Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! JULY - SEPTEMBER 2020 "CLOSED"

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! JULY - SEPTEMBER 2020 "CLOSED"

I have decided to move to September from here as our posts were down due to Summer. Hoping you are all well!

Goodbye-August-Hello-September-Sky-Saying-Quotes.jpg

Good Morning to the Front Porch and Welcome to JULY 2020 Goodbye JUNE 2020.

Hoping everyone has a great First Day OF JULY 2020.

106478-Goodbye-June-Hello-July2.jpg103369759_1335386866664823_4957395165083896669_n.jpg95257442_1302431963293647_8119179861093777408_n.jpg103816608_181942330015642_4409286387243731605_n.jpg103421-Goodbye-June-Hello-July.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Replies
Honored Social Butterfly

78* and happy Joe day/ night. Perpetual coffee drinker since 68 perhaps and IBEW, years are blending together.🤣

Feel a need for Kona at the moment.

Re: Vehicles only 2 lasted more than 350K and one gasser for 250K, for longevity and no fear from dings might I suggest UniMog or Mitsubishi Fuso both are bulletproof short wheelbase models.

Taller than the average shopping cart, Honda or Gwaggen. And will drive over most anything in the way, including trees, boulders.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Mornin’, All

Anyone watch the debacle…I mean debate last night? Can you say “train wreck?”

Was thinking of you, @LydiaN586309  when I woke in the middle of the night to heavy rain. I couldn’t get back to sleep until I heard the sweet sound of “HUMMMM….Purge” from the sump pump. Then I slept like a baby until about 8;00 when I woke to bright sun and a chilly breeze.

I may just go out and treat myself to my first Starbucks hot pumpkin drink of the season.

Hang in there, everyone!

Yum!Yum!

Honored Social Butterfly

62* and sunny morning, now!

@catwoman500 

Ayuh, watched and muted frequently. Someone could use lessons in debate vs screaming match, t seemed unable to answer questions or stay on topic.

Happy moment in town was neighbor pulling his support for all R’s shortly after t was corrected by Wallace on Obama’s healthcare and economy, from his lawn and storefront. 

I’ll at least record the next 3 debates, but, my mind was made up awhile back.Oct 7 VP’s, 15&22 Biden vs 💩.

As for who won, reports favor Biden by 70% vs the 💩 show.🤣

@LydiaN586309 

How did your basement do, if you got rain last night?

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500,  I loved the doggy drinking Starbucks coffee!  That just proves how smart animals can be and what good taste they have.  And thanks to both you and @Frozenoem for thinking about me and my basement during last night's rain.  It did, in fact, rain here, but my sump was a pumpin' and my basement stayed thankfully dry.

And @Frozenoem, I didn't get to see the debate last night either.  But I hear it was a hoot.  

Honored Social Butterfly

Spoiler
67* cloudy and actually cool, it’s fall y’all the colors are starting to appear on the trees.

Have a warm up coming later this weekend but, my back is saying different.

Dave I really hear you on the joy of snow removal, it surely gets old after the first 30-40 years, in snow country. About the same level of joy as 7 cords of firewood to 3 cords of cutting, splitting, stacking, drying, moving and removing to house.

Last year was a total PITA, broke my lower lumbar and balance was a bugger. Might be better this year, I’m hoping the snowblower is happy and ready to go👍, my back works👍 And balance is kinda returning if I just get used to these pills.

My roof ended up in MD, and I got a refund + for aggravation. Maybe next year, just don’t know.

Need coffee and food, these pills are messing with me.🤮

Froze
Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Fall, fall, Autumn!  Loving it!!!

03184d235942e44cf3fcd3e534811852.jpg

Good morning, Peepers!

It is a beautiful morning here in Michigan.  The sun is up and the sky is a lovely pale blue.  We have a wonderful temperature of 74 degrees. The birds are clamoring out back.  I assume they are in the midst of making plans for the winter while enjoying brunch.

Today, I have great intentions of tackling the continuing garage clean-out saga. I have made some good progress on my most recent efforts.  And I already have in mind the designated area I want to get done today.  So as my long gone mother used to say, "Little by little!" 

I've already had my breakfast with coffee and all.  I've showered and donned my work clothes.  I've lazed on the couch, simultaneously watching the birds outside and several episodes of my favorite HGTV TV shows--"Love It of List It."  It's now after Noon and not wanting the day to get away from me, I'm gonna get up and get outta here.  The garage is calling me.

Y'all enjoy your day and the remainder of the weekend. Wishing each one here a whole heap of...

OIP (18).jpg

Lydia

Trusted Social Butterfly

Happy Sunday, All

@LydiaN586309 …Yes! I have a ton of Goldfinches eating the seeds of my coneflowers. They are such chatty little birds, I can always tell when they come for a snack.

Yesterday there was a bird calling so close to the house, but I didn’t recognize the call. Went to look out the front door and it was what looked like a sparrow, but a tad different than a regular house sparrow, sitting on the evergreen bush outside the front window. The cry almost sounded like it was alarmed. No other birds in sight. Reminded me of the time I heard a similar loud call and looked out back to see a row of sparrows at the edge of the pool…one had fallen in! I had to rescue it.

Friday I drove up to my friend’s house for lunch and to play with her puppy. I’m not used to driving that far so I slept super well that night.

Today started off a bit damp, but now the sun is straining to make an appearance. Temps are comfy with a hint of humidity. 79, feeling like 81. Two more summer-like days in the forecast and then it changes on Wednesday.

Y’all take good care of yourselves!

cat intravenous coffee.jpg

So true!So true!

Honored Social Butterfly

Sunday 74* and cloudy, come on rain, drought less than wonderful.

If not for iPhone wouldn’t have a clue what day of the week it is. Apparently I volunteered to work earlier, 3 am what the heck.

Thought I was going to find sleigh runners today, don’t think that will happen🤣.Garage was formerly a barn before sills fell in.

Guess it’s coffee instead, think my sleeping habits will be off for awhile.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

71* and a groggy Monday morning to all, had to work last night and still upright, forgot to silence my ringer.

Won’t happen again I hope, it rained for an hour during the hour I slept.

Need caffeine to breathe this AM. 

Froze

Recognized Social Butterfly

The big news is that my car was returned to me on Saturday.  Hopefully it can run another few years.  Not only do I fear the high insurance costs and the price of a new car, I fear driving one.  The dings from the shopping cart.  I do dumb stuff sometimes and get dings. 

No more heat & humidity for a while, heading into October the beautiful.  All is well my people and critter family.

Honored Social Butterfly

lke gif.gif

Morning, Peeps!

Isn't fall just beautiful?  Quiet. Relaxing. Cool Days. Nature's slowing down--falling asleep...little by little.  I'm enjoying this season more than ever probably because of the harshness of this past spring and summer what with so much inclement weather and having to deal with the pandemic and all. But now, I am finding myself slowing down and feeling more at peace.  It's a sunny yet cool 53 degrees right now.  We're only expecting a high of 63 which is fine with me. Variety of colors lovely!

@LaDolceVita, I'm glad you got your car back and hope you can eek out many more miles out of it.  I, too, have an older car.  Mine has over 200,000 miles on it now.  But it is paid off.  So I do my best to keep up with timely oil changes and regular maintenance.  With retirement looming, I really don't want to take on any new big debt if I can help it. 

@catwoman500,  you to seem to enjoy our fine feathered friends.  Sometimes their chatter sounds like an unruly rock concert with everyone chirping and cawing--striving to be heard over each other.  But I love tending to them, the company of them, and am so excited when a new sighting sends me to the computer in search of it's identity.  I had such  sighting just yesterday, but after searching my computer, I have yet to be sure just what kind of bird it was.  But it was lovely still.

Well, it's time for a hot cup of creamy, sugary coffee, a load or two of laundry, and then my afternoon nap.  Ahhhhh, the rhythm of life!!!!

wink.gif

Take care Peepers and BE GOOD TO YOU!

Lyds

Trusted Social Butterfly

Morning, Porch Peeps.

Happy National Coffee Day! Have a cuppa Joe!

happy national coffee day.png

I bought this shirt last year so I’d be ready to celebrate “National Coffee Day 2020.”

Enjoy a cuppa Joe today!Enjoy a cuppa Joe today!

Heater maintenance guys coming today. Hope I don’t have to use it for a while.

Hope everyone is doing well!

@LaDolceVita ... Yay for you getting your car back!

Time for more Joe!

Ahhh!Ahhh!

Honored Social Butterfly

krispy-kreme-doughnut-clipart-20.gif

Thanks for reminding us @catwoman500!

Here are some great coffee deals for coffee's special day:

Krispy Kreme: Free coffee and donut from Krispy Kreme on National Coffee Day for Krispy Kreme Rewards members – no purchase necessary. Guests who are not yet members can sign up through the Krispy Kreme app or on the Krispy Kreme site and get a free donut as a reward. All guests, rewards member or not, can enjoy free brewed coffee at Krispy Kreme on Sept. 29 at participating locations. No purchase necessary.

Pilot Flying J: Looking for a FREE cup of the “best coffee on the interstate?” On Sept. 29, in honor of National Coffee Day, grab a cup of any hot or cold Pilot coffee (any size!) for free, including the limited time Nicaraguan or Vanilla Cold Brew. Satisfy those pumpkin cravings by adding a little pumpkin pie creamer to your cup ’o joe. Find over 620 Pilot Flying J travel centers and convenience stores across the country.

Dunkin’: For one day only, on National Coffee Day, Dunkin’ will be offering a FREE medium hot or iced coffee with any purchase. 

Tim Hortons: From Sept. 28 through Oct. 26, Tim Hortons’ U.S. guests can purchase any size hot or iced coffee for $0.99 through the Tim Hortons app or at timhortons.com. Modifications would be at an extra charge.

Walmart: Offering a variety of deals in honor of National Coffee Day, Sept. 29, Walmart is going strong with sales on Keurig Coffee Systems, Starbucks Coffee Pods, McCafe Coffee Pods, the Takeya 2-quart Cold Brew Coffee Maker, Hamilton Beach 2-Way Brewer, and more.

Lydia

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

120090682_10223161993217975_1772173315145518399_n.jpg119070850_5220055008020180_7785716306265231573_n.jpg

image-H3m9K5uu87GbyUnVpsxX.png118255486_1727344897417266_1792935175614697227_o.jpg117084160_10213447124053059_1288091995463365138_n.jpgRFV242256-WHITE-LEFT-CFM.jpgSteve-Jobs-The-Only-Way-inspirational-quote.png

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this Monday morning in 2020. We are expecting temps in the lower 70's with a small chance of rain!.

Hoping everyone will  have a restful day and weekend.

Because of back issues I was not able to do very little around the house an yard. I found myself highering many things done from snow removal, yard work to plumbing, installing a couple of ceiling fans. I was lucky to have our 3 daughter's and son-in-laws to help with planting 200 flowering bulbs a couple of years ago

Our biggest news is we close on the sale of the house on Wednesday and deposited a nice check in the bank. 

I'm watching the ceremony for Justice Gindsburg at the National Capital and waiting for a housekeeper to clean our unit which is included in our monthly fee. This is one of the things Mary never had at the house.

We will be in the upper 70's with a chance of rain Sunday. 

Honored Social Butterfly

1280716_3d.jpg

Congrats, Dave, on the sale of your house!  And...

1008W.png

...may you and the Missus have many enjoyable years in your new abode.

Lyds

Honored Social Butterfly

Afternoon all 61*, last night started my first wood fire, temptation hit @31*. Trying to resist the urge to use oil.

1/2 an hour later the entire house was warm, think all of that insulation has helped.

Time to make some kindling and prepare for later in week, when temp’s heat up again.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Got my flu shot yesterday at a nearby CVS.  I set up my appointment online and they had a checklist of vaccines to choose from saying you could pick up to four shots.  So I scrolled through it and decided to throw in a shingles vaccine.  Kept scrolling before I said to myself, "What AM I doing?  I must think this is some candy list or something and I can pick up to 4 of my faves". 🙄  Kept the shingles, but 2 is enough.

Yesterday the temps dropped to low 60s - high 50s when sun went down, and I got chilled.  Running with the furkids helped a little, but I was cold and I was throwing on layers.  Thought about turning on heat, but it was 71° inside and I couldn't justify it.  Anyway, I could not warm up (goose bumps, shivering) and cranked my mattress pad up to high and had 2 blankets and a snuggie on top of that.   

I kept telling myself I can't be getting sick after I had 2 shots.  Reaction?  Never had a reaction before and no allergies.  Getting older? (Sorry, @Frozenoem .)  We went from very warm days to chilly days overnight and I just think I haven't had time to properly "acclimate" yet.

Feeling better today, but got my long pants, long sleeves, and jacket on.  (Almost pulled out the Cuddl-duds, too. 😁)

Recognized Social Butterfly

@MsStretch   The first shingles shot  gave me the chills and had my teeth chattering.    Took about 16 hours to feel better.  The second one  made me feel bad, no chills though.   @DaveMcK  Good stuff about  the equinox. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Happy Fall, All!

Peanuts fall.gif

It’s been pretty darn chilly these past few mornings. I’ve come close to turning on the heat, but usually wait for the yearly maintenance check which is scheduled for next week. Lots of shivering going on here. LOL Feels like temps were in the high 30’s Saturday AM!

Is anyone else having to log in to AARP each time recently? This is annoying.

@Frozenoem ... Got an email yesterday that my ballot was being prepared and will be here soon. YAY!

@MsStretch ,  @LaDolceVita …got my first shingles shot earlier this summer and am able to get the next one after 9/29. Asked if I needed and appointment for that second one, and the pharmacist said, “No, the second one is now in our refrigerator with your name on it.” I feel so special. LOL. I also need my flu shot which I will get at the doc next month, and need one of those 3-in-1 boosters for tetanus, diphtheria, and whooping cough, but the pharmacist said it was not a good idea to get another shot with the shingles shot. I wasn’t sick, but that night, my arm got red and sore. It lasted a week…just sayin’.

Hairdresser again tomorrow. Wahoo!

You all enjoy the first day of Fall!

cat in basket of leaves.gif

Honored Social Butterfly

Greetings, Porchlanders!

2d2028e1ef5ec2a37d217fabd7f61ded.jpg

I see there’s a lotta talk on the Porch about shingles and flu and shingles shots.  Well, I had the shingles several years ago and though I hope never to get them again, I won’t be taking the vaccine for it or the flu.  Got terribly ill from the first and last flu shot I got a few years ago.  So I’ll be stepping up on my vitamins, minerals, rest, proper diet, and good hygiene practices.

Over the past week, my adventures in home ownership continued as I spent about half a day replacing the inner workings of my lone toilet.  I noticed I wasn’t getting enough water in the bowl to provide a complete flush.  Upon inspection of the inside of upper tank, the flush valve literally broke off in my hand.  Also, I found the fill value that lets the water into the tank was defective as well.  So I set about to replace all of the inner parts.

After watching a couple of YouTube videos on the subject, I ventured to the Home Depot and got a bunch of parts (more than I needed really, but just to be on the safe side).  I turned off the water to the house and flushed the toilet to remove as much water from the tank as I could and toweled up the remainder. Next, I disconnected the water supply line from the tank (that's the line that brings the water from the house into the tank itself).  Then I had to remove the tank (the upper part) from the bowl (where one sits).  There were three bolts holding the two parts together.  All were very rusty, but with the help of WD-40, I managed to loosed and remove two of them.  But as one might expect, the third bolt and nut were fused together and wouldn’t budge.  So I got my trusty reciprocating saw and attached a saw blade for metal and took to cuttin’.  In short order, the bolt gave way and I was able to detach the tank from the bowl. 

Once separated, I was able to work to remove the fill value, flush value, the ballcock, the flapper, and the gasket (which I had to saw off because my wrench wasn't big enough to get around it to loosen it.  But once all the parts were out, I decided to clean out the inside of the tank (removing as much corrosion and stain as possible).  Then while reading the accompanying instructions, I was able to piece by piece install all of the new parts; even upgrading the system by eliminating the old ballcock entirely.  No more "running" toilet or need to readjust that arm or ball.  

So after everything was reassembled and the last bolt was tightened, I turned the water back on and eagerly waited for the tank to refill for it's first test.  (Of course, by now I needed to use the toilet myself!)  But after checking for leaks, I flushed.  Eureka!  No leaks! In fact, it worked beautifully and was wonderfully quiet.  And the best part of it all, I saved hundreds of dollars doing the job myself and that was the next best thing about the whole adventure; the best thing being finally able to shut the bathroom door and make use of my handiwork. Smile.

165820.jpg

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309 

The magic of YouTube and an old copy of Readers Digest home ownership repair manual has helped me through many repairs.

When dealing with heavy rust 3 Monks industrial strength vinegar works wonders, have used on plumbing, wood stoves and trailer hitches breaks the rust naturally. Oil and wood stoves aren’t necessarily good together🤣.

Good job on lack of fear at attacking plumbing, especially toilets. Took me 5 years to find one shutoff valve beneath the house to turn off hot water feed to toilet. It used to be accepted practice to keep toilets from freezing in Maine, great idea until oil went from .50 gallon to $2.00 and up.

Better idea to me was insulating the crawl space and granite foundation.DIY spray on foam👍, keeps basement/attic  warm and first floor even without heat or electricity for 4 days, length of last ice storm.

Course for that storm I used RV antifreeze just to be safe. First -20* and no snow Winter in history up here, 2001.

Time to get moving, need to get food in. Magic pills require food.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Greetings, Porch Peepers!

giphy (4).gif

It is FINALLY Friday and I am soooooooooooooooooooooooo happy!  It's been a longer week than some others. If you know what I mean.  The days dragged by like slowly poured thick molasses.  But at least we have now arrived and I can say, "T.G.I.F.!"

The weather is changing now.  Fall is here!  The leaves are beginning to change color--reds, golds, orange, and most yet still green.  We are having lower temps which is perfectly alright with me.  But during the day, the sun keeps things pretty comfortable.  And at night, I find myself wearing my light jacket.  This is fall  and I'm glad to be in it.

This week my birdfeeders attracted a couple of new visitors; two little yellow birds with black markings at the wing.  Turns out these were two American Goldfinches.  I looked "em up.

OIP (15).jpggold-finch-171861192-resized-58a6ea623df78c345b623869 (1).jpg

OIP (14).jpg

These were new and I was very excited to find them in my yard--feeding and making use of the birdbaths.  Seems every time I change up my feed,  I get different birds not seen before.  Bird watching has become a comforting and relaxing past time for me.

@Frozenoem, I agree with you that You Tube is a great source for information on many subjects and I have made it my "go-to" resource when doing home and car repairs.  It's a good place to pick up tasty recipes as well.  As for tackling the toilet fix, my concern never was "if" I could do the job.  My concern was could I get it disassembled, new parts installed, and the toilet reassembled before I had a desperate need to use it!  Smile.  Thank goodness it all turned out okay.

@catwoman500, I really liked you Charlie Brown animation in your last post.  The kitty was nice too.

4e64d54d7b7432d2eb61873b68551eaf.gif

Stay well and safe, everybody!  Masks on.  And remember to practice social distancing even when taking a stroll with friends. 😋

Lyds

Kudos
Views
Trusted Contributor

Happy HUMP DAY!!!  It's a beautiful morning here in Oswego, IL.  However, it's supposed to head toward 80 today.  I've so been enjoying this cooler weather.  This is the time of the year that I love the most and that makes me feel the best.

I am one of those who gets the vaccinations as soon as it's possible to get them.  I just completed the 2 step shingles shot and also got the flu shot.  As I am one of those at high risk because of age and health problems, i do as instructed by the doctor.  I don't ever have any type of reaction to the flu shot.  My arm was sore after the shingles shot but that was about it.   I would prefer not to either get the flu or the shingles if at all possible.

You are certainly something to be able to take that toilet apart and replace parts and then put it back together.  Luckily I rent, so a phone call would have been made to the landlord right away 🤣

Have a great day

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita , @catwoman500 , Aha!  So the shingles vaccine most likely is the culprit.  And yes, my arm was red and very sore, too; it still is tender.  🙁 First time for me, too.  (Like I said, I was just blithely checking off items like some 'candy list', but I have known peeps who got shingles and it ain't fun.)  Pharmacist told me I need 2nd shot in 2-6 months.

I received my ballot yesterday.  As soon as I get someone to witness me opening it, it will be on its way.  The voter registrar office is closer to me than post office, so guess where it's going.

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch ...Right! Shingles are not fun. I just had a mild case and it was so weird...over my left eye and on that side of my head! Just touching my hair was so painful. I am getting the shots because the doc said you can get it again! 🙀

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this Monday morning in 2020. We are expecting temps in the lower 70's with a small chance of rain!.

Hoping everyone has a restful day.

The first day of fall 2020 is nearly here.

The arrival of autumn means cooler, shorter days, the annual explosion of color from fall foliage, and the inevitable clock change that comes with the end of daylight saving time.

Fall 2020 in the northern hemisphere begins on Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2020, with the autumnal equinox.

MAYGJS3PCNH27NNVGTP7T576LY.jpeg

AUTUMNAL EQUINOX 2020: THE FIRST DAY OF FALL

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this Thursday morning in 2020. We are expecting temps in the mid 60's with little chance of rain in the near future.

We have finally had someone come in to hang pictures in our apartment. 

The paint on the left was do by Mary's fatherThe paint on the left was do by Mary's father119418601_10223112543581765_5580781155220511278_n.jpg

We have heard from my sister Diane and our niece Amy that the fires were 30 miles West of them. They live in Brookings, Oregon on the Pacific Coast. Photos show fire in the distance and road signs on roads running West of Brookings. 

Link: https://www.brookings.or.us/298/Wildland-Fire-Information

119043240_10224112014450712_8582129530544511769_n.jpg119043646_1986823771448357_5344741776019810376_n.jpg118996076_3424412310957844_3569247535419656854_n.png

Honored Social Butterfly

Thursday afternoon 62* and we now have West coast smoke in our air. Got warnings last night for freeze possible tonight, gotta love New England tail pipe weather.

Groggy think ai slept 12 hours, courtesy of side effects, need coffee. And setup livery service.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Friday afternoon all 63 sunny .where’s @PattyDiane ?

Early voting in VA is 2 football fields long with masks and social distancing and lack of trust in Post office delivering the ballots in time.

https://youtu.be/fm-i2CaiHRQ

Suddenly happy in 750 population Maine at least my town. Just need to stay alive and upright.

Didn’t get deep freeze last night👍, hopefully a few more weeks of temperate temps, need to ReEpoxy a 9x7’ garage door, needs 24 hours above 50*. Took longer than expected to make a 9 foot long clamp🤣.

Still walking upright, almost getting used to new pills, no longer just mature I guess, sorry @MsStretch  I might be old.

Need to pack a nap sack and deliver two more friends to final resting spots, that means I do know R’s and used to count them as friends and one as a partner in biz. Only 5 miles each way, moderate hike, on an almost road in.Gated of course.

@N566192l are any of these your funky seed pods.

B67E7928-059E-4579-8F5D-0143E8207D83.jpeg

Froze

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP