Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 161 of 190

Good Morning, Porchlanders!

Today we have nothing but rain.  No sun.  Just clouds and dampness.  And cold.  Really cold.

It's been raining all night long.  But.....  at least we have no snow!  And for that I am most thankful.

The last I heard from my friend was Sunday night around 7 o'clock.  She, her family, and the other passengers had all boarded and the ship was at that moment setting sail.  Have not heard from her since--not that I really expect to.  After all, she is on vacation.  But I woke up this morning, thinking about her and the warnings not heeded and said a prayer for her health and safe return.

@MsStretch  Speaking of hot water tanks,  when I had mine replaced, I deliberately chose a 50 gallon tank because I wanted to make sure that I could run the washing machine, do a load of dishes, and still take a full hot, hot shower all at the same time, if I wanted to,  and yet have enough hot water to last to the bitter end.  And it does.  

Feeling kinda droopy like the weather. But I really am not complaining.  No, in fact, I am just glad to be able to set one foot before the other and can yet see and hear and breathe.  Just thankful for life and a measure of health and strength. Grateful!

So wherever Our Front Porchers are, here's my wish/prayer for you all today....

Tuesday Blessings

Be well. Be blessed. Be safe.

Lyds

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 162 of 190

@Frozenoem wrote:

@MsStretch 

Considering we both have the same birth year, there is an ulterior in my reasoning skills.

I hear you on that one and I get your reasoning!  👍  I'm all about 'reimaging my life'. 😄

Think the 'elderly' moniker was a CDC thing, and when I heard it, I thought, "Oh, so I'm one of them now."  🙄

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 163 of 190

@MsStretch 

Considering we both have the same birth year, there is an ulterior in my reasoning skills.

I know I feel old but, slowly improving if nothing new breaks.

15-20 minute showers do feel better Than Navy or RV showers.

The joy and problem of oil furnace and hot water heat. Only gripe when circulator pump dies, like last year on relatively new furnace.

My previous furnace was 50 years old and never had issues but, it slurped down oil 1000 gallons vs 250 gallons on the new one per year.

Yes, I did read of T's latest hope? Of leaving cruise ships at sea so, his numbers wouldn't take a hit🤣, let's hope that won't happen. Seems GOP don't like that idea for the moment.

And on that note time to play with someone's computer, after disinfecting, cleaning (dust bunnies) suiting up and putting in hazmat clean room, it's 59* out there and feel like it can happen today.

Hope all remain healthy, I need caffeine,

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 164 of 190

@LydiaN586309, it is distressing to hear about your friend, but I am sure that everyone has warned her and advised against it, but ultimately, I guess it is her and her daughter's decision.  I am sure the cruise ships are taking extraordinary measures to insure maximum healthy safety these days and it is to the islands which haven't reported any outbreaks (last I heard).  *knocking on wood*  I'd be concerned about the powers-that-be getting a wild hair and deciding not to let any returning cruise ships dock on U.S. shores.

But everyone, be aware that the CDC has recommended that the elderly more mature adults (oops, sorry @Frozenoem 😁) i.e.over 60 and those with chronic ailments stay at home as much as possible.

Hot water heaters -- sigh 🙄  I also had mine replaced last week, but not due to any gushing flood like @catwoman500 .  No hot water, element must have gone kaput.  But I live in a little house and only had one of those pint-sized heaters.  Good enough, usually, for one person.  Landlord had a backup heater he got out of a Wawa he renovated, so he was able to replace right away.  Commercial-grade, not residential.  He said water would be hotter (it's not) and it's smaller (as if they could get any smaller 😏).  All was fine until I took a shower.  I barely have time to take a 5-minute shower and that's if I don't use any hot water 30 mins. or more before.  No lollygagging in the shower.  Shampoo, lather up, rinse and outta there.  It SUCKS.  Water not as hot, so have to turn it up higher which doesn't help extending usage.  So much for easing stiff and sore muscles after an adventure day; just hoping to get all the dirt/mud, briars, ticks and other assorted debris washed away.  Methinks the Wawa heater was for employees washing hands.  I see a chat with landlord in the near future.

Awesome pictures of Grand Canyon, @DaveMcK , but of course, pictures never do seeing the real thing justice.  I was in Scottsdale years ago.  Beautiful state -- AZ, a little toasty sometimes, but so much to see and ooh & aah at.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 165 of 190

@MsStretch 

You are absolutely not allowed to say that you are getting older, maturing perhaps. 

Subject of moving, Yep it can be a bugger some days. Lawd, knows I've discovered that, anti-inflammatories for 50+ years, and golden paste (turmeric based) are the only things that keep me moving🤣.

@catwoman500 

Told ya the Ace would be easy, put Mine off for quite awhile until I read about it.

Re: water heaters, I've only cussed a blue streak at one, in my log cabin. A Rinnai tankless water heater, the pipes clogged with scale. And we (realtor and I) had to disassemble and ream out The lines with brushes, coat hangers, etc.

Couldn't find a plumber or heating guy that had ever seen one. Realtor because he was sailor, and was 2 days after closing. 

Sailboats had been the only ones using tankless back then.

Amazing what you can do without a clue with a manual and tools, when you need a shower within 2 days to start new job.

@LydiaN586309 

Trip insurance has saved my posterior on more than one occasion, if I had to cancel, reschedule, etc no loss of money. Cost pennies on the dollar.😎

I think I'll keep my travel close for awhile. Think most travelers are concerned, at the moment. 

When cruise ships have started allowing $4 two day trips for active duty personnel to fill rooms, on per person basis, you gotta wonder.

Was scheduled to go to SXSW and F8 conferences, and both out-right cancelled, to be re-scheduled?

Trying not to politicize but, everywhere I thought of going, have to look to see active Covid or second gen.

https://icao.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer3d/index.html?

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 166 of 190

Hi, Everyone!

@LydiaN586309  yes…after such a disastrous beginning to the day, yesterday, it was wonderful to take a really hot bath last night! Guessing 10 years is the limit for any appliance made in this day and age. For sure was not expecting to have to get a new one so soon. Cat Frustrated

IMHO, I think your friend is asking for trouble considering her age and compromised health. Travel is iffy as it is, but a cruise? My friends who just left for Costa Rico yesterday have a cruise around the UK planned for the end of April and they are wondering if it might be cancelled. Heck, I’d cancel my going just on general principals. I couldn’t enjoy a cruise knowing the possibility exists of being quarantined in my cabin for who knows how long. YIKES! Plus the possibility of the regular old norovirus that ships seem susceptible to. Cat Tongue

Today, my trip to the grocery store was interesting. There was toilet paper in stock, but NO Lysol/Chlorox type canisters of wipes, just empty shelves where they should have been. The friends who just left for Costa Rico had a hard time finding wipes to take, but finally they thought of going to an office supply place since they stock all kinds of paper towels, etc. for businesses, and that’s where they eventually got a supply to take on their trip. I got a text from them yesterday at JFK where they said they were no lines at all for check-in. Now that right there tells you that people are taking this travel thing seriously…no lines at JFK?

And, I stand corrected, Today is International Women’s Day.

International-Womens-day_amp.jpg

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 167 of 190

Front Porchers,

Well @catwoman500, it's about 8:30pm at night on the Saturday of your basement disaster and I'm glad to read your plumber was able to get out to you and all is now fixed and in order.  I had a similar event a few years ago which also resulted in a total replacement of my hot water tank which was very, very old and probably had been in need of replacing long before it went kaput.  But these things happen. Such is life.

Anyway, I am a little worried about a good friend of mine who has decided to go on a cruise to "the islands."   In fact, she sets sail tomorrow from Florida. Though I asked her if maybe she might have chosen to wait for the cruise considering the dreaded coronavirus out there, she said she had to go since her daughter had made these arrangements months ago and her cancellation would forfeit all of the prepaid cost of the cruise--about four thousand dollars.

Well, of course, I know that's a lot of money.  But my friend is 84 years old and has very severe asthma and COPD.  She is asthmatic daily.  And I just thought maybe she could sit this one out (she's been to the islands before) and just let her daughter go with her busband and children.  But she doesn't want to disappoint her family and so she is willing to put her health and life in jeopardy.  So I will just say a prayer and in the words of the classic movie Frozen..."Let It Go!"  

Hope everybody is doing okay out there.  Stay safe.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 168 of 190

Well, folks, Saturday started off with a bang or should I say splash? I was rudely awakened from a nice dream at 5:30 this morning with an odd grumbling noise and then the sound of gushing water. Stumbling to the basement, I see the bottom of my hot water heater spewing water all over the place. Now I am not the best “morning person,” especially without coffee and exercising my poor aching body, so like the proverbial chicken with its head cut off, I was moving in circles trying to figure out what to do first. Couldn’t see the shutoff valve for the water heater, so first cut the circuit breaker, then turned off the water to the whole house, then saw the water heater shutoff and so turned the house water back on. Looked up my plumber to see if they had 24 hour emergency service which they did, but no one was answering the phone. I waited few minutes, called them back, and someone answered. She sent my number to the on-call guy and he called me back shortly and was here with a new one in couple of hours. Whew!

I have since had my coffee, but my back is killing me. Need to exercise and then more coffee. I sure hope everyone’s day starts better than mine!

Put in an IV, please!Put in an IV, please!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 169 of 190

Good evening to everyone on the Front Porch on this first Friday in March 2020!

We are taking a week here in Scottsdale, Arizona at one of our Timeshare. So far we visited my Sister Diane and my Brother-in-law about 50 miles East of here. We have been to 2 Milwaukee Brewers Spring Season games here and a day tour of the Grand Canyon yesterday. Tomorrow we are  going to take a day trip and fly home Suday evening. 

Hoping everyone is doing well and has a great weekend!

1280px-GCRockfall.jpegEagleRock.jpgo (4).jpgo (7).jpgHappy-Weekend-drinks-cocktails.jpgHappy-Saturday-with-love-495x494.jpg363927-Good-Morning-Happy-Saturday.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 170 of 190

@catwoman500, I love the Valley Forge adventure.  Ah, when we were young and had no fear, when every find was a treasure including quartz rocks.

I sometimes think I'm living my second childhood, but I absolutely have slowed down and feel the limitations.  Yesterday, I woke up with a wonky knee (no rhyme or reason, just one of those aches and pains that hit us when we get older) and went, "Oh no, not today!"  I popped a couple of naproxens and threw on a knee brace, thinking walk it out, it will feel better.  The first part of the adventure started with a descent down a steep hillside through that briar-y crap and I struggled.  I almost wimped out, but either the pills or the steady movement or just the thrill of being out in Mother Nature finally limbered up the knee and it started to feel better, although it took me a loooong time to get down that slope. 

Yep, no more hurdling fallen trees (tried that once and ended face first in the dirt) or jaunting up & down hillsides or blithely rock hopping across a creek.  🧗‍♀️ +🏃‍♀️ = 🤕

Tags (3)
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit