Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! THIS ADDITION IS CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! THIS ADDITION IS CLOSED

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch! Welcome to March 2019. We had an overnight snow to ring in the morning. Going to be a busy day tomorrow. Remember that January-Feburary is CLOSED now.

68403-Goodbye-February.jpg299033-Welcome-March-Welcome-Spring.gifFB_IMG_1550937246914.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Trusted Social Butterfly

Happy Easter, Porch "Peeps"...Cat LOL

Hope you don't get sick from eating too many of those disgusting (made here in PA I'm sorry to say)

"PEEPS!" Ugh! Just thinking about them makes my teeth itch! Cat Tongue

Not a bad day so far. We may get some showers. 60 right now and should stay in the 60's today. We have the sun peeking in and out. Hoping the showers come before I leave for dinner with my friend's family or after I'm there and before I leave for home.

Enjoy the holiday with family (human or fur) and/or friends. N.

{l_l}

(='.'=)

(") (")

Recognized Social Butterfly

GREETINGS,

Just finished the Third Annual ๐Ÿ• Egg Hunt. I wear a white long john that I put a cotton tail on. Adorn my Bunny Ears, and open the gate. I scattered brightly colored eggs filled with dog treats though out the yard. 50 eggs in all and watch the action with my fellow ๐Ÿ• owners. As usual the home team lost. My 2 little ๐Ÿ• choose not to join in. Franny, just ran around with a toy in her mouth, and found a mud puddle. Izzador, my poodle, just greeted the dogs at the gate. Monte, the Pitbull, found 8 eggs. My neighbors dog, Roco found 15, in record time. My neighbors just think I am a big child, but enjoed the event. Just glad we had nice weather and a few laughs ๐Ÿ˜. Everyone, left with an Easter Surprise. Time to give Franny a bath, then clean up the yard.  Enjoy your day. Remember take time to laugh, it does the soul good.

Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK 

@n566192l 

You are killing me with the Easter doggie bonnets, bunnies, and egg hunts. ๐Ÿ˜‚

I love it! ๐Ÿ‘

Hoppy *groans* Easter! ๐Ÿ‘’๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฃ

@n566192l The dogs have taken over the Front Porch!  @DaveMcK  Your dog Easter pictures are a hoot! 

@Frozenoem  I was going to PM you but I will share here because it may help someone.  I was trying to add some music to my hubby's iphone by way of itunes.  The phone broke!! I mean dead.  Called Apple after uninstalling Avira antivirus from my Mac as suggested by Apple website.  Anyway, phone OK, music is on it and all is well after about an hour spent on phone with rep.  The big news is that my computer (btw has 4GB memory, we were discussing in PM)  has become snappy!  Could this be just the removal of antivirus?  Or did Apple blow magic dust my way?

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Magic pixie dust was blown over your Mac and hubbyโ€™s iPhone.

I donโ€™t like Avira on anything pc or macโ€™s Free or paid versions.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/avira-free-antivirus-mac,review-2976.html

More faith in Sophos๐Ÿ˜‡, Free or premium. But, 4 Gb is minimal for any type of computer.

Perhaps since the problem was also in iPhone the question is -

how much ram in his phone?And what model. - 7,8,X ?

And what is he running for an iOS version?

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

60* , cloudy and the rains are coming. Flood watch is up for the rivers.

@LaDolceVita 

Donโ€™t know if itโ€™s cold preservation or hard work, cut, split, stack cord after cord of firewood. You live long and sheโ€™s not the only old timer up here.

Might be the water or exercise, daily walks to the post office at a sprint and back with a stop at the liars bench for gossip.

Time to air out the house, before the rains begin. 

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

@n566192l 

39* and raining , with the river rising.

You have been pmโ€™ed.

In answer to your question/statement yep, thetโ€™re Pricey 3-7 Grams of platinum in each converter. $28 gram scrap.

BUT, some Honda catalytic are $69 new on eBay. Itโ€™s Maine you just knew a neighbor had to have a hot rod/demolition derby/salvage yard.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

No flooding here, but over-saturation is what brought down the healthy tree.  Indeed, there were several trees in the area that missed houses by inches.  According to several news reports, first responders had problems getting here the other night due to the debris. The sheriff department and arborist were called for assistance.

I heard the tree fall the other night, but it sounded like it was in the woods behind me.  My deck is built around a big oak.  Scary, for sure.

Funny, amid all the tragedy, I was running around checking on all the feral fur kids when a reporter commented on my Kitty Kamp which miraculously survived the high winds.  I just knew I would find that in the woods behind me.  She told me she had seen one of the fuzzy ones.  Whew!  All were accounted for and feisty and hungry.

Sunny and quiet today.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

At this point I feel like Iโ€™m over saturated, my 101 year old neighbor just passed me doing a sprint.

While I felt like her grandpaw, in deference and defense she has great balance and no need for cane.

Glad your ferals survived, wonder where they sheltered, the barn?

The earth shattering question is did Dora survive or was she given a place in the house, yet?

Also admit just spoke with a Dora, and had a vision of yours throughout the call.When itโ€™s the 120th day in a row of telling someone their password that they chose there might be a similarity.๐Ÿคฃ

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

@MsStretch 

At this point I feel like Iโ€™m over saturated, my 101 year old neighbor just passed me doing a sprint.

While I felt like her grandpaw, in deference and defense she has great balance and no need for cane.

Glad your ferals survived, wonder where they sheltered, the barn?

The earth shattering question is did Dora survive or was she given a place in the house, yet?

Also admit just spoke with a Dora, and had a vision of yours throughout the call.When itโ€™s the 120th day in a row of telling someone their password that they chose there might be a similarity.๐Ÿคฃ

Froze

I have no idea where the kids went during the storm and ensuing action. No barn, but plenty other assorted cubby holes and sheds to hunker down in.  Maybe even under my deck -- that's where Mom brought up the kids when I first discovered them.

Good ol' Dora. You've got me LMAO. She survived and did NOT blow out in street this time. Of course, she is zip-tied to chair now, and miraculously, the chair stayed put, too. Omigod, can you imagine if she had been laying out in middle of street when rescue showed up?!  Holy cow!  Dora is currently a soggy mess, but she keeps hanging in there.  She is a sad, pitiful remnant of her former self and I really think it's past time she got laid to rest.  I'll have to post a picture, but it is too dark right now.

For those of you who don't know Drunk Dora, she is a scarecrow who was born one Halloween.  She had a skull for her head and an everpresent bottle of wine and sat out by the street.  She never went away, so when Christmas rolled around, we put a Santa hat on her and decked her out in solar-powered Christmas lights.  During one of those bomb cyclone storms, she got taken out and half her body was blown out in the middle of the street.  A neighbor called and I went out to retrieve her.  It looked like a body lying out there at night!  Someone threw her back in the chair and we spruced her up again accessorizing her according to the season/holiday throughout the year.

Honored Social Butterfly

53* and clouding up, for tonightโ€™s weekend activities. Rain, rain and more rain.

Finally looked up while walking, and noticed the mountain directly in front of me. Which means all ice is gone from roads, or I need to get a new longer cane.

@MsStretch 

My Dora is a non- imbiber and beyond that not touching it.

Someone must have given her a list of requirements for computer build or else sheโ€™s a cinematographer.

Never argue with custom build orders.๐Ÿคฃ I just wish sheโ€™d remember her password, or use a post-it.๐Ÿ˜‡

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, All!

Although it's cloudy, it's 75 and that is a win! A few sprinkles a while ago, but keeping windows open for now. Soon the storms will arrive. Hoping they are not all that they are hyped up to be.

Just dyed my Easter eggs...it never gets old. Guess it's one of those things I'll always do.

Hope everyone is staying safe from any kind of nasty weather.N.

Honored Social Butterfly

54* and first true sign of Spring, flood warnings went up for the coming week, especially if rain comes later.

We also got the first warning for fire danger in areas without snow cover, dwindling but, I am still in the green, at #4.

1236D79A-9AFA-4DD7-B4AF-45417ADADEB6.jpeg

Honored Social Butterfly

44* and itโ€™s raining, I am enjoying it warmth and snowmelt, mud season has begun in earnest.

Driveway is once more 40โ€™ wide, sidewalks are reappearing in places. They been buried for a really long time.

Oh happy days๐Ÿคฃ

Froze

Good morning everyone.  A perfect Camelot day here in NW Georgia.  In the 40s overnight  and high 70s for daytime highs.  Low humidity, it doesnt get any better than this.

Reporting back on the plantar fasciitis.  I have been doing heel raises on the stairs and it has taken over 10 days of it but I think I am over the worst of it.  Hopefully the tiredness will go also disappear but I will not know that until late afternoon.  @Frozenoem  I wish your problem was as easily solved, but alas not so.  Hopefully you trust "medicine" more than I do.  But sometimes you have no choice and they are able to do wonders in some cases.

@catwoman500   I am thinking about how you will miss your pool this summer!

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Nothing is particularly oppressive at the moment, even with snow on ground warmer tempโ€™s make it easier to deal with.

Chell and I explored her kennel this am, snow pack is down. 39* and 10-20 mph gusts with clouds and a little rain.

Where snow is down to ground  smelled like Spring. Where snowpack still up felt cold and wintry. 

When Redโ€™s opens the saner neighbors return from warmer climes. Might be a trip to Wiscasset in my menu, for clams or lobster rolls.

Spring is coming, mud and road construction (pot hole repair) and my favorite when snows are gone tree frog or peepers in the woods.๐Ÿ‘

Instead Of hoof prints in ice, looked at moose and deer prints on the driveway, guess Spring is here.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Afternoon, All,

Sitting here with more coffee trying to get warm. We have a sunny day here, but only 57. Pollen is flying as it is windy again.

Yes, I have heard of the tomato juice trick for skunks, but I think mostly for your pets if they get sprayed. Luckily nothing other than the air gets sprayed around here.

@LaDolceVita ...Yes...it is a bittersweet feeling about the pool. No more worries, but no more swimming. I just took photos of the grass starting to grow. Wish I could post pictures like I used to, but still not able to do that here on AARP.

Hope everyone is having some good weather. N.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

The vinegar and water mix works better than pricier mixtures, and definitely better than tomato juice.

The Febreze is for particularly more stubborn sprays. My Rottweiler Tucker had an occasional sweet mother scent on his ears. Vet suggested the Febreze for being non-toxic.๐Ÿ‘

It worked and if he suggested,  just kept doing. 

Vinegar is an only standby for killing bad aromaโ€™s in camps up here.

Full strength 1/2 C 3 Monks Vinegar brand mixed with 1/2 C warm water and 2 Tbs baking soda, mix in bowl, let it foam up, then dump in spray bottle and add 11-12 drops of peppermint oil extract up , kills the smell of spotted territory by cats, foxes, dogs, etc.

Also works on rugs and carpets if you let it set on stains for hours, before hitting with steam cleaner. After salad/ vinegar smell dissipates, you only smell peppermint.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Spring roaring in like a vicious lion here in my neck of VA.  Severe storm lashed hell and fury down upon us Sunday night.  Unfortunately, with it came tragedy when a neighbor was killed by a tree that crashed on their house at the dead end where I live. She was 78 years old and her husband is 82 and he narrowly escaped.  Our little street was lit up with fire, rescue, and sheriff vehicles and the next day, our quiet little neighborhood was inundated with reporters and workers to remove rest of tree and secure house.  Their son lived next door.

We lost power (and water because of well), but my discomfort and inconvenience just paled.  Still seems so surreal.  When storm hit, my indoor cat and I ran downstairs, it scared us so much, but it passed quickly.  Alas... not quickly enough.  So sad.

I was just bemoaning the end of bushwhacking season with the return of greenery and ticks and snakes, then this.  I may really end up hating the start of spring.

But don't need to put a damper on the front porch.  Just venting.  Musing.  Babbling.  I really do hate the cold and snow.

MsStretch,

So sorry about your neighbors. We had some kind of Cluster thunderstorms the other day in NJ. Sounded like a sonic boom. My dogs went nuts at 4:30 am. So, I figured it was time to get up and start my day. I started the coffee maker, looked out the window, and 3 deer where in my fenced in yard. I took the dogs out the other door, hoping the deer would make their own way out. Took a while but they are out of the yard. I hope you are doing better today. All that commotion can be very disturbing even days afterwards.

Just packing up boxes to send out. I am a little behind this Easter, I missed placed 25 canned hams. I just found them today. 

Frozenoem, I am sending your box out. Any need for a canned ham. I only need 9 for the veterans monthly boxes. 

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their day

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Porch Peeps!

Not a fan of wind myself. Never haved been and then almost being knocked over that time, I'm even more wary of it.

@MsStretch ...that is awful about your neighbor! Cat Sad

Good Friday seems to be next on Mother Nature's agenda. Storms forecast for this area.

Dentist was today; car in for service tomorrow. It should be OK for errands early on Friday, too. Then it's batten down the hatches.

Laughing...got the permit for the pool demolition delivered today. Should have been hanging here 2 weeks ago. Our little borough is not exactly speedy with stuff like that. Cat LOL N.

@MsStretch   Scary and sad a tree killing someone you knew.   I used to think the huge pines next to ranch houses, dwarfing  them, were so beautiful and reminiscent of the living in a jungle.  Now I do not! 

We are still having great weather, it will cool off drastically this weekend.  Looks like 50s for Saturday. But then the 80s return next week and probably not leave for about 6 months.   I would not mind a longer spring.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Developed much the same feeling regarding strong winds around 10 years back, when what I hoped would be a 150 + -year Maple crashed down on my bay window roof.

No loss of life but, checked 2 remaining and the Elm and all had to come down, diseased.

Gaia knows venting is allowed here for sanity, at least it kept me from snapping several times this Winter.

Froze

Catwoman500,

After I read your post about the skunks, I remembered the episode of the Partridge Family. The one where they used tomato juice to get rid of the smell. Gallons of tomato juice, I think they filled a tub with the stuff.

I was happy that Frozenoem, gave you more alternatives. 2 years back my neighborhood had a horrible skunk problem. Fortunately, one neighbor took the lead and hired a trapping service. We all pitched in money and the skunks were relocated to another area. In a 2 week period, 32 skunks were caught, 2 ground hogs and 3 possums. Thanks to our neighbor we can all breath . 

It rained than cleared but still windy. Last night we had very loud thunder. A cluster.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Febreze and dare I say it Massengil vinegar/water and skunks always pop into my mind with the first hint of scent. Regular hikes in the woods first aid for ๐Ÿถ and just in case supplies, for humans.

Ever ride with friend, significant other or K-9 after being sprayed. Ten minutes or 4 hours itโ€™s just too much.

@n566192l 

Hurrtaโ€™s are good if my Finnish is still good. Donโ€™t worry about reflective vests, have had dogs size pup to 150  lb Rottweiler in all sizes. Took awhile to find good ones for running in pucker brush. (Thorny, spiked vegetation). Those vests have maximum industrial strength Velcro, regular PITA to remove๐Ÿคฃ.

My bear Rottweiler/lab enjoyed climbing on some old maples, and had habit of snagging upon limbs in the vest. Before retrofit of Velcro it would be hanging in tree, like a flag.

After tailored for her , and heavier cloth used it never came off without human intervention. Now, that vest has served several dogs through the years, and now, is Chelliโ€™s if I just can hike again is a crapshoot at moment.

Same as their PFDโ€™s for the boat. Personal Flotation Devices for swimmers and non-swimmers both.

Re: Her chewing habits and pillows not going to risk it. What goes in has to come out again. Not my favorite sporting event๐Ÿคฃ.

Itโ€™s bad enough I still must examine all of her stools for hookworm evidence, before disposal. 

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

50* and Sunshine a concept is born, warmth not cold. Snow melt and rivers rising.

Itโ€™s true  @n566192l  Nancy does have ๐Ÿ• and ๐Ÿฑ supplies, good stuff. 

Never thought Chell would like coats, she loves hers. Always a question if you buy one does it become a chew toy or warmth for cold weather wear.

ALso different treats for your furry companion(s). Feel like I โ€˜m going to turn off furnace and open the windows.

@catwoman500 

Febreze spray works on skunk odors, even works on dogs for safe non-toxic odor relievers.๐Ÿคฃ

Enjoy your Palm Sunday

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem ....all is good now. Not sure why I didn't think of Febreze; I have plenty of it! Cat Happy N.

@n566192l   Thanks for the offer!  Thankfully we do not need dogs coats even in the winterWoman Very Happy  I  am looking for several dog reflector vests so someone in the neighboring deer stand does not shoot one of my darlings. My Tessie could definitly pass for a deer as she is chasing a rabbit out there.  Most of my dogs are in the 55-80lb range.  Except for little fat Daisy.  She is a tiny double dog, intermittent fasting and all.  Anyway, I must obtain several of these vests before I return with dogs to homestead. 

Trouble is all of a sudden I am too tired to go.  I have resorted to support socks, anything to stop aching feet and legs.  Part of it is plantar fasciitis but it does not explain it all.  I complain to anyone who listens that I cannot walk for heaven's sake.  @Frozenoem Luckily I do not fall but there is a huge difference in the way i feel lately and like you I dont have much patience for it either. 

Frozenoem,

I am so glad you posted regarding hunting season. I never would have thought about that. I will send Chelli a bright coat. I may have orange, not sure. I will also send a back up to the patterned one I sent. I am sure Chelli wears that one in doors. LX correct.  I will try to take a picture of the coats made in Finland. Or at least post more info so you can look it up.  If Chelli ate the bed no worries, still have those as well.  I did try to drop some beds off to shelters. However, the dogs sleep on something that reminds me of a small trampoline. Thanks for the tips on the wild turkeys. My local Next Door, reports other neighborhoods are also having a problem. Hope everyone is enjoying their day ๐Ÿ˜Š.  Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Check out hunting seasons for new homestead, to cover your posterior. Also whether open carry or not state.

Walmart and Tractor Supply sell reflective vests for dogs and humans. Wouldnโ€™t be caught outside during hunting season without vest and hat on myself or Dogs.

Problem with all of my dogโ€™s regardless of size, during season for anything people shoot everything that moves.

Reason why most dairy cows become covered in Orange Paint during hunting season. Horses in blankets, etc.

Chell and all my dutches have been striped and size of coyotes.

They wear vests in woods period. Labโ€™s and Rottโ€™s No different, vests.

Year round open season on coyotes, have had discussion? with one person already, 20 years back about checking what they shoot at, he still gives me a wide berth on street, luckily for him, he missed.

Most twits other than above person were non-locals. You also might like to check if homestead is in open carry state, more asses in the woods.

I know how to use firearms, itโ€™s the other creatures that worry me๐Ÿ˜Ž

Re: Vertigo - still waiting for appt. havenโ€™t collapsed lately๐Ÿ‘. Still a problem but, seats are mysteriously appearing about town.

Froze

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP