Get answers to your legal and financial affairs questions about caregiving from AARP expert Amanda Singleton. Join the discussion today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Lonesome parrt of Day

Message 11 of 26

@pl49586880 wrote:

THANKS TO DAVE FOR POEMS AND THANKS TO PAM FOR THE WELCOME AND YES I WILL RETURN AS STATED!  Smiley Happy 

Please feel free to start a topic or post about your past like favorite trip or childhood memories. You can also post on older posts here, Your comments will reopen the top and others here cans see your new comments.

The pages are listed at the top of the topic page.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 26

THANKS TO DAVE FOR POEMS AND THANKS TO PAM FOR THE WELCOME AND YES I WILL RETURN AS STATED!  Smiley Happy 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 26

I see they repeat sometimes, strange!  ok any way, I also see it went through, YAY!   WILL CHECK BACK LATER THANKS AGAIN FOR THE SUPPORT!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 26

hope my last message went through.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 26

You are welcome I  will be here since i am alone and am on disability.  i have all the time in the world to chat so have at it!  I will check in frequently!  Thanks for caring and sharing, the poems will help!  I love it!  Woman LOL  wierd imoji   but  ok if that what it sends!  :robothappy   cn't these imoji's send the pic?

@gatorgorilla wrote:

@pl49586880 wrote:

I completely understand what you are talking about I deeply miss this time of year also!  The cool air setting in and the leaves falling and days shortening.  It means to me life is shortening.  My family used to celebrate the holidays at our house (mom and dad's)  I would help mom decorate and cook and bake.  The rest of the family would come celebrate and enjoy and bring what they would or could to eat.  we would set up an extra table to accomadate everyone to eat and after the meal the women would play games and the men would watch football or just tv.  after that everyone would pick at the leftovers, talk then go home later.  What a family tradition!   Now the family is all gone but me and one brother and I am only 54.  I hardly communicate with my brother and he lives only 3 hours away, it hurts so much!  I do not think I did anything that wrong to hurt him or his feelingsSmiley Sad  Well that is my sadness.  But I do have 2 boys, one half hour away and the other recently married one and half hour away.  the one  recently married is dissapearing from my life slowly , his wif is the issue, the other is getting a girlfriend who is not understanding why he communicates with me so frequently.  Who knows where this will lead.  I feel so alone but sometimes I like it others I do not!  It is a blessing I did get as many years as I did though and I do see and feel signs of mom and dad and my other brother who passed years ago in auto accident in differnt ways!  Thank you god for having all of them in my life!  Smiley Happy

@pl49586880   -   For a first post, your's is a doozy, pl49586880!  I loved those family holiday get-togethers you wrote about.  Thanks for sharing & for your honest feelings about your present situation. I hope we'll hear from you again, here at AARP Online Community.  We welcome you aboard!   Pam   

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 26

@DaveMcK  -  Thanks for your post with thoughts about aging, Dave.  My favorite:  "The good thing about being old is not being young."  So true!  So true!  Smiley Happy  Pam

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 26

@pl49586880 wrote:

I completely understand what you are talking about I deeply miss this time of year also!  The cool air setting in and the leaves falling and days shortening.  It means to me life is shortening.  My family used to celebrate the holidays at our house (mom and dad's)  I would help mom decorate and cook and bake.  The rest of the family would come celebrate and enjoy and bring what they would or could to eat.  we would set up an extra table to accomadate everyone to eat and after the meal the women would play games and the men would watch football or just tv.  after that everyone would pick at the leftovers, talk then go home later.  What a family tradition!   Now the family is all gone but me and one brother and I am only 54.  I hardly communicate with my brother and he lives only 3 hours away, it hurts so much!  I do not think I did anything that wrong to hurt him or his feelingsSmiley Sad  Well that is my sadness.  But I do have 2 boys, one half hour away and the other recently married one and half hour away.  the one  recently married is dissapearing from my life slowly , his wif is the issue, the other is getting a girlfriend who is not understanding why he communicates with me so frequently.  Who knows where this will lead.  I feel so alone but sometimes I like it others I do not!  It is a blessing I did get as many years as I did though and I do see and feel signs of mom and dad and my other brother who passed years ago in auto accident in differnt ways!  Thank you god for having all of them in my life!  Smiley Happy

@pl49586880   -   For a first post, your's is a doozy, pl49586880!  I loved those family holiday get-togethers you wrote about.  Thanks for sharing & for your honest feelings about your present situation. I hope we'll hear from you again, here at AARP Online Community.  We welcome you aboard!   Pam   

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 26

Some other peoples thoughts and comments about old age:

“It’s [old age] not a surprise, we knew it was coming – make the most of it. So you may not be as fast on your feet, and the image in your mirror may be a little disappointing, but if you are still functioning and not in pain, gratitude should be the name of the game.”
Betty White, If You Ask Me

“Discipline

I am old and I have had
more than my share of good and bad.

I've had love and sorrow, seen sudden death
and been left alone and of love bereft.

I thought I would never love again
and I thought my life was grief and pain.

The edge between life and death was thin,
but then I discovered discipline.

I learned to smile when I felt sad,
I learned to take the good and the bad,
I learned to care a great deal more
for the world about me than before.

I began to forget the "Me" and "I"
and joined in life as it rolled by:
this may not mean sheer ecstasy
but is better by far than "I" and "Me.”
Meryl Gordon

“I'm growing fonder of my staff;
I'm growing dimmer in my eyes;
I'm growing fainter in my laugh;
I'm growing deeper in my sighs;
I'm growing careless of my dress;
I'm growing frugal of my gold;
I'm growing wise; I'm growing--yes,--
I'm growing old.”
John Godfrey Saxe

“Sunrise paints the sky with pinks and the sunset with peaches. Cool to warm. So is the progression from childhood to old age.”
Vera Nazarian, The Perpetual Calendar of Inspiration

“And this is the strangest of all paradoxes of the human adventure; we live inside all experience, but we are permitted to bear witness only to the outside. Such is the riddle of life and the story of the passing of our days.”
Howard Thurman

“When we age we shed many skins: ego, arrognace, dominance, self-opionated, unreliable, pessimism, rudeness, selfish, uncaring ... Wow, it's good to be old!”
Stephen Richards

So in closing: “The good thing about being old is not being young.”
Stephen Richards

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 26

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 26

We "Must" all hang in there together. We can, and will get through this. There is still a lot to look forward to. Well, I'm going to Paneras on Friday with Rachel, my next door neighbor and her daughter Lynda. Of course, before that I have a doctor's appointment, oh, well, I guess such is life. I try to keep an upbeat look on things. I try to stay positive, it's not always easy, as you all know but I keep reminding myself of all I have to be thankful for, no I can't have it like it was but I can have it like it is, and I have been physically feeling a lot better. Soooo, to my friends out there I want to say, "we must all hang in there together."

Kudos
Views