Your pain isn't like anyone else's, and science is homing in on better treatments. Read about the newest ways to break pain's grip.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Lonesome parrt of Day

Message 1 of 26
That last message was for Nancy! PL
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 26

March 2016?  Are you thinking spring?  I wish March  would help me but that is my mom's birthday and first year without her!  Woman Sad  Mom died May Memorial day 2015 so still rough for me, sorry!  I will try to help though!  What are good memories for you?  How bout music and flowers and a picture and what about a walk in the park to see the leaves this time of year to see the color of the leaves if there are any left on the trees or at least on the ground?  What about a good movie or your favorite?  It is hard since I do not know you well.  My name is Pat, what is yours?  How is that?  That is a start.  I do know how you feel though, I am going through the sadness too.  Or am I taking your message wrong?  Please reply back! Yes those baked goods sound yummy can I have some?  Hmmmmmm,  I smell them all the way over here, but one bite I gain 50 Lbs.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 26

I have not been around long either but when I saw everyone elses post it really got me and I opened up just like that!  I haven't been in this site for awhile but today I am back to check out a few things.  So welcome and hopefully we can find some good help here!  Woman Happy

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 26

I have not been here for a while due to personal difficulties and I really enjoyed reading these posts.  We all get in a pensive mood and most of the time we do not share those feelings. 

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 26

Oh, crrrrrud! Should not have been having my wine while reading the posts on this topic. Need to get a tissue or two. So many memories popped into my little brain reading these posts. Thank you all for sharing. Good to know that I'm not alone in "not" enjoying this time of the year. WHOA!  Get me to around March 2016, please! Nancy

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 26

@PattyDiane wrote:

I guess it's good to know that we all seem to have times like this.  For me it's intensified this time of the year when I notice every day that it gets dark earlier than it did the day before.  I'm dreading when the time changes on Sunday because that's really a shock to my system.  It's intensified this year because it also marks the 5th anniversary of coming home from the hospital and rehab.  I know that should be a happy time but I find I'm having flashbacks of how frightened I was because I felt so weak and unsure about how I would manage alone.

I always seem to feel nostalgic about this time of the year, remembering the days of seeing children in their costumes and giving out candy while trying to keep the dogs from running out the door.  I miss the kids, the dogs and the neighborhood.  Then there was the annual fall trip to the mountains to see the leaves.  From my house in Marietta we could be there in an hour so even if we couldn't get away for a weekend it was something to look forward to.

I miss having the holidays with the family and seeing how much the children had grown after not seeing them for a few months.

I know I'll begin to feel better after the first of the year when I'll begin to notice that the days are getting longer again and until then I'll just have to do the best that I can.

PattyDiane,  Thanks for all that you shared with us.  You have a lot of feelings to deal with at this time of year, it seems, & this year you are also dealing with 5 year anniversary.  Guess some days will be a struggle to get through;  hope you will also experience some happier days.

Imagine a number of us are looking for diversions that will help us get through holiday season.  I hope you will do some baking for yourself, as you have mentioned in past that you enjoy baked goods such as bread, biscuits, etc.  Any time you mention food, you make it sound so tasty, that I immediately want a bite or two of whatever you have mentioned!  Smiley Very Happy  Pam    

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 26

@doglover52 wrote:

Margaret,rest assure anytime you start a new post,your friends here at Front Porch have probably gone thru similar experiences,you'll always have our support. I've been reading what everybody else has written,wanted to give my thoughts.

I think most of you know,I'm the only member of my family who decided to stay here in my hometown,Buffalo,NY.I'm close with my baby brother,John we talk every Sun,see him&family 1-2 times/yr. My older sister,Mary lives in England,we've never been close,lately her emails have been coming more frequently. I've made some friends over the yrs who I'm very close with they have become my '2nd family'most importantly they are Marcia&hubby Dave,their sons,DaveJr{don't see much of him}Alexei my 'movie buddy'. My 2 next door neighbors,Pat age 80,Gerry age 77,we take care of each other.

As much as I enjoy autumn,I don't like the days getting shorter,when we have to switch the clocks back{happens this weekend}.I find it little depressing when its dark outside& I have to wear my reflector vest on my early morning walks. The only time of the year when I feel really down is at Christmas,its my least favorite holiday.. I say this because my parents birthdays were 5 days apart in Dec,some yrs I get sad missing them other yrs I try not to think about it.

I do thank God for my blessings and my siblings.My '2nd family',without them I can't imagine what my life would be like.

I also want to welcome pl49586880 to the group,what is your first name? I look forward to your future posts too. Sue

Sue,  I read your post with interest. Thanks for sharing.

I usually deal with my parents being gone, at holiday season, by not thinking about them at all.  Too bad I cannot at least bring out old memories & cherish them, but I guess it is just too painful... Smiley Sad

I do appreciate & value my husband's company all the more each year, as you have come to value your special friends.  Folks we are closely tied to - they are to be treasured!  Heart

btw, I rarely visit a mall these days, but DH works at nearby mall.  He tells me Christmas decor is already up in the major department stores -  way too early, imho.  But there is this great development:  last year his mall opened late in afternoon on Thanksgiving Day & remained open all night.  This year the mall has made decision not to be open on Thanksgiving Day!  Smiley Very Happy  Pam

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 26

@margaret23509 wrote:

You are right, the holidays are just around the corner. I hope I can hold it together. This will be the first Christmas that my younger son and his family are going to be away for the Christmas holidays. Thanksgiving, well, I don't know what's going to happen then. There have been some hard feelings between my two sons so I don't know what to expect. I try to count my blessings each day. There are many, blessings that is. In fact, I just went to my oncologist today and he was pleased with my blood work. As I was telling Pam, I feel better today then I have in a very long time.  Oh and before I forget it, I too would like to welcome our new comer. And thank you all for your thoughts. 

I enjoyed your post & all that you shared with us, Margaret.

The holidays can present dilemmas, can't they?  Maybe you can begin thinking creatively right now, about how you might find enjoyment this Christmas, despite the temporary absence of your younger son & his family.

Wish your sons could work past their hard feelings.  Somewhere down the line they will likely learn that most issues are not worth major disruption of family harmony.

Hope you are enjoying this current period, where you are feeling so much better - feeling better always lifts my spirits greatly!

Glad you had good visit with your oncologist.  As we get older, I think most of us breathe a big sigh of relief if we have a decent doctor's visit.

DH & I will have a low-key holiday season, I feel sure, but that is the way we prefer it.  Just not sure how very "low-key" it might turn out to be!  It has been years since we have had family to gather with, so are very used to that by now.   Pam

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 26

You are right, the holidays are just around the corner. I hope I can hold it together. This will be the first Christmas that my younger son and his family are going to be away for the Christmas holidays. Thanksgiving, well, I don't know what's going to happen then. There have been some hard feelings between my two sons so I don't know what to expect. I try to count my blessings each day. There are many, blessings that is. In fact, I just went to my oncologist today and he was pleased with my blood work. As I was telling Pam, I feel better today then I have in a very long time.  Oh and before I forget it, I too would like to welcome our new comer. And thank you all for your thoughts. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 26

Margaret,rest assure anytime you start a new post,your friends here at Front Porch have probably gone thru similar experiences,you'll always have our support. I've been reading what everybody else has written,wanted to give my thoughts.

I think most of you know,I'm the only member of my family who decided to stay here in my hometown,Buffalo,NY.I'm close with my baby brother,John we talk every Sun,see him&family 1-2 times/yr. My older sister,Mary lives in England,we've never been close,lately her emails have been coming more frequently. I've made some friends over the yrs who I'm very close with they have become my '2nd family'most importantly they are Marcia&hubby Dave,their sons,DaveJr{don't see much of him}Alexei my 'movie buddy'. My 2 next door neighbors,Pat age 80,Gerry age 77,we take care of each other.

As much as I enjoy autumn,I don't like the days getting shorter,when we have to switch the clocks back{happens this weekend}.I find it little depressing when its dark outside& I have to wear my reflector vest on my early morning walks. The only time of the year when I feel really down is at Christmas,its my least favorite holiday.. I say this because my parents birthdays were 5 days apart in Dec,some yrs I get sad missing them other yrs I try not to think about it.

I do thank God for my blessings and my siblings.My '2nd family',without them I can't imagine what my life would be like.

I also want to welcome pl49586880 to the group,what is your first name? I look forward to your future posts too. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views