Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 201 of 238

Hey, Peepers!

@catwoman500, you gave me my first chuckle for the day. "How?" say you.  Well, you started off your post by saying that "not much" had happened in your world and then you went on to list a bountiful number of events that had taken place.  Maybe not some great big happening, but the small things which make up our daily routines of life which are just as interesting.

@Frozenoem, I loved the bear pic too.  I really like bears, but NOT up close unless they are in the form of a small, stuffed, teddy bear.  Otherwise, I'll stick to visiting the bears at the zoo--thick bars and a deep moat between us. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 202 of 238

Good morning, Everybody!

c.-Cappuchino-desserts.jpg

It's Monday and the week is just getting started and I am already tired.  I spent much of this past weekend and even up until this very morning working outside in the yard.  Mowing, bush-whacking, tree-hacking, weed-pulling, and then the cleaning up of mounds and mounds of yard waste.  Whew!  So when I say I'm tired, I really mean to say it like some country folks do... "I'm tarrrrred!!!"  Smile.

The biggest part of my yard labors involved one very enormous bush in my back yard.  This bush had grown so large that it had engulfed the overhead telephone and cable lines.  That's what fueled my determination to even begin to tackle the bush giant.  So after two and  a half days, the use of a heavy duty bush whacker and an equally heavy duty reciprocating saw, and several trips up and down my wooden ladder in order to navigate around the behemoth,  I can now say the beast has been tamed.

The biggest discovery was once I was able to go all the way around the bush and after I was able to get to the center of bush while raking out all of the cut branches and debris, I found to my surprise that what "looked" like one big bush, was in fact, eight (8) individual bushes that over the years had grown together and formed this one big massive bush. Eight bushes!  So even though the bush is still in one piece, as it were, it is much smaller and much more shapely.  And now the birds who had scattered while I worked, have all returned to the feeders which are primarily situated around this bush.  They are enjoying themselves--filling their tiny bellies.  And I am enjoying them while relaxed in the coolness of my family room and watching through my patio doors.

doves.jpg

Despite the pandemic, the extreme heat, and the recent thunderstorms which resulted in power outages, I'm so happy summer's here!  Cuz I remember Mr. Frosty.  Smile.

Oh, and of course, coffee has been served.......by me! 

Take care Porch Peeps.  Stay safe and healthy.

Lydia

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 203 of 238

Hi, Everyone,

Not much to say since not much has happened or will, it seems. Ho Hum!

Acme yesterday AM as usual. Scored a canister of Clorox wipes. It’s like winning the lottery.

Ear doc appt. this AM. Sinus pressure was clogging my ear. Needed an expert’s opinion, and when I was at the dentist last week he said it wasn’t the tooth causing it. He was right, and the ear doc fixed me up in a jiffy.

Yesterday afternoon it was 90 degrees at 4 PM. It was sunny and breezy, just wished the temp was lower so we could have actually enjoyed the breeze. Another story today. It’s sunny again with another nice breeze, but this time we have lower humidity. I was able to have my coffee on the porch this AM. It’s 82 right now and will stay in the 80’s today! Hoping I can keep the windows open today and tonight. 😺

Talked to my friend in SC last evening. They had gone to their MB house for a month since they couldn’t go during the winter. They are planning to come home next week, but they know that they will have to self-quarantine for 2 weeks since now PA has upped the number of states (to 19) from which people coming into our state will have to self-quarantine. Having a hard time phrasing that! HA! Hope you get my drift!

Lots of “no shoes, no shirt, no mask, no service” going on in the surrounding states. I feel bad for the business owners. Do you send potential business away or risk the consequences the idiots that are not wearing the masks will bring?

@Frozenoem ...That is one big mama bear!

Stay safe!

Iced coffee in the garden, ahh!Iced coffee in the garden, ahh!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 204 of 238

Morning-ish all, hazy, hot and humid all weekend SMH in displeasure.

Thunderstorms, heavy rains for hours on end, step outside for 10 -40 minutes, matters not on time your soaked when you return. And that was in garage🤣.

Made a dent on cleaning out or preparing for pickup and hauling to transfer station. Love to have a cold snap about now, 100* in the mountains is a bit much, with 80% humidity.

Had tornado 40 minutes away, waterspouts on lake, and people are having meltdowns in cities. And a mama bear at feeder, cubs were nearby but, I didn’t want to mess with family. That paw was not a wave she had claw on feeder for ez pouring.

551F7B7D-71AE-417F-B6DD-81A2B8DA5F9E.jpeg

Unfortunately need to go back to heat of garage, with many trips into house and A/C cooling.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 205 of 238

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this very sunny Sunday morning on July 12th, 2020! We are looking at a high of 81* and sunny skies.

Been a busy time last week as we are trying to downsize the house. 

Hoping that everyone is having a restful weekend so far. 

Starting Monday our country has increased the mask requirement laws with heavy fines of around $300.00 if you enter buildings like a grocery store or drugstore without a mask. In other words "no shoes, no shirt and no mask no service". 

1080x360.jpeggood-night-quotes24-1572463183.jpg107097647_3265711496801835_8444988199412371163_o.jpg96266986_1306237579579752_166347618132164608_n.jpg101651915_146321420303492_7964722116891246592_n.jpg97403655_10222280585300286_2905342919575601152_n.jpgSAFER-AT-HOME_FS-860x484.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 206 of 238

@catwoman500   Good for you, having Starbucks coffee again!   They advertise having a whole mouthful of those implants done all at once.  Yikes, i would want to be sedated for a week after that.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 207 of 238

@catwoman500 

July 13,17,25,29

Aug2,and 6 in NW skies

Think linked article had it visible at 80 minutes before sunrise and 80 after sundown. Could be wrong on the 80 minutes when.

Only definite is the dates. That should give everyone a chance of viewing with eye, binoculars , telescopes or lenses and cameras.

If using non digital cameras like film shutter speed of B , would keep shutter open longest time.

Digital might use scene>night landscape. Course I’ve yet to see one setting on all digital cameras.

So, ai’m charging all now😇.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 208 of 238

Happy Friday, Porch Peeps,

We are enjoying (?) the effects of tropical storm Fay at the moment and all day apparently. Looks like it is raining sideways right now. Very tropical looking out there…all we need is palm trees.

The only good thing is that the temps are staying in the 70’s. The bad thing is that I can’t open the windows to enjoy the lower temps. Mother Nature giveth and then taketh away. Just glad I don’t have to venture out today.

My follow-up appt. with the periodontist yesterday was good. I can now drink with a straw, brush my teeth normally in the area of the implant, and start using Listerine again. Celebrated by stopping at…you guessed it, Starbucks, for an iced mocha on my way home.

The bad thing is that I still have to keep chewing on the left side of my mouth for 3 more months.

@LaDolceVita ...wow, that must have been a real mess at the mailbox! Be careful out there!

@Frozenoem ...when is the comet?...not standing out in the rain if it's tonight! LOL

All stay safe!

It's raining...time for coffee!It's raining...time for coffee!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 209 of 238

Friday afternoon all, oppressive heat, dew points in sweltering land. Stepped on porch and hit with wave of heat and instant drip factor.

Topical storm remnants will be gone by weekend, I’m hoping not used to this type moisture.

Hope everyone tries for their Neowise Comet pictures. 5-10 seconds or longer shutter speed and tripod, work best for using available light.

https://www.space.com/comet-neowise-space-station-astronaut-video.html

Froze

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 210 of 238

Another mail box related update.  I realized that the flashing lights I saw on July 3rd in my driveway at 2 AM was a tow truck.   I looked out  after protracted  barking and thought it looked like a tow vehicle but did not relate it to mailbox until days later.  DUH!! There are also missing pieces from a  phone pole nearby, skid marks all over the place.   Maybe more than 1 car involved and no police report.   I consider checking mail box a dangerous thing to do now.  

The weather I like to complain about is here, looks like it will stay.  The countdown to September begins.  We usually get a whiff of fall by then even if it warms up again. 

@DaveMcK  I bet they are saying the same about the rain in China!   About it going away and staying away I mean 😊.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit