Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL APRIL - JUNE 2021

MORNING ROLL CALL APRIL - JUNE 2021

Good morning everyone on this THURSDAY morning APRIL 1, 2021. 

71315842.jpeg

302328-Goodbye-March-Hello-April.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

Good afternoon everyone on this Wednesday May  5th, 2021. I took a walk this afternoon after lunch and took some pictures of the flowering trees and some budding flowers on our grounds. Hoping everyone has a restful night's sleep. 

Our apartment is shown in the upper righthand corner of the first two pictures!

20210505_135557.jpg

20210505_135517.jpg

20210505_135306.jpg

20210505_132914_002.jpg

20210505_132337.jpg

20210505_132620.jpg

20210505_142845.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Have laid in my initial supply of Repel Tick Defense.  Couldn't find it at local Walmart, so ordered a dozen cans on Walmart.com.  (Love that picaridin and Repel is cheaper than Sawyer.)  Already pulled a couple of the little suckers off back in March, so every subsequent hike was/is prefaced with a liberal spray-down. 

And speaking of more bugs, back to using water plates for the kitty bowls so the kids have a chance before the ants breech the sides and carry off the shreds and meaty bits.

Trusted Social Butterfly

HOLA!HOLA!

Hello, All,

Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

We are having pouring rain right now and expect it for the rest of the day. Open windows; close windows...the story of this week so far. Back to the 60's we go today and will remain in the 60's for a while.

Wish I had thought ahead and bought some ingredients for tacos or at least a Margarita.

Oh, well...at least no bugs can bug me today inside or out. 😸

Enjoy your day today with or without a Margarita!

AdiosAdios

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning everyone on this first Sunday morning of May, 2021. 

I have my mug of coffee in hand and am watching CBS Sunday Morning News. Hoping everyone is having an enjoyable last day of the weekend.

We are looking at a high of 80* and rain moving in later this afternoon and lasting until tomorrow evening. 

May the next week bring us all better days and restful nights.

FB_IMG_1619360192013.jpg

stock-photo-food-bun-breakfast-coffee-roll-pastries-cakes-croissant-good-morning-2ba88fb1-7a49-494c-a319-c2b93ce0fd79.jpg

FB_IMG_1618058129579.jpg

c1b13d633de2efb292e6881da93c4fd5.jpg

20200506_153703.jpg

Spring flowers are here in full bloom!

Esteemed Social Butterfly

Good morning Tuesday 48* left house for ETA Aquarids this pre Dawn. Cameras, Cell, film and digital, tripods, etc.

Pointed my toes to Eastern sky and fell asleep on a picnic table.

Sprinkles woke me up just now, guess that means no photography when tired.

Guess I’ll try again Wednesday and Thursday. Link may appear🤣

ETA Aquarids 

Small town life no one woke me up, and gear intact. Next time I’ll bring happiness caffeine.

@catwoman500 

The siding piece was found by neighbor in his manure pit, soft landing 5 miles away.

Returned 5 minutes ago, pre-washed👍🤣

A14D43B1-A885-41C7-A7DD-9C240505AAA7.jpeg

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi Porch Peeps!

May the Fourth be with you.jpg

Happy Star Wars Day!

Trusted Social Butterfly

@RosemaryF433825 ...Nope, the Spotted Lantern Fly is not even close to those sweet little lightning bugs/fireflies that we used to catch in the summer evenings. This is an invasive bug that has been catastrophic to the environment and economy in many parts of PA, and the threat exists for a more profound impact on industries and ecosystems into the future.

The bad bugs hatch at the end of April or early May...prime time to keep an eye out for and destroy them at all costs. The more eggs destroyed now and the more lantern flies trapped and killed, the fewer there will be later in the summer.

UGH!UGH!

Bronze Conversationalist

@catwoman    I looked up some information on them, and they sound nasty all the way around!   Not only do they destroy plants, but they leave this sugary substance behind that encourages the growth of black, sooty mold.  Ewww!  NOT GOOD!    I've been fearful of the ash borer invading around here, as I have lots of ash trees my late husband planted.  In the nearest city, they are already cutting them down and planting non-ash trees.  Nature is interesting and lovely, until it turns on humans and causes damage to things we enjoy!

All this talk of bugs, ash borers have hit 3 towns in southern Maine.

Have been checking my trees for damage with small bag for their little carcasses.

Need colder temps to keep the buggers at bay. Not enough -40* temps this year or snow for that matter.

But, thanks for the reminder, need to mist clothes for tick prevention.And stock up on essentials Deep Woods Off for skin, just for skeeters and black flies.

If they land on shirts, socks, pants it’s bye bye time.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem ...Ooops! Sorry you missed the meteors! 😿

Glad your siding piece was returned...what a flight that had!

Bronze Conversationalist

@DaveMcK   Good Sunday Morn to you too Dave...et.al.!

I have my mug in hand and am just about ready for a second cup after watching "Sunday Morning,"  my fav Sunday morning show.  👍

Hopefully it won't be as windy today as it was yesterday.  I tried going outside, but the wind was doing a number on anything that wasn't tied down (including me.)  And the way it was blowing the gravel dust around, visibility was awful.  So I had to go back inside.  ☹️

Rain is in the forecast for tomorrow...and I hope it will be sincere this time.  We need water so badly here in the countryside and the woods.  And my poor flowers have a bad case of the "droops."  I'm not so hot at rain dancing, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Hope everyone is enjoying this very first Sunday of May 2021!  Stay well... be joyful!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Meerkat.jpg

Hi there, Peeps!

It's a cloudy mild afternoon here in the Philly burbs. Looking at some rain or thunderstorm action later. Only in the high 60's today, but back to the 80's tomorrow before another cool down. Always a roller coaster ride.

Lots of insects around lately...lots more than usual. I'm sure there is a meteorological reason for it, but I'm no Al Roker. Twice as I opened the car door, a giant bee flew in. Then as I was shooing that one out, a smaller one flew into the opening around the driver's side rearview mirror. Also, it's mating season for carpenter bees and they have been buzzing around the breezeway roof. A couple of hateful flies have somehow come inside with me, and the other day there was a wasp in the living room! I'm happily awaiting the hatching of the praying mantis cocoons that are once again in my barberry bush.

Hope nothing is "bugging" you! 😹

Have you seen the new stamps? I should have bought more than one book:

Right up my alley!Right up my alley!

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@catwoman500   Ohhh!  I dearly LOVE meerkats!!   They are such a sweet group!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500, speaking of bugs, have you seen any cicadas yet?  I love the cicadas!  They fascinate me.  Looks like MD is the epicenter with PA, DC, VA, and DE seeing them too.  Alas, it looks like I may be a tad too far south to see that many, if any. 

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@MsStretch    Here you are!  Just for uuuuu!Just hanging around.....Just hanging around.....

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch ...I knew there was something else bug related I was going to mention! No...no cicadas or spotted lantern flies yet. Cicadas creep me out. During my early days of teaching, one of my little first graders (bound to be a scientist, I'm sure) collected cicada shells...enough for everyone in the class, and she showed us how we could wear them just by sticking them on to our clothes. UGH! Of course, not to stifle her enthusiasm, I stuck this ugly thing on my sweater and wore it the whole day. Teachers' lunch room was grossed out. HA! 😂

Bronze Conversationalist

@catwoman500   Are you meaning fireflies when you say spotted lantern flies? Or as we call them in the Midwest..."lightening bugs?"

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

Enjoying perfect weather here in NW Ga, 70 for a high, night temps cool  and low humidity.  No bug bites yet, although I am sure they are planning their assault on those opting for short sleeves.   All critters well and I guess no news is good news in my case.  Nothing going on at the homestead either, which is not all that great since they should have done some dirt work 2 weeks ago.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 , looking at the same stuff here south of you.  Wind. Wind. Wind. 🌬  Downright scary sitting among all these big oaks with all the branches and twigs hitting the roof. BAM!

Went from sweaty yesterday to chilly today. 🥵 > 🥶  Yup, must be spring!

Hunker down and stay safe.

Bronze Conversationalist

@MsStretch @catwoman500 

Gosh ladies!   Please be careful and stay safe where you are!!!  Your weather descriptions don't sound good at all!  It was very sunny here today.  I should have been out working in my flowerbeds again, because I still have some that need last years' stuff removed.  But I felt too lazy, (kitty) Mr. Myles and I.  So we basked in our loving companionship inside instead.

Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 80's!  (And people steadfastly claim there's no such thing as climate change???)  Those temps are unheard of for this time of year here.  Ah well, I will have no excuses at all not to be working outside.

Be safe, sleep well.  Rejoice in another day yet to come.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good afternoon everyone on this Thursday APRIL 21, 2021. We have been in a cold spell with little moisture for several days.

We did have a few snow showers today with no accumulation. 

Vaccines are more available here in our large countries and some smaller ones coming close to 50% of the population having had 2 shots.

A lot the perennial flowers are starting to bloom and many flowering trees have bloomed.

Hoping everyone has a  restful evening.

20200506_153817.jpg

20200527_170724.jpg

DixIEitXUAEEWso.jpg

0 Kudos

Earth Day Thursday, 19* but, promise for warm temp’s later this week again.

Woke up to the sounds of snow falling from my roof, and immediately rolled over again.👍

Time to start a fire, and prepare to go up country for a bit.Need to help a friend with his trac’s.

Froze

Bronze Conversationalist

@Frozenoem   A trip to Maine is definitely on my bucket list/ business list.  But I don't know after reading about your weather up there, Froze!  Hmmm....

0 Kudos

Ro,

Relax it will be 70’s and back to sunny, within the week.

Admit it’s different weather  patterns between ocean and mountains of Maine and NH.

I tried the ocean down east and didn’t like it (weather wise) too much damp.

Mountains dry heat when it arrives is beautiful.Unfortunately since Pandemic, others have discovered Paradise.

Judging by homes bought by people from away, we’ve become a safe haven of healthy people.🤣 Safer than cities and people packed like sardines.

Froze

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

earth day.png

Happy Earth Day, everyone!

@MsStretch …Nope…I agree with @RosemaryF433825 …not an option for me to have an unmasked worker come in the house. Even my stepson wore one when he came to do dome measuring for me. My plumber/heater guy wears one, too. Even the Amazon delivery people wear one and they are only leaving a package outside the door!

@Frozenoem … BRRRR. We were at what I thought was cold at 36, wind chill at 26 this AM, but you beat us! Somehow we missed the thunderstorms yesterday and there wasn’t enough rain to wash the pollen off my car…but enough to make the car look like a real mess.

I seem to be getting into a few legal questions this week…was looking out all my windows to see if the wind brought down any limbs, and saw this neighbor across the street with this really high tech looking crossbow. He was shooting at a target (I think), but the look of that thing was intimidating. Called the Borough hall to ask if it was legal to use one of those in a neighborhood backyard, but the woman had no clue and told me to call the police non-emergency number. Not wanting to do that, I found an email address for the police dept. and said I was curious as to whether it was legal or not. I’ll let you know if I ever get an answer.

My hands are so cold. I need some Joe!

time for coffee.jpg

@catwoman500 

Up here it’s no target practice within 300’ feet of another house or property. 

Includes crossbow , exception only is BB’s or pellets.Air or CO2 powered projectiles, no clue why?

Olden days would hurt but, you could put an eye out, Ralphie. * nod to Gene Shepherd and Red Ryder. Now, can do worse with newer pellet guns,55-gallon steel barrels anyone.

Think I’ll stick with sand pits with 15 foot berm, just in case of accidents. And I have training from a PD.

Back to the trax.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Morning, Peeps!

@Frozenoem ...Yeah, I was thinking about good ole Ralphie. 😸

Anything could happen...like a bee buzzing around the guys head just as he releases and the arrow could go right into his neighbor's yard...or neighbor! 😮

Just glad he was pointing it the other way and not in my direction. LOL

Haven't gotten a reply to my email, and don't expect much...our PD doesn't have the sharpest tools in the shed. 🙄

I'm so excited about going out for lunch today. Haven't been in a restaurant since November. After that, close to the holidays, the governor closed all eating places until after the New Year. Then we hardly ever go out to eat in the winter for fear of having to cancel due to nasty weather, so this is great. A bit chilly, but the sun is out!

Rain headed our way for the weekend, but then warmer temps next week...wahoo!

Ahhhhhhh...Ahhhhhhh...

@catwoman500 

Brisk Friday am and noon, wind chills with 35 mph breezes. Hopefully last bunch of squalls passed last night and this morning.

At least temp’s will be back in the upper 60’s to 70 next week. Now, if we just pass the hurdle of 40* overnight temps.🤣

The last restaurant I visited was Feb. 2020, don’t think DD or Corner Store counts.

Nor does the Head Chef from NH hotel or his camp🤣.

Time to play with firewood, again, when power is expected to go out it’s required.one more night of partly cloudy ?? rain/snow with 20* temps.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Morning, All,

We started out with sun today. Looks like the rain is holding off until tonight. It's in the 50's right now.

I felt so free yesterday when we went out to lunch. Just the half hour drive in the sunshine and then seeing a friend that I haven't seen in over a year. It was exhilarating. I'm glad we ate inside. The place across the street from this restaurant had outdoor dining and the patrons' hair was literally blowing straight up in the air. LOL It's a wonder the food didn't blow off the plates.

Our food was great. I had a crab cake that came with home made potato chips. They brought enough to feed 4 people. I had to eat a couple just to try them...delicious! I should have brought the rest of  them home, but it would have been a temptation I don't need. If I could have mailed them to you, @Frozenoem ...they would have been put to good use! 😸

I smiled all the way home. The only bad thing was that the coffee was like colored water. I had to have a real cup when I got home.

Enjoy your weekends!

Seems about right!Seems about right!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Virtual Community Center 

Offering a wide variety of FREE interactive, online events and classes designed for learning, self-improvement, and fun. Learn More

Members Can Play More

Membership unlocks free online games and puzzles including classic Atari Games. Join today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health