even R’s.👍

Time to feed the fire newest, greatest pills are keeping me cold.

Froze

@catwoman500    My daffodils are finished for the year.  I have made 2 trips moving stuff but all that is at a standstill as basement is being finished.  @Frozenoem @MsStretch   Sorry about the medical issues you are having, being sick is bad enough but the appointments take up so much time and you just sit and wait for hours as their prisoner.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone!

@MsStretch ...so sorry to hear you are having trouble. I wish you a speedy recovery!

@Frozenoem ...how frustrating to be put off for months. The only good time that happened is with my friend who after 23 years cancer free, had it return. She has been having chemo, and when she met with the surgeon last week, it seems the chemo is really shrinking the tumor big time so her surgery was pushed back a month to see if it the chemo does more. That's the only good pushback that I know of. Otherwise it is just frustration. 😖

@LaDolceVita ...we had a great day yesterday...70 and sun. Woke up today to rain and 50's, but do see yellow at the tops of my daffs! 😸

Dentist yesterday and of course had to have masks on until in the chair.

Bank this morning and mask sign was still up. It was half and half at Fresh Market so I wore mine. At the Dollar Store yesterday I didn't have mine on until I heard someone hacking in another aisle! It went on in a flash. Looks like we may be getting another booster by fall???

Just chatted with Amazon...last night I received an empty bag! 🤣 How dense is the driver to put an empty bag on the porch?

Sure hope everyone has a Happy St. Patrick's Day. I'm getting ready to have some Irish coffee.

St. Catrick.jpg

Regular Contributor

• I thought i was confused and had lost a day
  •  
Honored Social Butterfly

March wth 5 below, started the day awaiting the oil company to fling a string of expletives at, no heat from furnace, after being charged $100 per hour for fixing it.

Now I remember why I have wood backup, temperature is finally rising, expletives are slowing in usage.

Kitchen pipes are frozen, heater is aimed at cabinet to thaw pipes and bleeder valve is still trickling in basement.

@LaDolceVita 

Hope your move goes smoothly.

Frozen takes on a new meaning.

Honored Social Butterfly

Wednesday after noon, house has returned to normal👍, 5 am Tuesday heard water draining in bsmt thru bleeder valve, and gurgling Gertie airing out in kitchen. Have water once more in kitchen, celebratory laundry day.

Sometime in June, really need to put in bsmt railing and maybe explore more insulation, haven’t had a freeze up since 2001, the year with minimal snow and frost down to 10 foot level.

Discovered more about plumbing that year than I ever want to remember again, septic system froze that year but, Charlestown was warmer.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey there, Porch Peeps,

Long time, no posting.

I’m guessing it’s because some of you are like me, and nothing exciting is going on, or else you are so busy that you have no time. Hope it’s the latter! It has been the “same old, same old” here.

This past week things started to pick up though. I had a couple of lunches out with friends, and one more scheduled for next week.

When I went to the grocery store this morning, the mask sign was down. I went in with mine on and when I saw the smiling faces of the employees for the first time I ages, I took mine off, too. It felt very strange to be shopping without it. I probably still wouldn’t go to a movie theater or church without one... for now.

The next thing I’m hoping for is that I can actually have an “in office” appointment for my taxes. Last year I had to drop them off and pick them up. I’d rather sit and go over them with the accountant.

Things are looking up pandemic/endemic-wise.

Hope you all are doing well.

@LaDolceVita …hoping the move is going well.

@Frozenoem …hope all is good with you.

Life without coffee.gif

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Excessive boredom, here. After watching pipes freeze up earlier, retirement in Winter heck no, can’T take it. Hi ho, hi ho, it’s Back to work I go👍

I should have remembered why first time retirement in 2000, was such a failure. Maybe this summer at least the lakes will be open water.

Time to play, have a stack of hard drives to go through. And then more LP’s , cassettes etc.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Friday think I’m ready for Spring as soon as the snow melts and the additional 9-12” coming tomorrow with high winds of 30-40mph leaves.

Really want Spring to arrive soon, this is getting really old. Today it’s 40* with rain coming in hours, tomorrow a total 🎲 🎲 shoot of heavy wet snow or light and fluffy.

Think I’ll stock up on supplies to cover either way.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem ...Never thought I'd hear you say you are getting tired of the snow! 😄

We haven't had much this winter, but these up and down temps are driving me crazy. One day it's 70 and the next day 20/30's. We did have some wet snow this week and yeah, whatever is coming tonight into Saturday...bombogenesis or however you spell it...sounds utterly delightful: rain, snow, severe wind. Yuck!

Of course, you'll get it worse than we will.

Hoping next week we settle into some kind of even keel. I have a dentist appointment and my tax appointment (in the office, yay!)

Masks seem to be dying out here with only a couple of people in stores wearing them. Went to CVS yesterday and put mine on as their sign was still on the door. Today at the Giant (grocery store) I only saw 2 people in the whole store with them on. 

No news about medical offices, but I'm assuming they will still require us to wear one. 😷

My daffodils are up. My neighbor's are already blooming!

Hang in there, everyone!

Soon!Soon!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP