Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! January-March 2021 CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! January-March 2021 CLOSED

Spoiler

Closed

Good morning everyone on this Friday morning January 1, 2021

20210101_104440.jpg

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this January 1, 2021!

Ringing in 2021 at San Filippo Neri Hospital in Rome. Credit...Antonio Masiello/Getty Images

A difficult year comes to a muted end

Most places in the world, from a virtually coronavirus-free New Zealand to an Ireland in lockdown, have now greeted the arrival of 2021.

In Auckland, a fireworks show and parties went on as usual. The Chinese city of Wuhan, where the virus first emerged, enjoyed boisterous festivities. But in general, celebrations were muted — or virtual — as the world bade good riddance to a difficult year. In most cities, there were no roaring crowds, no gatherings for fireworks shows and, let’s hope, no strangers kissing at midnight.

Though Madrid eased its curfew for the night from midnight to 1:30 a.m., people were told to stay at home as much as possible, to eat the traditional New Year’s Eve grapes while watching events on TV (and gathering in groups of no more than six). London’s Big Ben, largely silent in recent years as its clock tower underwent renovations, rang 12 times at midnight. And in Paris, the only people roaming the Champs-Élysées were some of the 100,000 police officers deployed around the country to prevent crowds from gathering.

20201229_161148.jpg01ambriefing-europe-italy-lede-jumbo.jpg133688674_1783630068463669_3995358453950074551_o.jpg118959268_2787619294790458_2039857887100020463_n.jpg

FB_IMG_1460118275042.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

It’s Friday, survived another night in Paradise. Ran out of oil and found an emergency stash of firewood.

Today it’s timber cart to woodpile for happiness.I’m shouting praises to foaming my basement crawl space.DIY $500 vs Pro $2900. Complete with hazmat suit, gloves and a 5-pak of N-95 masks, who knew 10 years later I'd need those masks to shop.🤣

House stayed at 60* despite temps in the teens, with a 2-log fire last night. Still have indoor plumbing and now oil.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem , agreed on preferred hiking in snow over rain.  Rarely go where postholing is necessary though (no Rockies or Sierras on the east coast), so my winter Vasque hiking boots usually suffice.  No need for snowshoes... yet; at least not in the mid-Atlantic. 🤞

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Sunday afternoon, Peeps!

Early this morning as I was waking up, I heard tapping on the window so I figured it was sleeting a bit as was forecast. On TV, the weatherwoman was saying it wouldn't be too bad and would change to rain. So I got human and ready to go to the grocery store. Looked out the window and saw it had stopped and there was just a little ice on the car. So I remote started the car, went back in the bathroom to finish up, put on my coat, opened the door and within that 5 minutes it had started to snow along with the sleet, and it was laying in the street and the driveway...just enough so that these dysfunctional knees would never make it to the car. Scratched the idea of grocery shopping for today. It cleared a couple of hours later and was just wet, but that was my EBay listing time, so tomorrow will be good enough for shopping. 

@Frozenoem...I use "Fluff" in my chocolate fudge! 😀

Those renegade Mummers just had to do their thing and "strut!"

Mummers.jpg

Froze...Hope you don't get too much snow!Froze...Hope you don't get too much snow!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey there, Folks!

Just popping in to say, "Hi!"Just popping in to say, "Hi!"

Where has everyone been?

@Frozenoem ...Glad to hear that you've dug yourself out.

We are in a dry spell for right now and through the weekend thank goodness. Chilly (27 this AM when I woke up), but not that bad for January in PA.

Not much going on around here, that's for sure. I have put away all the Christmas decorations for outside and inside the house. Next I will tackle the tree.

Made my bi-monthly trip to the bank and Fresh Market today. I felt like royalty...at the bank the security officer saw me coming and opened both doors for me, and the same on the way out. Not sure what that was all about, but it sure was nice to see and experience. 😺

Not that you care, LOL, but I picked up a crab cake for dinner and of course stopped at Starbucks! 😻

Food for thought...I was thinking about nothing specific the other day when I started to wonder why on Earth do they still run those idiotic commercials for some sort of laundry additive with the grown women who insist on smelling the dirty laundry from their hampers. The first (and every) time I see that commercial it turns my stomach. How disgusting! Pretty sure no adult friend of mine would take a nose dive into the dirty laundry hamper.

Have any of you seen those commercials and wondered...WHY?????

Bronze Conversationalist

Good Afternoon, Cat lovers!!!   I got a good chuckle our of your "kitty in the box" photo, cat woman!   No matter how many cat toys we buy for our kitties, it always seems they like a plain cardboard box the best!   Happy New Year!!

Trusted Contributor

Happy Sunday morning.  That's such a funny picture of the cat popping out of the hole.  We need something to make us laugh now-a-days.  One thing we know for sure where animals are concerned, they can definitely put a smile on our faces.  I really miss my little dachshund, Sidney, that I lost over a year ago.  It has been cool but dry here in Illinois this past week.  Hope everyone will have a good week.IMG_0013.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

16 sunn  the degrees in Maine, and no coffee to be found in house.😡

Guess I know where my first stop is, and then it’s back to work or at least looking at 5am surprise.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Monday afternoon, Porch Peeps!

Anyone for coffee?Anyone for coffee?

@LaDolceVita ...Laundry sheets! Yes! I had a co-worker years ago that always smelled like Bounce! Guess she just pulled her clothes right from the dryer and got dressed. I do use Bounce, but it has to be the Bounce Free, with no dyes or fragrance. Apparently the original was irritating my sensitive skin.

I am not sniffing the laundry!I am not sniffing the laundry!

@wvgirlforever ...It has also been dry here for the last 10 days, and the forecast looks the same until the weekend.

@Frozenoem ...oh, gee, I sure hope you got some coffee yesterday. That would just about lay me flat if I ran out.

So USPS has still been so late with the regular mail. Not sure why I keep getting all the junk mail, but not my bills. Spent a half hour online this morning creating an online account with the water company just so I could pay the bill which had never arrived. Grrrr! 😾

Another pet peeve...My buyer from last Sunday finally paid me today. When I sent a second invoice over the weekend, she said she would pay today; she was having money problems. My descriptions of my items always include, "please pay within 3 days." So my question to the cosmos is...Why do people bid on items when they don't have the money to pay for them?

Another Grrrr! 😾

Heard from a friend over the weekend that she had COVID. Not real bad, but her quarantine is over now and she still hasn't regained her sense of smell and taste. Yikes!

On the positive side...it's mostly sunny today, and chilly but not too bad. 😸

You all continue to stay safe!

Honored Social Butterfly

Afternoon 29* and partly cloudy, was hoping for snow fear rain and black ice in my future.If Saturday is a change.

@catwoman500 

Had to settle for Folgers and Green Mountain at local convenient, happiness will be shipped UPS.🤣

My shipped stuff has been arriving in normal time, post office is back to semblance of normal -pre Trump time.

Best guess sorting machines are being Re-assembled. Least that’s what PO says.

Need some Pilon expresso, it’s calling to me.

Froze

Recognized Social Butterfly

@catwoman500   I just had to laugh at the laundry sniffing.    I have my own laundry gripe.  When I walk with the dogs enjoying nature as much as I can with the traffic noise  surrounding us, I smell overwhelming fabric softener/drier sheets from my neighbor.   I use only unscented stuff because I get a bit sick smelling perfume used in most if not all products.  OK it is a small gripe and I like my neighbors, but yuck!  Looking forward to moving this year. 

Anyone know what is going on with deliveries?  Mom's medical supplies are not here and Amazon says most of my Subscribe & Save is not deliverable.

Honored Social Butterfly

21* sunny degrees in Maine.

@catwoman500 

Think most have been glUed to their tv’s keeping up with the bs at capital, admit so have I.

Re: Dumb commercials, uncle worked on Madison Avenue, and gave us the hit of OJ running through airport to get in his Hertz or Avis rental car.

Basic 101 make the mundane tasks of life exciting, no, I have no desire to sniff At my laundry basket and the fresh smells of my sheets.

But, how many will believe the wonderful new scents that shall arise from their sheets for days after laundering.

Time to play, need caffeine.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

New year coming in cold and rainy in VA.  No 1st-day hike for me this year.  Yeah, not into extended stays out in the rain.  Getting old(er). 👵

But that's OK.  Lot of changes and new traditions this past year.  We just need to be resilient and keep on getting on.

Cheers! 🥂

Conversationalist

Good Afternoon,

Happy 2021 everyone!  The fireworks were going off all over the city of Chicago before midnight.  Seemed really strange not watching the Rose Parade this morning, that was okay, just really strange a change in tradition.

While last year was different, the pits or whatever you call it let's make 2021 a better and posititve year!

Shari
Trusted Contributor

I live about 50 miles west of Chicago.  Do you live in the city proper? I heard a few fireworks going off before I went to bed but nothing after that.  Happy new year 😎

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I am in the city, 10 miles northwest of downtown.  Happy New Year to you and yours

Shari
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

@DaveMcK  Happy New Year!  It's been a while since I've been on this site.  Hope everyone will have a safe, healthy & happy new year.  Let's hope that we can get back to some semblance of normal, whatever that may be, during 2021.😁

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello, Porch Peeps!

Happy 2021!

For the first time in 80 years, The Mummer's Parade in Philly was cancelled, although apparently there were some renegade strutters on the streets.

After all the booming fireworks stopped last night I was able to sleep really well and didn't wake until almost 9 this AM. It was kind of boring being home on New Year's Eve for the first time in a while, but I enjoyed a glass of wine and watched the movie, The Holiday (with Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jude law, and Jack Black). I do mean that they were in the movie and not that I was physically watching it with them. LOL 😹

So, Peeps, enjoy the positive things that this new year is sure to bring, and try to forget the bad parts of 2020.

Stink stank stunk.jpg

2021.gif

Honored Social Butterfly

Afternoon all I live, survived New Year, and definitely hoping for an improvement this year.

@catwoman500 

About as Peep-like as I can easily stomach is Fluff, made in Lynn, MA or was it Somerville.

Awaiting snow, not a sign of dementia I just like snow. It’s better than rain in winter. Humidity is my enemy and creates pain.

Believe ALL outdoor activities were cancelled everywhere, for limited exposure to the plague/COVID-19. 

Enjoy all

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

21* And it’s snowing - expecting several inches of happiness. Snow is good, rain is bad, drought might be ending.

And perhaps another storm next week, I’m just not used to seeing all of this granite beneath all of the houses in the village, we’re down a foot from normal snowfall.

@catwoman500 
Caught the tail end of Mummer’s Parade on this mornings news, I now know what renegade marchers are🤣

@MsStretch 

Try your hikes in snowshoes, it’s easier and drier than rain. At least if powder and it stays below freezing. Otherwise for this old guy  it’s “lands end” squall jacket, rain pants, and plastered with heating pads.50 years later it’s still hanging on.

Time to play with snowblower, best guess for the moment a foot just slid off the roof.

5635FAAD-0A72-417A-BC6B-2F0AE57FAE18.jpeg

Froze

Recognized Social Butterfly

A spring day here @ 62 degrees for a high.  Winter coming back tomorrow for a high of 50.  Happy New Year folks.   My biggest wish for all of us (and all our pets) is to stay healthy in the coming year.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Contributor

WOW!  62 degrees, that's so far away from what it is here in Oswego, Illinois.  I just had my driveway shoveled this morning with the snow that came last night and there's some ice under it as well.  Guess I will have to go to the grocery store later and get some salt.  I ran out of it this morning!  I think we're supposed to get some more snow tomorrow as well.  It's winter so guess that's what should be expected in this area of the country.  Everyone have a great day 😎

Honored Social Butterfly

Good Wednesday morning 21* happy, sunny degrees this morning.

Finally got around to finishing digging and snowblowing out. Surprise squalls last night dumped a few inches.👍

Slowly getting used to barter and trade, for work performed. Have the stack of ribeyes in fridge now, awaiting freezing.

And my Christmas gift to me has landed, delivery finally 2-3 days out (maybe).

Need coffee, and to finish gluing a crossover down in 

speaker, I hope.

Froze

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP