Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! ! ! January-March 2021

Good morning everyone on this Friday morning January 1, 2021

20210101_104440.jpg

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this January 1, 2021!

Ringing in 2021 at San Filippo Neri Hospital in Rome. Credit...Antonio Masiello/Getty Images

A difficult year comes to a muted end

Most places in the world, from a virtually coronavirus-free New Zealand to an Ireland in lockdown, have now greeted the arrival of 2021.

In Auckland, a fireworks show and parties went on as usual. The Chinese city of Wuhan, where the virus first emerged, enjoyed boisterous festivities. But in general, celebrations were muted — or virtual — as the world bade good riddance to a difficult year. In most cities, there were no roaring crowds, no gatherings for fireworks shows and, let’s hope, no strangers kissing at midnight.

Though Madrid eased its curfew for the night from midnight to 1:30 a.m., people were told to stay at home as much as possible, to eat the traditional New Year’s Eve grapes while watching events on TV (and gathering in groups of no more than six). London’s Big Ben, largely silent in recent years as its clock tower underwent renovations, rang 12 times at midnight. And in Paris, the only people roaming the Champs-Élysées were some of the 100,000 police officers deployed around the country to prevent crowds from gathering.

20201229_161148.jpg01ambriefing-europe-italy-lede-jumbo.jpg133688674_1783630068463669_3995358453950074551_o.jpg118959268_2787619294790458_2039857887100020463_n.jpg

FB_IMG_1460118275042.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

February is the Second Month of the Year on the calendar and has 28 days commonly but 29 days in Leap Year. Each month of the year has its merits. In February the month's main emphasize is the arrival of a Valentine's Week. It comes after January and comes before the month of March. February is also known as Valentine Month and provides us Passion, Faithfulness, Respect and Sentiment and also this Month has Semi Cold Weather. Free Download Goodbye January Welcome February Images from here.

347594-Animated-Goodbye-January-Hello-February-Image.gif234921-Goodbye-January-Hello-February.jpgil_794xN.2712037306_b40l.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch! I have an appointment for my first Covid-19 vaccination on Monday at 4:40 PM at a clinic near our retirement center. 

Hoping everyone has a restful weekend. Stay safe and stay well! 

We are being told that we  are going to have another snowstorm starting Saturday afternoon and ending Sunday evening. 

20210124_163237.jpg118883456_10207844644470393_1320644011962730795_n.jpg41820787_1582014658569299_8673372612421746688_o.jpgred_friday_stars_mug.jpg359667-Happy-Weekend-My-Friend.jpg

Conversationalist

Good Morning, Dave!

We are expecting another snowstorm starting shortly after noon here, too.  First rain, turning to sleet, then ice, then snow for the next 24 hours.  Then more snow the middle of this coming week.  At this rate, my poor little crocus won't be up until June!   😥 💐

I miss my flowers....

Esteemed Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK 

@RosemaryF433825 

Having a temporary warm up from -14 to 12 and sunny.

We will be getting same snowfall totals if it stays brisk, roll of the 🎲 🎲 on turning to rain.

Snow is happiness unless it blows, rain not so nice if it turns to ice.

Brought in 🪵 wood, just in case of heavy wet snow vs dry. Miss the insulation value of snow around the house and garage.

Have fun time to play with old stereos, have hit the late 70’s to 90’s pile and need to unload them, after cleaning and fixing them.

The 60’s and early 70’s, I’m keeping, if I can build shipping crates for speakers 80-100 lb towers.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Recognized Social Butterfly

Hi folks.  Rainy Sunday morning here.  Reading bad news about the virus, seems that most infections are now among kids.  Is that  because they are intermingling more than the rest of the population?    I have given up watching the numbers but looks like I am compelled to start back.  

-3* and cloudy, great morning, afternoon.

Cracked a cap, and then had my cell stop working. Reset phone with hard reboot👍. Fixed that nasty static on my landline with a new filters, everything good except crown.

Trying to get dental approved during a pandemic, with dentist sick isn’t happening today.

In lighter news 19,000 doses of questionable vaccine are now allowed to be used, they were shipped at too cold temperature.

But there still good.

Time to play outside, feel my warm pants coming. And discovering if it was temporary crown or permanent. Breathing should tell me.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

@RosemaryF433825 , thanks for reminding me.  I still have to get my second shingles shot.  Got my first in October.  Yes, it sucked.  Got flu shot at same time in same arm and couldn't figure out if 2 shots in same arm caused the soreness and redness, then someone clued me in. 🙄  Luckily my recovery time was not as long as yours.

Speaking of ice, just did the 2-step slide and shuffle outside dealing with the shed kitties.  Freezing rain/snow mixture going on and it's miserable and dangerous out there.  Kids running hither and yon getting soggy and not liking it while I try to corral them all to their respective shelters with some treats. 🙄  Lordy, these guys are a spoiled bunch, for sure.

Happy Thursday, Porch Peeps!

I see I have a lot to catch up with. Sure wish I'd get notices that people have posted.

@LaDolceVita ...Luckily that ice forecasted wasn't bad. Some ice pebbles early that morning, but just rain by the time I left for my appointment on Tuesday. And yes, I have a pair of ice grippers in the house and one in my car...just in case!

@RosemaryF433825 ...Yep...the first shingles shot pain last a little over a week. The second one is not so bad. Shingles are worse, and I just had a mild case! 😒

@Frozenoem ...For sure the vaccine protocol is so messed up and willy nilly. They say we are eligible and then have no vaccines to even sign up for. Hoping the J&J one is approved soon and by spring we can get that one which is only a one and done shot.

@MsStretch ...please be careful. Dance in the house, not on ice! 😺

@DaveMcK ...Glad you are getting your shot. Hoping that you don't have to wait for hours in a long line! 😾

Time for some coffee!

What makes you think this kid is mine.jpg

Conversationalist

Oh my gosh!   Those kitties are sooooooo. cute!   Love your poster!  : )

0 Kudos

@catwoman500 

Re: Vaccines it’s improving more deliveries are coming here. Still 70+ year olds , first responders and health care workers .

60+ are expected around MidMarch or maybe. One of our issues were people 70+ were booking or traveling 5-6 hours to get the shot vs locally. And then expecting to go closer for next shot - a definite no no.

All I can say. Is my health care provider will call me when it’s my time. TriCare rocks, don’t have to shop around for vaccine, they just tell you it’s time, now go!😷

No ice just light flurries thus far. Expecting either a blizzard or rain next week, judging by my back, and nippy at 2*.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good evening everyone on the Front Porch on this fourth Morning of January 2021.

@RosemaryF433825 My wife Mary had both Shingles and the Shingles series of shots and definitely would of had the shots first and not the shingles. 

I have an appointment for my first Covid-19 vaccination Sunday morning at 9:10 because I am 77 and diebetic.

Hopefully Mary can get her's shotsoon but she is only 74 but will be75 on March 12th.

Hoping everyone has a great week ahead. We are expecting  3 - 5" of snow overnight. 

good-week_005.jpg

136114148_3747942215264840_1756341337408267395_n.jpg7489_10153487682541715_8770952135677347877_n.jpg49397754_2189344031097903_8768894042294452224_o.jpg

Conversationalist

Because I've had Shingles multiple times, I was glad to get the vaccine and will definitely get the second shot as well.  And as for getting the Covid vaccine?  It is my understanding that the age was lowered to 65 as far as being able to get the shot directly after those who were healthcare workers.

I really liked your Shakespeare quote.  Thanks for sharing it, Dave!

As for snow, it is supposed to snow here all night and into the entire morning tomorrow.  We can expect anywhere from 5-12 inches depending on which area of the state we live in.  

Honored Social Butterfly

We should get our first vaccinations in the next 10 days. I'm sure there are not many here that got the battery of 10 shots I got in 1967 in basic training. I got 4 at one time using  the jet guns shown below. 

Every recruit, in the 1960's during the first few weeks of boot camp, got in a line during their medical evaluations and get stuck in the arm with all sorts of needles and have thermometers shoved into some uncomfortable places.

Welcome to the military!

gateway-to-the-air-force-basic-training-1988.png

pbshot1000.jpg

To all Porch PeepsTo all Porch Peeps

A cold day here in the Philly burbs. Wind chill was 7 when I left for the grocery store.

Not much going on here. Some "winter" will arrive a couple of times this coming week and I'm afraid it may interfere with getting my hair cut. Not the amounts so much as the icy.

Hope some of you are doing better in the vaccine department than we are. We seem to be out of it and when it arrives, it is much less than expected. I'd hate to see those who were able to get the first shot, not able to get their second one. 

@DaveMcK ...jet guns! Yikes! 😲

Time for a caffeine boost!

sunday status.jpg

Kudos
Views

Warm and sunny 11*, I’ve lived here quite awhile. Winter only counts if measured in feet of snow fall, a pesky flurry is 3-4”.

@DaveMcK 

My wife griped about needle gun and got sick for yellow fever and anthrax shots, Individual shots for the latter.

Vaccines are a 💩shoot in Maine, supplies are being Re-shipped and the ones we had some were kept too cold. So, they can’t be used for the moment.

Neighbors at 80 and 70 are still waiting their call. Near as I can tell maybe the end of February- March things should be running smoothly for me.

Time to play in woodpile.

Froze

@catwoman500 Yikes, ice!   I took a terrible fall 10 years ago and have a pair of those trax things for walking on ice.   Also I spoke with more health care workers who have had the shot and they said expect a very  sore arm.   

Our acquaintance who had been hospitalized with Covid has passed away in intensive care.  He was only 50 and he would have not been eligible to get the vaccine.  He was not diabetic or a smoker.  I have also been told by an acquaintance that his 80 aunt and uncle tested positive after losing sense of taste and smell, no other symptoms and a full recovery.  This is a truly creepy virus.

Conversationalist

I have this problem when it comes to ice, LaDolce...I don't find it, it finds me.

Like "Ahhh...here she comes.  Spread out."  Ha!

I don't know about what it's like to get the Covid vaccine, but my arm was practically immobile after I got the first Shingles shot a week ago.  WOW!  It didn't even come close to feeling like a flu shot or a tetanus shot.  Took 4 days before I could move it like normal due to the pain.  And I still have to get the second one.  (Oh, happy day!  Ha@)

Sorry to hear about your acquaintance passing away...

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 , sounds like PA is running their roll-out identical to VA.  Absolutely, I agree, I do not want nor intend to try and butt ahead of the most vulnerable people and essential workers.

But, on a up note (if there is one), shortages and delays are showing that it appears more people are amenable to getting the vaccine which is critical to returning to a semblance of normalcy.

Honored Social Butterfly

@RosemaryF433825 , for sure, it has been a very disappointing and frustrating roll-out.  Hoping 🤞... praying 🙏 that things will improve now.

Hi folks.  Dreary cloudy day here but not cold, about 45 or so.    Supposed to hit 56 but I have my doubts. 

Our  hospice nurse and his wife have received their first Covid vaccines and only the wife had a negative reaction.   I have received email from my doctor that they have vaccines available. 

Hi, Folks!

I did watch all of the daytime inauguration events. Guess I turned of the TV around 4 PM.

@wvgirlforever ...I so agree with you about the young poet Amanda Gorman. She was so inspiring.

@MsStretch ...Yes, the lines for the sugar cubes. I do remember that.

I did a pre-registration for the COVID vaccine on our county website. They are supposed to notify you via email when and where you can make an appointment, but there is no vaccine available and like someone mentioned, they are using what they have and will get to continue vaccinating the healthcare workers and those that were originally in the first group.

I certainly want the vaccine ASAP, but will not stand in line for hours...it's just not doable.

Plus, I don't want to butt in line ahead of people like teachers and police! I think they should be next after healthcare workers and folks in nursing facilities. If we want to get the schools open, we need to get the teachers vaccinated!

Hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend!

Today is National Blonde Brownie day (Blondies) 😸

Mmmm!Mmmm!

But if I smell coffee.....But if I smell coffee.....

Conversationalist

Hahahahaha!   Oh my gosh, cat woman!!!!  That kitty poster is just too funny!!!!

And yes... I admit to licking the brownies in the other poster, too.  (There's no calories, that way!)

In regards to the Covid vaccine, I don't think it would be possible to butt in line ahead of first responders or healthcare workers since they get their vaccines at their jobs.

I didn't know the "common people" could pre-register online to get the vaccine.  I'll have to check into that.  However, I know it will take 2 shots to do the trick, and that vaccines are being put aside for the people who have gotten the first one.  And lest we forget, the US companies that are producing the vaccine are also shipping their production to foreign lands as well, and not making the vaccine just for our country.  So there's all kinds of reasons why the vaccine is becoming unavailable for the rest of us right now.

Honored Social Butterfly

@wvgirlforever , I remember the sugar cubes, too!  And remember the small pox vaccination when they kept pricking your arm over and over?  And it left a scar forever, it seemed.  I was an Army brat and we were always getting poked and vaccinated for this or that; I can't even remember how many diseases we were protected against.  When we lived overseas, they took no chances; boosters once a year.  Yeah, I don't recall having a say in the matter.

Congrats on getting called down for the vaccine.  Virginia expanded the 75+ to us younger whippersnappers 65+ for the next in line.  But, my health district is still vaccinating the first tier and do not have enough vaccines... yet.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist

She is indeed lucky to getting called down for the vaccine.  Just heard on the news a few moments ago that of 50 states, mine is #46th in line to be getting the vaccine for those 65+.

Nothing is expected to even get here until February...and even then, not sure if there will come close to being enough to vaccinate everyone in that age group even the first time around.    Very disappointing news for us...

Honored Social Butterfly

Good Wednesday morning to everyone on the Front Porch! Our weatherman tells us  we will have cold temperatures and a chance of snow this weekend.  By the weekend we will see temperatures drop into the teens at night and upper 20's during the weekend day time and into next week.

I'm hoping we will see a peaceful transition of government in the next few hours! 

I wish our new Commander-In-Chief, his Vice President and his administration well.

MAY GOD BLESS AMERICA AND OUR FUTURE!

SKQF7IIYWZEOBKZXEKPOUS3IBE.jpeg

18* and cloudy.

Spent this am, listening to Navy band tuning up in front of WH with , Hit the road, Jack to Trump.

Intend to watch the Inauguration of Biden and Harris this day, and avoid outside activities.

We did get flurry action last night, judging by covered snowmobile and 4 wheeler next door.

Time for breakfast and coffee, 

Froze

Trusted Contributor

@Frozenoem  even though I am working from home, my day was spent watching (at times) & listening to the inauguration yesterday.  Several high points to me.  The young poet laureate was amazing.  That young woman will go places in this world.  The sun was shining here in Illinois which made the day even better.  It's a new day!  

@MsStretch I received a call yesterday from my country health department and have an appointment to get my shot on Monday at 1:15.  That made me so happy that I almost felt like crying.  I just wish there weren't people who are saying they won't get the shot.  I think about the polio vaccine that was given out to kids when I was young (sugar cube form) in school.  There wasn't even a question about whether you would take it or not.

Hope everyone will have a wonderful day.  😎

@wvgirlforever 

Vague recollection of Sabin vaccine in Kindergarten or 1st grade, apparently I don’t remember everything.

AntiVaxxers, mumble grumble, not going to comment today. Amazing what some people swallow hook, line and sinker.

As soon as our new batches of vaccine come in, I’ll be on the list. Had spoilage in shipping someone dropped the ball on storage temp’s.

February or March maybe 70+ year olds still ahead of me. 

Time to suit up, need a walk.

Froze

Conversationalist

@wvgirlforever  It seems we are neighboring states!  (Midwest is best!!!)

The morning is bright and reflecting off the crystals in the snow, making it look like someone threw tiny diamonds across the surface.  Beautiful!  

Hope everyone is looking forward to a new year with hope, kindness, peace!

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem , at least we have been moved up to 1b from 1c.  My health district in Virginia is still in 1a, but I filled out my form from the health department providing an email and phone number to be notified.  Latest update from the VDH site says appointments will be made through email.  Sounds like they are trying to avoid those pesky website crashes and those forever waits on hold that many across the country are experiencing.  My sister (year younger) lives in a county further west of me whose health district has moved to 1b.  Need to see if she's been able to score yet. 🤔

Not looking for snow, but is Katahdin open this time of year?  Seems I've always heard AT thru-hikers need to finish by certain time of year due to terminus closure.

Yup, tomorrow is a big day.  Very eerie to see Washington, D.C. shut down and empty.  Sad, really.  Yesterday was MLK Jr. Day and his Memorial was closed. 😞

I have a dentist appointment tomorrow (yes, on Inauguration Day) and then off to get 'lost' in the woods again on Thursday  --  far, far away from the maddening and infectious crowds.  😁

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

To our Online Community Members,

We wanted to let you know that our Community Guidelines and Terms of Service have been updated. The changes are intended to foster more civil discussions in AARP’s online communities. The issues discussed in these communities – including healthcare, retirement and politics – are serious and stir up strong emotions. We should have spirited debates about all of them, but those debates should always be respectful, on topic and fact based. We will be applying these standards in our online communities as we work together, with all of you, to address the challenges that face older Americans. Thank you.

AARP Membership Flash Sale

AARP Games

Throw it back and play Atari's Missile Command. Grab your arsenal to neutralize your enemy and protect your cities from a missile attack. You got this!

AARP Games Atari Missile Command

Your Daily Puzzle

Enjoy our interactive brain-teasers and treat yourself to some mental gymnastics. Try one today.

Your Daily Puzzle