Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL 2023.

MORNING ROLL CALL 2023
CLOSED USE THE 2024 ADDITION!
Good morning to everyone on this 6th morning of December 2023.

Happy Birthday to all of our December Birthday members.
I turned 80 on December 1st

FB_IMG_1633301117620.jpg

Winners are not people who never fail, but people who never quit and above all who learn from their mistakes. Be a winner this December.”

1000009736.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

CLOSED!! USE THE 2024 ADDITION!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Laughing @LaDolceVita and Cades Cove.  Nothing like that old-time homey smell, huh? 😁 

Well, hello there, Mr. No-Name.  Aren't you a handsome lad! 😽

Wishing everyone a safe and Happy New Year. 🥳 I'm still debating on whether I am going to do a First Day Hike or just 'couch-potato' out all day.  🛋💤

Trusted Social Butterfly

Happy New Year Porch Peeps! Especially, @DaveMcK@MsStretch@LaDolceVita@SpringIsHereSoHappy@Frozenoem 

This year, my "game night girls" decided to stay home on New Year's Eve and have a bagels and coffee time today. LOVED that idea! We all hate driving at night even though it's not that far, but there are some crazies out there. So today in the daylight we'll go to one of the girl's homes and have our gathering.

New Year cat.jpg

Silver Conversationalist

Hi @catwoman500 That was cute....& a Happy Meow New Year to you... & to @DaveMcK (Happy belated birthday!!) 🎂😊

Happy Meow Year!!Happy Meow Year!!

& TO THE WHOLE GANG OF ALL FRONT PORCHERS! (& of course... everyone else...LOL!)

Take care! 🎈🎆☃️🎉☮️~Allen 🌈 🎇  🎊 🎈

Honored Social Butterfly

NOTICE!!!!

I am having cellphone issues and will not be able to reply to comments here easily. It will be January 2nd before I can get into my cellphone provider to get it fixed.

Thank You!

1000009880.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Happy new year, consider meaning the living, just incapable of seeing broke my glasses, for seeing close-up, and my voice is gone.

hope to be alive and capable of speech by Sunday.

have a good day.

sign, froze,

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Silver Conversationalist

Hi FROZE! @Frozenoem

Saw your post:

“hope to be alive and capable of speech by Sunday”

Well...1st things 1st...If you see this message....ALIVE....then CHECK!

Able to speak again? Really hope so...we’ll add a temp CHECK!!

Got glasses fixed, or at least find one that does work for now (some of the cheap ones from the ‘dollar stores’ with the highest ‘zoom’ possible, are pretty good!) so...we’ll add another temp CHECK!!

Of course the 1st one’s mandatory...LOL!!

Really hope your day is better now!!

Anyway...stay safe & warm ...

& Happy New Year!

Take care! 🎈🎆☃️🎉☮️~Allen 🌈🎇  🎊🎈

Honored Social Butterfly

Heart is working, 11 year battery wish my cell. Had that kind of power.

For lack of typos, need speech enabled, phone doesn’t like my new hoarse voice.It still gives typos, it hates when I use dos, unix or Linus on the same day, instructions to others.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Silver Conversationalist

Hi FROZE! @Frozenoem

Glad you’re doing well!

& appreciate your sense of humor!

Anyway...stay safe & warm ...

Take care! 🏒 ☃️ ☮️ ~Allen 🌈 🎿 ❄️ 🏂

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Hi @DaveMcK Happy belated birthday!!

Hope you get your phone back up & running right ASAP!

I can relate! My laptop has been slowing down & even freezing the past few days...simple tasks taking hours! So I did a system restore...but it took almost a whole day. Only after that....realizing Win Update was trying to d/l & install....even tho I had it “PAUSED” until next week....so the system is fighting itself...LOL! But then all my Word docs & other things are missing recent stuff I wrote in them...& some progs have to be updated again too! So now I have to do another sys restore back to today....& THEN do the fing Update...which will prob take another entire day to straighten out!

Also...some people who expected answers & replies back were upset...thinking I was ignoring them & not realizing that one should not assume it’s on purpose...until they know for SURE what happened...we just have to be patient these days...even in this rapidly changing information age! LOL! Anyway...Happy New Year!!...&

Take care! 🎈🎆☃️🎉☮️~Allen 🌈🎇  🎊🎈

Honored Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u 

You might not be totally up creek on deleted files what version of Windows do you have?

Do you know how to burn a CD/DVD or memory stick?

Do you know a local tech ?

Google search free programs for recovery programs and how to burn a cd/dvd or memory stick.hooboy you think window update.You think window restart is long, your in for a wait.

Search term for your tech or kid is Windows 10 or Windows 11 file recovery software.Recuva or recover was one of them as was Hirens and FalconFour.

With luck it will examine every bit of data on your hard, after you change boot order to cd/dvd/ or usb.

Find a tech, dweeb or knowledgeable person. Or ask someone in computers group, who hasn’t been up for many hours. I’m generally in geek speak mode.

Froze

I haven’t used free since Windows95

Silver Conversationalist

Hi FROZE! @Frozenoem

I know you like to help peeps with computer probs...& I have some imp photos that I need to retrieve from that 1-2 week period of data loss! You have asked many important questions that I’d be glad to answer but prob best in a PM rather than on this thread...let me know if you’re interested to PM. Thanks ~Allen

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

We will be going to a New Years Eve evening brunch here at our retirement center with friends. 

Than going back to our apartment to see what is on TV and heading to bed at 10 pm. 

Happy New Years Eve to everyone and hoping you have a very special 2024. New beginnings are just around the corner. Happy New Year!

1000009880.jpg

Recognized Social Butterfly

1 comment (Saturday 12/30/23) 

The same to you and Mary, Dave @DaveMcK !!!

I am assuming you will be setting up a MORNING ROLL CALL 2024 for us?  🤔

Thank you SO MUCH for setting up this forum (Our Front Porch).

I really ENJOY "chatting" with you, @LaDolceVita , FROZE @Frozenoem @catwoman500 and MS. STRETCH @MsStretch .

@SpringIsHereSoHappy   Gotta love those feet!!  Hope all you Porchers are OK and just busy being happy.  All is well here, just a bit cold, even during the day.  Will be baking gigantic odd looking sweet potatoes for dinner, grown here this summer.  House needs all the heat it can get.  We tried the fireplace last cold spell, house smelled like the ones at Cades Cove.  @MsStretch  You will know what I mean!  Happy New Year @Frozenoem @catwoman500 @DaveMcK  as well as all the Porchers.

Honored Social Butterfly

Here is Santa relaxing on his week off after Christmas! 

1000009861.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all my family & friends. My friends list has been reduced and will be again soon, so if you are still here, sorry, you’re stuck with me 😁👍🏻🤣

1000009839.jpg

@DaveMcK   What a lovely old fashioned Santa picture!  Merry Christmas to everyone here and to your families, including the furry ones.

1 comment (Friday 12/22/23)

Ms. Stretch , I am "learning" NOT to get "attached" to Mr. No Name (stray cat 🐈). Lol, he has been extremely "moody" [ignoring me, versus demanding "belly rubs"] of late, still refusing to be "adopted" by the neighborhood = I feel HIS TIME has arrived. They sometimes go off to die somewhere as you already know as a Fellow Feral Mom... 💙🐈 I do not do well when this happens.

Hello Porch folks!  All is quiet here, pretty cold for 3 days.   @catwoman500  you are the busiest of women, I do not know how you survived the lockdowns 😁.  @Frozenoem  I hope your weather improves, it sounds impossible to get around.

I am not up to much,  seems that I never get ahead of the chores and organize things.  I am still not completely settled here.   I dont spend much time online anymore, spend lot of time walking the dogs mornings and evenings.  It seems to get old sometimes but I do love it here and most of the time I am happy being outside. Seems I am pretty tired by 8PM.   Will be having a quiet Christmas with friends.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK 

Another Sagittarius on the 8th I hit 72, and that all I remember for certain.Rainand 60* mph winds, most snow is gone, replaced by grass of various colors.

Somethings definitely wrong here., minimal snow, rain washed out even my lower bridges and culverts over Swift River, I’m here for at least 2 more days until the roads are repaired or neighbor with LST’s lays down some mats for his tanks, might span the partt t s that used to be road or bridge.

Now, if ai can also keep the landline and cellphone antenna, I’ll really be happy. Had to crawl out on garage roo To call Dr and hospitals to say hey no road ai’m not coming to day.

Hope all are doing OK

Droze

Honored Social Butterfly

We will be having a Christmas get together at our youngest Daughter's place on December 23rd. We will also be decorating Chrismas cookies there. The older Daughter's will be celebrating Christmas at their spouses families on Christmas day. 

Mary and I will be going to the Christmas day brunch here at our retirement center. 

Honored Social Butterfly

The kids’ winter encampment suffered an incoming branch bombardment. Not sure when, but just noticed it, although it’s been awhile since Willie Mae used her toasty bed. 🤷‍♀️ Guessing it came down when she was in there and scared her, although no damage to assorted beds. For now I’m leaving it until I figure out best way to fix and it’s plugging the hole.

IMG_2391.jpeg

Willie Mae may have been in the bed on table, although she moves around.

IMG_2392.jpeg

IMG_2393.jpeg

Guess what tree it came from? 😁

And as I was standing there assessing damage, another branch fell and almost hit me!

IMG_2394.jpeg

Outta here! 👷

We got a lot of rain yesterday evening; today sunny and windy.

@catwoman500 , good luck to your birds tonight. Dallas got butt kicked by Buffalo yesterday. And the Commanders? Rest of season is a moot point for them. I barely paid attention to the game. 😕

Coming at you from iPhone. Need to get back to a keyboard. ⌨️

Silver Conversationalist

Hi Ms. Stretch! @MsStretch This is the 1st chance I’ve had to actually look at your pics ....as I’ve been having mucho ‘putr probs! LOL!

Anyway...Have you had a chance to fix all the damage...or at least patch things up for now??!

We actually had tornadoes nearby right before Christmas....the same system that killed a family with a child in both Tenn & Kentucky.....we were less than a mile from one of the ones with fatalities!... so as always...ya never know....always have to be prepared...& I’m always thankful & grateful for another day alive & safe!

Anyway...Happy New Year!

Take care! 🎈 🎆 ☃️ 🎉 ☮️ ~Allen 🌈🎇  🎊 🎈

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch   YIKES! Be careful out there!

About the BIRDS... yeah, we have made the cut, but it would be nice to see us win again tonight. Two battling birds. Hope we can fly home with the win. 🦅

Trusted Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK ...Belated Happy Birthday! 🎂

1 comment (Monday 12/18/23) 

☃️🎅   It's me again  🙄 

Anyone want to share their Holiday Plans with us?

I bet Mary and Dave @DaveMcK will be with family.

Ms. Stretch @MsStretch , lol - have any gifts for the Queen 🐈  and Prince  🐈   "furbabies" with their pampered selves?

Hmmm, Froze @Frozenoem , @catwoman500 and @LaDolceVita ?  🤔🤔🤔

Me, NOT big on holidays and will spend a "quiet" one at home.  😎

Trusted Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy ...

Hey, all Peeps including but not limited to:  @DaveMcK , @MsStretch , @LaDolceVita@Frozenoem,

Busy month normally, but with Physical Therapy added twice a week, it’s been hard to juggle all of the holiday stuff. Last week my book club girls went out for lunch and a gift exchange. Today I had a test and then had to pick up one more gift. Tomorrow is lunch and gift exchange with another group. Wednesday is breakfast and gift exchange with my breakfast group, plus PT in the afternoon. Thursday will be last minute Xmas food shopping, and Friday more PT. Hopefully a relaxing Christmas Eve “Eve” and Christmas Eve, then a big Christmas dinner and gifts with my friends and their family. Only fly in the ointment is that they live an hour away and I hate driving home in the dark, but the weather is supposed to be ok...not like last night's rain that apparently hit everyone from Florida to Maine...did you get hit, @Frozenoem ?

Holy cow, we got inches and inches of rain. Luckily, I kept hearing my sump pump.

Read this morning that there were 5 local water rescues overnight and still some roads are closed around here as well as some schools!

Hope you all are safe and can enjoy your holidays with family and friends.

Merry Christmas if I don't get back on here before then! 🎅

gingie man.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Happy belated birthday and friendship day, @DaveMcK . 🎂

@LaDolceVita and @catwoman500 , never too late to get back in the swing of exercise.  Although yep, we all lose some of that agility and energy and capability that used to make things so much easier than they are now, for sure!  @catwoman500 , I could use a little (more) work on my balance and knees, too.  (Geez, when did my knees go to pot? 🫤 It used to so easy to squat.)

@SpringIsHereSoHappy , Queen Willie Mae and Prince Giorgio are doing fine, the spoiled brats that they are.  Willie Mae will start two-stepping and butt-wiggling at night which means she's ready to go for a walkabout.  So out with coat, gloves, bluetooth speaker beanie with LED light (gotta have tunes for a runaround) and of course, the Willie Mae stick, and off we go.  And she will park herself next to the garage or a shed and watch ME run around! 🙄 Giorgio is out for the treats which he knows will inevitably follow after a walkabout.

Treated myself to a new camera during the online Black Friday sales.  (Yeah, I just check out the online deals to see any good stuff I can score. 😁)  Wanted a compact one for hiking adventures (my old Sony is getting up there in years) with a VIEWFINDER!  Do not like using my phone as dedicated camera although I will in a pinch.  Found a mirrorless Canon, smaller than a DSLR, but bigger than a point-&-shoot like my Sony so using my pocket is definitely out.  Next week, I will put it to its first "road test" (more like offtrail test), but found an old camera bag I have I can sling, so we shall see how that holds up while bushwhacking.  Wearing camera around neck is NOT an option.

But right after I put out the bucks on that toy, my iPhone started going wonky.  Wouldn't hold a charge for long.  Laggy.  It is an 8 and it's been taken off the future update list, but I was hoping to coax a little more life out of it.  Nope.  Time had come.  It's an Apple -- no door-busting deals there, more like breaking the bank.  15 was out. 🤑  (I use Straight Talk, BYOP, so no paying off a "free" phone over the life of a contract.)  Finally settled on a renewed 14.  Was not looking forward to transferring data and setting up a new phone. 😑 BUT... surprise! surprise! all I had to do was put the phones side-by-side and all my info and stuff transferred from old to new just like I had it.  Than time to port number and the process was same.  And that's when it went south. 😖 My old phone uses a SIM card, the newer iPhones use eSIM and the transfer failed saying unable to complete through old phone.  That's when a day long (hours!) process of online, chat, (after calling before they disconnected my old phone to transfer # which didn't work and I had no service!) with Straight Talk and running next door to use my neighbor's landline to get it fixed.  I lost track of how many times I was disconnected (both chat and phone) and had to call back and go through that interminable bot menu again and again and all the security questions since I wasn't calling from the # associated with my account.  Finally at about 9PM, they got eSIM set up on my new phone and completed the transfer!  The relief!  And of course, when my service was restored, here came a plethora of texts from Straight Talk with security code, which I kept telling them were useless, because I HAD NO SERVICE when they were trying to verify my account!  All's well that ends well, right? 

Lordy, I think I've rambled on enough.  Time to go play with new phone some more and learn the new gestures and swipes. 😁

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP