Take 25 percent off the cost of the award-winning AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code ‘BHM’ for savings.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: MORNING ROLL CALL! JANUARY-FEBRUARY 2019

Message 31 of 199

Another trip to the homestead on a warmish 50 or so degree  day.  Neighbors came by and one of them told us he had a deer stand on our place and that he would remove it.  I was glad he volunteered the information as we had no way of knowing who it belonged to. 

Took 3 dogs as we had to drive the pick up.  The little dog, Daisy has gained about 10 lbs since the last trip, about 6 weeks ago.  At the rate she is going she will not survive long.  Very hard to put a dog on a diet, especially when there are other dogs in the house. The other dogs are not overweight.   Daisy has an eating disorder, has eaten like a piggy since she was a puppy.

I need advice on helping her lose weight!  We can no longer pick her up to put her in the truck and really have trouble getting her out.  I put food out for all the dogs about 1PM, then I try and pick it up after they have stopped eating.  I put food down again about 7PM.  I give them high protein treats like cottage cheese, cheese, bully sticks. 

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 199

@n566192l 

I’m alive from the land of 4* sunny and very windy Maine, preparing for snow Tuesday.

Windy means chasing screens that blew out last night.🤣

And also the formerly dry town, with more ABC type stores.

That change happened 5 and 10 years back.After people started dragging stuff back from tax free NH your choice 2 hour NH packies of 30 minute packies.

We took a vote and now even , Walmart’s have liquor. Or here local convenient for more selection 5 years ago, we ceased to be dry.

And on that cheery note need to stagger.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 199

Greetings All

Sunny and cold here in New Jersey. With the wind news says it's 16. Possible snow storm early next week, no real accumulation expected. Staying indoors today, I have to get the donations ready for tomorrows share.  Stay warm and safe.

Dave I hope all is well in Wisconsin.

Frozenoem, I hope you are on the mend.      Nancy

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 199

Hello, Our Front Porchers!

And Good morning All!    It's a very sunny 14 degrees here.  And we have absolutely NO SNOW!!!  Yippee!  Needless to say,  that makes me so very happy.  And on top of everything else, I am glad to report that we have only 39 days til Spring.  Sunshine, no snow, and Spring in the not too distant future makes for a blissful day.  So I'd like to share one of my favorite poems about mornings and my fav hot beverage.  Here we go:

Image result for animated  smiling while drinking coffee

Happy Saturday, Everybody!

See the source image

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 199

Talk about some crazy beer purchasing/sales laws!

Wait, why can’t you sell Spotted Cow beer in Minnesota?

New Glarus Brewing sign, near New Glarus Brewing, Wisconsin.

Bill Foussard is a big fan of Spotted Cow beer. Whenever he’s in Wisconsin, he stops to enjoy a draught.

But he won’t sell Spotted Cow at his restaurant in White Bear Lake, Rudy’s Red Eye Grill. He can’t. 

“Not available,” he tells you. “Only in Wisconsin.”

But we actually knew that already, didn’t we? Earlier this month, felony charges were filed against two men connected to the Maple Tavern in Maple Grove: bar owner Brandon Hlavka and manager David Lantos. Their alleged crime: In April 2015, the two men bought 10 kegs of Spotted Cow in Wisconsin, brought it across the border and sold it at the Maple Tavern without a license. 

All of which seems like a pretty egregious flouting of the rules that govern booze sales in Minnesota.

But felony charges? 

Don’t mess with Minnesota

Foussard, for one, says it was “stupid” for the barmen to try to side-step the state’s complicated liquor regulations.

“It’s a privilege to have a liquor license; there are a lot of rules, but you’ve got to follow them, go through the proper channels,” he said. “It might seem harsh — a felony charge — but you can’t mess around.”

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman agreed. “We’re not picking on these bar owners. They know the rules,” he said. “If a bar owner violates the rules they pay a price. We’re not seeking a prison sentence, of course, but there will be ramifications.”

Freeman notes that he doesn’t make the rules, he enforces them. And law on this one is clear: State statute 340A.701, subdivision 2, says it’s a felony to: “to transport or import alcoholic beverages into the state in violation of this chapter for purposes of resale.”

In Wisconsin we can buy beer, wine, whiskey and groceries all in one place.

More about Minnesota's crazy law!

https://www.minnpost.com/business/2016/02/wait-why-cant-you-sell-spotted-cow-beer-minnesota/

Spotted Cow tap
Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 199

@catwoman500 wrote:

Earlier I had run to the Fine Wines and Spirits store to pick up some wine. Those of you who don’t live in a “Commonwealth” are lucky to be able to get your wine, etc. in most grocery stores. We have come a long way in that some (and only some) of our grocery stores now have a special section where we can purchase wine and spirits, and some have and allow you to purchase a limit of 2 six packs of beer, but you have to pay for that separately before or after you do your grocery shopping. In VA I remember they had ABC stores for purchasing wine and spirits. It sure would be convenient to just be able to get everything in one spot. N.

In VA, you can currently buy beer AND wine in grocery stores and places like Walmart, Target, etc.  But anything harder, yes, you head to the ABC store.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 199

Greetings All,

Catwoman500,

I only know of a few stores in New Jersey, where you can purchase wine and spirits plus food. But, I have seen drive through liquor stores in my state. 

Over cast and 43 here.

Picked up The Big Sexy, yes that's his name. He is a presa canario, weighs 180 lbs . He is Big. So, I reached out to the State Troopes for help. Boy, life is so funny. I live on Barker Avenue . My house was built for the military stationed at Fort Monmouth back in the 40's.  Since, we are a such a small community, The State Police patrol Shrewsbury Township. The Troopers are so eager to help, watch the deployed military personnel 🐕. Plus, I can have the Troopers speak with the dog owner to get permission. Everything is going to be able to work out. The 🐕 well get the care they need, the Troopers signed up for the program. What a Win 👏 Win. Hope everyone enjoys their Day.  Nancy

Plus, The New Jersey State Troopers are spreaing the word to other Troopers in other States. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 199

@DaveMcK...Sorry to hear you may have to play the old ice vs power outages game. Keeping fingers crossed that your power holds!

Even though we lost our mild temps…right now it is a cloudy and chilly 47, but certainly bearable, the ice in my pool cover has melted enough so that I could pull up some more of the errant cover and secure it with rocks, bricks, and flower pots. Also I rescued the vinyl water bag that had been securing that edge. It had blown into the pool cover water, had been frozen in there, and actually shattered when I grabbed it out today. Then I thought as long as there had been melting and hadn’t refrozen yet I should turn on the pool cover pump and hopefully make a dent (albeit a small one) in the amount of water in the cover. Hoping to run it for a few hours today. So now I’m back inside and warming myself up with coffee of course… Green Mountain Sumatran Reserve.

Earlier I had run to the Fine Wines and Spirits store to pick up some wine. Those of you who don’t live in a “Commonwealth” are lucky to be able to get your wine, etc. in most grocery stores. We have come a long way in that some (and only some) of our grocery stores now have a special section where we can purchase wine and spirits, and some have and allow you to purchase a limit of 2 six packs of beer, but you have to pay for that separately before or after you do your grocery shopping. In VA I remember they had ABC stores for purchasing wine and spirits. It sure would be convenient to just be able to get everything in one spot. N.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 199

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch! It is a wild winers day here in Wisconsin. We have had a mixture of rain nd freezing rain. This afternoon we will be getting some snow. Hoping we don't get an accumulation of ice on the trees and wires which could result in powr outages. 

Hoping everyone has a great day!

FB_IMG_1540150613602.jpgFB_IMG_1549300705613.jpgFB_IMG_1490887995267.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 199

We will have 79 degrees today, a record high for this day. I opened all the windows and even a turtle neck is too warm.  Looks like we return to normal tomorrow.  @Frozenoem  yes do take a vacation and mend.  The cold and staggering are not ideal!  At least you had a soft landing. 

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views