Message 101 of 190

@Frozenoem ...Love your playlist. We need a smile! Cat Wink

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly

Re: MORNING ROLL CALL! ! ! MARCH-APRIL 2020

Message 102 of 190

Hello, Everyone,

@LydiaN586309 ...vent away. We need to be able to vent. Keeping it inside might make us explode!

It’s a cold, rainy day here. Feels like temp was 30 this AM. We will be having rain every other day this week, so tomorrow looks good.

I had to go to the post office this morning and the town was like a ghost town. The only place on the whole main drag that there was more than one car parked together was outside the post office. Not sure where the car owners were, but there was only one guy head of me inside the PO. A sign on the door told people to stay 6 feet from the customer in front of them.

My Acme visit yesterday AM was better than I expected. Not too crowded and they made announcements that people were supposed to leave 2 cart lengths between customers at the checkout. Absolutely no paper products, but I was able to get a box of the store brand tissues since I had a coupon for a free box. I got the fresh veggies and fruit that I needed, my bagel thins, deli stuff, salmon, and everything that I wanted to find. I didn’t expect to find wipes or sanitizer, and there wasn’t even any liquid hand soap, but that was only on my list “just in case” they had some. I have plenty here.

My neighbor is one of the people that I meet at the Acme every Sunday and he came in without gloves. He said his wife had a whole box at home, but they didn’t fit him. One of the sweet employees that knows us well went and got him a pair of large ones.  Then he found a box later in the health goods aisle.  

So, I was pretty pleased that it wasn’t overcrowded and that I am good until next Sunday or longer if need be.

Then after my Ebay listings yesterday I cooked up a “vat” of veggies, so I’m set for a few days. I bought so many veggies I may have to cook more tomorrow and freeze some. Huge head of cauliflower was only $2.99! If I only got one thing at the Acme yesterday, I wanted it to be cauliflower! HA!

Hang in there, all!

Cheers!Cheers!

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 103 of 190

Hey, I'm borderline bored, looking forward to snow for relief.🤣 5-10" and another cold snap.

Brought in wood, cleaned ash and about to make baguettes.Something to do for 5 hours, before baking.

Hopefully tonight I'll find a Windows7 disk to upgrade an older trade-in to 10 and gift it to neighbor of 80+.

My playlist of the day, after podcasts.

11B0C7C2-FA5C-46A9-AFE6-B1DDE28A94BA.jpeg

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 104 of 190

@LydiaN586309, OK to vent.  Your friend was reckless, but perhaps church gives her some kind of comfort.  Still, I agree, it was irresponsible.

I normally hike in Shenandoah NP, but waaay off any trail and far into the backcountry.  Nice escape and perfect for physical/social distancing.  Never run into another person.  Go figure.  My hiking partner and I generally split up to explore an area, keeping in touch by whistle (cell phones, sometimes walkie-talkies do not work well in wildernesses), so we are never within 10' of each other, even on the trek in or out.

National parks have waived all entrance fees and people are urged to get outside as alternatives to frequenting crowded places.  However, it seems to be backfiring in some cases.  I was just looking at pictures posted by SNP where access roads and parking lots to some of the popular trails were so packed with vehicles and people that the local sheriff's department shut down access roads to all but residents.  Looking at the photos reminded me of the invasion of the leaf-peeps in autumn.  It was crazy and just stupid.  First of all, even if there were no pandemic, I never could understand what is enjoyable about elbowing for space on a trail.

While I still plan on hiking (bushwhacking season will be short this year because of the warm winter), it has even crossed my mind if maybe I'm not being irresponsible.  We traverse some strenuous rough terrain miles off the beaten trail and if something were to happen (God forbid), it could require stretching sparse NPS resources for assistance.

Be safe.  Don't be foolhardy.  We CAN survive this.

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 105 of 190

@LydiaN586309 

Can't say much Re: your friend, betcha thought that could never happen.🤣

Everyone up here is pretty much just hunkering in place and avoiding people in general, regardless of the situation.

We've just had our first couple of cases in our county. 5.6 to 7.8 days incubation period, just not worth it to play nearer my god to thee. Local churches are just opting for streaming services.

25* and sunny, expecting snow tomorrow and need to make kindling for fires. It's just easier.

Firewood is now in garage, defrosting. 

Time to play🤣

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 106 of 190

Good morning, Our Front Porchers!

Well, early this morning I arose.  I made a cup of green tea (for medicinal purposes), a bowl of maple and brown sugar oatmeal with raisins and walnuts in it, followed by a cup of coffee with heavy creamer and ample Truvia. Yum!

Once fully awake, I texted a couple of friends (other early risers) just to check in.  We all have had a habit of checking to make sure all's good long before the coronavirus crisis hit and even more so now.  I have one older friend who generally is up and stirring between 4 or 5am every day.  Of course, it wasn't until after 8 o'clock when I called her.  But when I did call, the call went immediately to voicemail which meant her phone was turned off and probably on the charger.  So I left her a message and went about getting myself ready for the day.  Then around 9 o'clock my phone rang.  It was my friend.  I quickly answered the phone, but there was something unusal in her voice.  She sounded "funny"--apprehensive or as if something was not quite right. When I asked her what was wrong or up, she told me with a hint of defiance, that she was in church.  I guess she thought she'd challenge me upfront before I could say anything to her about the need to stay safe and social distancing.  She had told me just yesterday that her church was going to be closed indefinitely because of the virus.  But apparently she found another church, a small church within walking distance of her home, and she decided to go.  I could say nothing other than to be safe and let her get back to the Sunday service. 

But right now, I am both saddened and very angry by her decision to go to another church--not just because she is defying what is recommended for the masses, especially the elderly, to do to stay safe and healthy, but because she just found out this week that one of her own church's ministers was diagnosed with the coronoavirus.  So even though she may be asymptomatic now, she herself could have had an exposure and be infected and thus exposing others to infection.  But she selfishly has chosen to go out without regard for other people and the danger she could potentially present.

Sorry for the vent here.  Y'all know I generally like to keep it upbeat here.  But this just hit and it hit me just not right.

Anyway, my stay-at-home weekend is coming to an end today.  Then it will be back to work for me as I'm one of the "essential workers" talked about in the media.  I/we are doing our best to stay safe and avoid exposure and infection.  But it's scary out there let me tell you. 

So after another big cup of comfort (coffee), I'm soon going to getty-up from here.  Prayers going up and fingers crossed.  Here goes nothin'!

Lyds

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! ! ! MARCH-APRIL 2020

Message 107 of 190

Good afternoon to everyone on the Front Porch on this Saturday on March 2020. We did not get to stay here but we had a nice visit to see how the other half lived while visiting the Grand Canyon!

1920px-El_Tovar_Grand_Canyon_Village_09_2017_5284.jpg

South Rim | El Tovar Hotel
The premier lodging facility at the Grand Canyon, El Tovar Hotel has hosted such luminaries as Theodore Roosevelt, Albert Einstein, my  wife Mary McKeith and author Zane Grey.

Opened in 1905, El Tovar Hotel is the oldest and most elegant hotel in the South Rim of Grand Canyon National Park. Designed by architect Charles Whittlesey, it became an instant attraction for visitors from all over the world, including President Theodore Roosevelt, Albert Einstein and western author Zane Grey. It sits just feet from the rim of the awe-inspiring Grand Canyon and has 78 rooms that feature satellite TV, Keurig coffee machines, air conditioning and full baths, along with concierge and bell service.

Today, its rich history is complemented by its sweeping environmentally friendly features, which often do not walk hand in hand with historic buildings. From in-room composting to low-flow showers, El Tovar and its eco-minded staff are helping make a difference in protecting the breathtaking landscape in which it is surrounded. It's part of a much larger sustainability effort spearheaded by Xanterra, which manages properties that fall under Grand Canyon National Park Lodges.

Link: https://www.mygrandcanyonpark.com/where-to-stay-camp-eat/el-tovar-hotel

Mary McKeith on hotel pathMary McKeith on hotel path

El_Tovar_Hotel_in_early_1900s.jpg1920px-El_Tovar_National_Historic_Landmark_Plaque.jpgEl_Tovar_Back.JPG1920px-El_Tovar_Sign.jpg

Coffee with a Conscience at El Tovar

A perk of staying at the legendary El Tovar Hotel is the Keurig coffee machine in your room. But up until 2.5 years ago, the pesky personalized pods created waste that neither guests nor Xanterra staff felt good about. In 2014, Xanterra partnered with Keurig and joined its Grounds to Grow On program, which enables Xanterra to collect the used K-Cup pods, box them up and send them to Keurig's disposal partner. The partner separates the pods from the grounds, composting the grounds for future agricultural use and giving the pods to Covant Energy to be converted to energy. In 2016, 183,000 K-Cup pods were collected at the South Rim, totaling a whopping 7,300 pounds that was diverted from a landfill and converted to compost and energy.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Tags (1)
Highlighted

Message 108 of 190

Hi, all,

This morning it was 43 and felt like 36. At least it’s sunny! Far cry from yesterday…

Yesterday was a wonderful first day of spring. It got to 79 by 5 PM and I uncovered one of the chairs on the porch, took my glass of wine and a book out there for a while. It was so enjoyable! Kind of took me away from the state of craziness we are all in.

@DaveMcK ...and as our crazy weather “non-pattern” continues, they say we may see a few flakes on Monday!

@Frozenoem ...only had time for one Irish coffee on St. Patrick’s Day so may have another tomorrow. Chardonnay is my first choice for wine, then a Pinot Grigio, then a Cabernet.

As for doc appointments, one of my friend’s 3 back surgeries have been cancelled; she is in such pain, but they are considered “elective.” Another friend who just came back from Costa Rica was surprised her acupuncture appointment was cancelled. Really? Then the nurse told her there would be tons of paperwork to fill out because of just coming back from another country. She and her husband are the ones who had a cruise to the UK planned for next month. Today they got that trip re-booked to a riverboat cruise in Russia for June of 2021! Must be nice!

PS…they are the ones who live in the woods and solved their bear problem by taking down their bird feeder.

@LydiaN586309 ...Oh, that bank adventure would have made me nuts, but you did a good thing! After that, sleep was definitely called for.

@LaDolceVita Glad you could get some food supplies. I’ll try tomorrow at my Acme. That 79 temp yesterday was so exciting, but March returned today.

@MsStretch ...butt slides or butt bumps may be the only way I get to the basement in the near future unless my stepson can renovate my bathroom to accommodate the washer and dryer. Those steps are so hard to navigate. Outside butt slides have been over for me for quite a few years, and don’t want to accidentally have any now!

TAKE CARE EVERYONE!

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 109 of 190

Afternoon 31* going to be nippy tonight. Expecting to shut off computers soon  my eyes have had sufficient fun for awhile.

Seeing sine waves everywhere I look, time to pull out welders goggles, me thinks.

@LaDolceVita 

Stuff happens, at least my sanity is still hanging in there, time for a stagger in sunlight.

Froze

Highlighted

Message 110 of 190

@LydiaN586309   Good for you, I knew the bank lobbies were closed but did not realize there there was a run for cash.   @Frozenoem   Bad news on the doctor front.

Spring has sprung in a big way here  and I actually forgot about covid after doing outdoor cleaning up for a few hours.  Hoping the weather cools down a bit, we had 80 yesterday.  Had to pull out summer duds.  Have been afraid to visit the grocery store, will try mid week.  All is well otherwise.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Pen Pal Safety

Take pen pal safety precautions.
Learn more.