Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! CLOSED

FB_IMG_1546036171423.jpgGood morning to everyone on the Front Porch! Welcome to 2019. We had an overnight snow to ring in the new year. Going to be a slow day today. 

FB_IMG_1546378733946.jpg

Happy-New-Year-Best-Wallpaper-2019-Download-3.jpgFB_IMG_1546354019900.jpgFB_IMG_1546354010963.jpgFB_IMG_1546354004957.jpgFB_IMG_1543890517705.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Recognized Social Butterfly

Catwoman500,

Thanks for the reminder about the stamps. I have to stock up. I still do things old school. Having someone to pump our gas in New Jersey is great 👌, as long as we remember not every State offers this. I think we are getting more rain today. Please stay safe and warm.  Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

@n566192l 

Thanx Chelli is beneath the blanket now, caught a ride with neighbor to PO.

She loves the salmon treats, more than her pan seared salmon, forgot that it’s been awhile since ai fished on lake.

Now, it’s time for heat wood, and more shoveling. It’s official 4 foot of snow, here .

Shoveled out the front door finally🤣👍.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!

Frozenoem,

Glad to hear. The heated bed will be sent soon. Along with other supplies. I have some stuff for you as well.  Nancy

Frozenoem,

Please check to see if the gift cards are in the box. I am not sure if there in the box I sent. They might be in one of the other 2. Nancy

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

35* and raining may hit 40* before temps plummet this weekend to normal.

Time to play with scrapers, Ice-ing, and clear another door - yeah!

@n566192l 

Got card, etc. Chelli likes and approvesChelli likes and approves

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem   I'm really laughing here at the Chelli picture.  Are you sure she approves?  None of mine would approve of clothing.  But then they have never heard of Maine.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

To be honest I used to think coats were “foo foo” accessories for small yappers , fashionable city dogs.

BUT, then I moved to my area of Western Mass and then Western Maine. Hunting vests for humans and dogs/cows/horses for the occasional twit local or from away that shoots from the road and thinks that Shepherd was a moose.Or that person hanging clothes in her backyard was a white tail deer, he killed the flash of white mitten she was wearing.

it says something when you drive on coast or inland and see bright orange painted cows or horses wearing orange blankets. I’ve seen similarly attired animals on East Coast and West and Mid country.

All my guys have worn Orange hunting vests or coats. If it’s wearing clothing it’s not game and the human with or near it, might not shoot the 💩 😡  who just shot your cat/Pekingese/or ?

Neighbor has found ideal booties for his Great Dane, lab, and retrievers. I’m trying to find similar for my guy, sizings a bugger with webbed feet. Ideal means they fit and don’t walk like ducks wearing them.

At the temps of night lately ms -Chelli appreciates a little warmth.

Last night -10 below. Took 3 minutes for business completion.😁

So, that’s my excuse and I’m sticking with it. My last 4 dogs have been striped, coats are required. They could pass for wolf/coyotes (year round season)I’ll keep them in coats/Vests/etc.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem   I share the concern over pets getting shot, not where I live but on the homestead.  We found a deer stand on our place, no idea if anyone is using it.  Could have belonged to deceased former owner.   I can imagine "dressing" multiple dogs in 90 degrees! 

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Morning 6* and cloudy, expecting white particulate matter to beginning falling. Yeah, snow beats ice for walking.

In 90* weather their vests are either Mesh or Flotation reason being I know where I’ll be at 90* and wouldn’t be on land unless a cold one were at hand.🤣

Your on your own for tree stands, I pulled the ladders from the pines after insurance agent told me I’d be responsible for injuries.

30’ up gives a better than average field of view, only became agitated when ice chests and cots, chairs went up in tree.

Time to camo up ms. Chelli

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

@LaDolceVita 

Morning 6* and cloudy, expecting white particulate matter to beginning falling. Yeah, snow beats ice for walking.

In 90* weather their vests are either Mesh or Flotation reason being I know where I’ll be at 90* and wouldn’t be on land unless a cold one were at hand.🤣

Your on your own for tree stands, I pulled the ladders from the pines after insurance agent told me I’d be responsible for injuries.

30’ up gives a better than average field of view, only became agitated when ice chests and cots, chairs went up in tree.

Time to camo up ms. Chelli

Froze

@Frozenoem  The liability is a new angle for me!  thanks for mentioning it.  We did not find it until about the 5th or 6th time we visited the property, making a special effort to see that portion.   If we take it down they may put it back up!  It is actualy too cold to go there  now.  Expecting winter storm tomorrow.  Woman Embarassed

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

If it’s your land and you don’t plan on hunting it, Post it.

No hunting without permission of owner, and remove stand.

Fair warning keep the stand owner may appear to retrieve it.

You’ll find out who owned it.

Although a friend formerly from here now living in GA, he did gain the hassle of someone who had been hunting his land since he was a babe, and thought he had inherited rights to hunt for ever.

Court said no!

Froze

Greetings All,

Well, the sun is shining, but still cold . 

Since my community doesn't have it's own police department, the New Jersey State Police, patrol our streets.  I thought I heard gun shuts.. I guess I had . Someone shot and killed 4 white deer during the night. Since, I understand this deer are very rare, it's a shame.  My neighborhood contacted a local sanctuary for the dear. At first we all thought they were goats. We started posting on Next Door, were we where told they were actually white deer. I see an animal group here, taking report s as to were the othes have been sited. Hope all works out for the deer. Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe.

Greetings All,

I must say life is funny 😂. Since I had no clue how highly trained Mr Pickle's was and his owner agreed to have him ride with The State Police, he is here.  Mr Pickles is helping to catch the Individuals responsible for the deer shooting.  I understand, Mr Pickles will be able to close this case soon.  The Troopers here are great, plus they understand the tells of mr. Pickles. I am just happy mr. Pickles, is able to maintain his skills, meet great men and get all the attention he definitely deserves.  Nancy

Trusted Social Butterfly

@n566192l wrote:

Greetings All,

I must say life is funny 😂. Since I had no clue how highly trained Mr Pickle's was and his owner agreed to have him ride with The State Police, he is here.  Mr Pickles is helping to catch the Individuals responsible for the deer shooting.  I understand, Mr Pickles will be able to close this case soon.  The Troopers here are great, plus they understand the tells of mr. Pickles. I am just happy mr. Pickles, is able to maintain his skills, meet great men and get all the attention he definitely deserves.  Nancy

@n566192l I am glad too Nancy.  What a name, Mr Pickles Woman LOL

Greetings All

Sunny and cold in Shrewsbury Township. Just going to be cleaning today. We, might get a storm this week, need to catch up on laundry. My poodle and Crestapo love wearing coats, those small dogs. Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their day.  Nancy

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, All,

Partly sunny today. Cold but not as cold as it's going to get later this week. Brrr!

Had to go to the post office and dollar store this morning, am headed out for dinner later this evening. That's about as exciting as it gets around here. Cat LOL  N.

Frozenoem,

The Troopers have items for Ms. Chelli they're going to be dropping off to me for mailing. I explained where you lived 😂 and showed them the pictures. No worries 😊. I will get it right 😁. Plus, the booties that let dogs walk in them. Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

23* and snowing again.

@n566192l 

I admit I looked at NJ deer hunting season and can’t make head nor tails of it.

But, it sounds like you had poachers, hope the SPD hang ‘them high. Up here it’s forbidden to shoot at night or now, past season.

Re: Booties neighbor is looking for the brand name, he was sent a trial set for $10 bucks including shipping. The joy of snow and ice on dog pads with webbed feet. His boy ate the labels but, boots are still intact.

When they step on snow ice, webs allow a little more spread that can trap snow/ice between toes.

His horse, um Great Dane was walking like it always had worn booties vs slipping and sliding around in them.

Graceful movement from his Marmaduke is a miracle.

And now, I need to play in garage seem to have had an oopsie with icecycle meets glass.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Porch Peeps!

Can't believe it is 60 right now at almost 3 PM. Has been raining since last night but promises to stop soon. Had to go out in it this morning, but at least it was warm. I need to go out again when it stops and try to get the corner of the pool cover out of the pool before it re-freezes. It had come loose in the wind last week and before I realized, it had frozen into the pool. I am so getting too old for this nonsense! Cat Frustrated

Stay warm and dry! N.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

35* and raining may hit 40* before temps plummet this weekend to normal.

Time to play with scrapers, Ice-ing, and clear another door - yeah!

@n566192l 

Got card, etc. Chelli likes and approvesChelli likes and approves

Froze

Chelli looks downright dapper... and toasty warm.

And I thought I spoiled my feral (or more accurately - SEMI-feral) cats with their heated huts and igloos.

Frozenoem,

Glad the coat fits Ms Chelli. I guess an XXL is needed. The cooling vests maybe to small, but will send out large size any way. Welcome to everyone on the front porch 😁👍. I am Nancy, from New Jersey. I write grants, try to place homeless veterans. I watch dogs, while service people are deployed. I also volunteer for Food Not Bombs, in Asbury Park, NJ..

Honored Social Butterfly

@n566192l wrote:

Frozenoem,

Glad the coat fits Ms Chelli. I guess an XXL is needed. The cooling vests maybe to small, but will send out large size any way. Welcome to everyone on the front porch 😁👍. I am Nancy, from New Jersey. I write grants, try to place homeless veterans. I watch dogs, while service people are deployed. I also volunteer for Food Not Bombs, in Asbury Park, NJ..

Nancy, my father was from NJ.  Growing up, whenever he was stationed on the east coast (career Army), my father would take the family to his parents' summer home in Ocean Grove, so yes, been to Asbury Park a few times.  Been many, many years though ('50s, '60s) and I daresay the area has changed a lot since I've been there.

You do admirable work, Nancy.

Frozenoem,

Sending out the other 2 boxes this week. More gift cards will be included. Hope you and Ms Chelli are doing well? Everyday is an adventure for you. My Aunt in Saratoga springs New York, has had many snow stories also. See, she owns trotter's and things have gotten scary due to Stormy weather.   Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

She’s not spoiled but, deserving had a rough life before I got her.

Welcome to morning roll call, will no doubt see you elsewhere🤣.

cats/dogs all need spoiling. Balanced with long chats sometimes, like when they move the couch to see their humans better.🤬

@catwoman500 

Second you on that, gone from shoveling 4 feet to scraping ice.

Who knew rain freezes on concrete, if ground frozen 5 foot down.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

@MsStretch 

Welcome to morning roll call, will no doubt see you elsewhere🤣.

Yes, you will.  Gotta rant and rave and get out my frustrations somewhere.

cats/dogs all need spoiling. Balanced with long chats sometimes, like when they move the couch to see their humans better.🤬

New cat has run in house a couple of times.  Doesn't move couches, but likes to open drawers and sling contents out.  Also has an infinity for playing hockey with cat bowls sending them careening across kitchen floor.  Can't figure out if he's trying to bury something or seek attention.  Silly me, thought getting him fixed would settle him down. Cat Frustrated

Honored Social Butterfly

33* and hoping for snow, there I said it. Saw miles of glistening ice on roads. Sand trucks and plows had been sending sparks flying on pavement to hit bare asphalt.

First pot hole around the size of a small pond appeared in Norway, pop your tires from the rim anyone.

Need to play in the skating rink, formerly called driveway with ash and sand. Like the dull/shiny side up on vehicles.

@MsStretch 

Rubber on bottom of cat dish may help, or merely raised dishes.

Fixing cats doesn’t really help if crazed or young , non-adult, delayed kitten hood on ferals. 

Least that’s the way my Harvard rescue (3) Siamese behaved, they stopped climbing wall at 3-4 years.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Front Porchers!
When I left work last night and pulled out of the garage, I was met by icy streets, mounds of snow covered in ice, and as the sleet hit my windshield it immediately froze and formed a sheet of bumpy ice until my car heated up. Now, iIt's 38 degrees here. The expected high is 45*. Rain, rain,rain! And the weatherman is now threatening flooding if the rain doesn't let up. My sump pump has been running and thumping all night all. What a difference a day makes.

Anyway, thanks to catwoman500 and n566192l for informing me about the stamp increase coming this weekend. I honestly had not heard anything about it. So I will be stocking up because despite living in the email, text, and facebook era, I still enjoy penning an actual handwritten on "paper" letter delivered by snail mail.

Froze, I admire your fortitude in all that shoveling and wood hauling. I get my wood neatly packaged at my local Mobil gas station and my fireplace fires are fueled by them and several Duraflame logs. Stay warm and your socks dry.

And LaDolceVita, reading about the weather conditions in Australia only makes the reality of climate change all the more real. We need to do something about it before we can't do anything at all!

Be safe,  keep warm, and stay healthy Porch Peeps!

Trusted Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309 wrote:

And LaDolceVita, reading about the weather conditions in Australia only makes the reality of climate change all the more real. We need to do something about it before we can't do anything at all!

OK I will let my pessimist self out of the closet.  Individual people are smart.  Crowds not so much.  Not very many people among  the "crowd" will give up anything their ancestors and  they themselves had fought and worked hard for such as  their rights and  creature comforts.  Doing anything major about climate change would involve some pain for many, including the elites and would probably include some limits on population growth.  

As to weather, we have hit the mid 20s the last 2 nights, about 45ish during the day but it is sunny, so it does not feel too bad.   Looks like at least another week of winter headed our way.  Sometimes February ushers in spring, but General Beauregard will run back to his mansion when he goes outside next week! 

This was last year's venture.

https://www.macon.com/news/state/georgia/article198007809.html

Well, the sun has risen, the shadows have been seen and the scrolls have been read. Both Georgia’s General Beauregard Lee and Pennsylvania’s Punxatawney Phil have predicted six more weeks of winter for the U.S.A.

Drawn out by a plate of hash browns and the trumpet call of reveille, Beau exited his mansion in Butts County to a crowd of awestruck fans. After a few minutes, he made his prediction:

Old man winter had prevailed.

Beau’s forecast matched that of Punxutawney Phil, who also predicted six more weeks of winter at 7:22 a.m. in Pennsylvania.

@gm5271Welcome to the porch, there are 2 of us here from Georgia.  Only complain about the weather in the summer.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, Porch Peeps!

Glad to see some new "faces?"

We are a congenial group. I'm from suburban Philly as most already know, retired from teaching 35 years in Bucks County, PA.

As for Pennsylvania’s Punxatawney Phil and his predictions...he gets a bad rap since the dang

camera lights are so bright how could he NOT see his shadow?

Another cold one today (temp, not beer, although that sounds good)...better tomorrow, and then back to the frigidity later in the week.

Hang in there, especially Froze! Cat Tongue N.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309 

It’s not fortitude that left on holiday. Stove heats whole house and needs hardwood.

Today is hot 21* and it’s shoveling day, expected high of 25* with snow coming.

Time to shovel again, actually found driveway again.👍

And next is front door, then oil fill, buried but, doable.

Extended Chelli’s run by another 10 feet, if it ever hits 30*, will replace tractor belt on snowblower.

I think between vertigo and arthritis, I’ve finally aged and warmer climates are appealing to me.

Cut, split, stacked and delivered by neighbor. Tossed in garage when I need more. 2 Cords will heat the house mostly, improvement over the 8 cords my first year.

Insulation, more and more. Lopi Liberty heats 2500 ft. Sq. House.🤣👍, worth the effort.

@LaDolceVita 

I know climate change is real, snow around Day of Mourning/Columbus Day while leaves on trees.

Expect the only one who doesn’t believe in it, is T present occupier of the WH, expect worse to come. End of politicizing. Grumble, mumble, expletives.

Now need to shovel😁.

Froze

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP