Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: IN 1944 D-DAY LANDINGS ON JUNE 6, 1944.

Message 1 of 4

@DaveMcK - One of my Mom's 1st cousins got a purple heart, in the Battle of the Bulge!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

@ASTRAEA  We did not get to Normandy on our travels when I was stationed in Germany in 1969. We did get to Bastogne a to see the are of the Battle of the Bulge and the Nuts Museum.

"The Siege of Bastogne was an engagement in December 1944 between American and German forces at the Belgian town of Bastogne, as part of the larger Battle of the Bulge. The goal of the German offensive was the harbour at Antwerp."

"At this critical road junctions of St. Vith and Bastogne, American tankers and paratroopers fought off repeated attacks, and when the acting commander of the 101st Airborne Division in Bastogne was summoned by his German adversary to surrender, he simply responded, "Nuts!"

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

Thanks for posting this! Have you been there, to the massive cemeteries at the various landing beaches? I remember going to one when I was in France, but not sure if it was Omaha Beach or one of the others. Small white stone crosses (not all) as far as the eye can see. The link above includes audio of some 1st person accounts.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

IN 1944 D-DAY LANDINGS ON JUNE 6, 1944.

Message 4 of 4

Good morning everyone! On this date in 1944 D-DAY LANDINGS: JUNE 6, 1944.
During World War II (1939-1945), the Battle of Normandy, which lasted from June 1944 to August 1944, resulted in the Allied liberation of Western Europe from Nazi Germany’s control. Codenamed Operation Overlord, the battle began on June 6, 1944, also known as D-Day, when some 156,000 American, British and Canadian forces landed on five beaches along a 50-mile stretch of the heavily fortified coast of France’s Normandy region. The invasion was one of the largest amphibious military assaults in history and required extensive planning. Prior to D-Day, the Allies conducted a large-scale deception campaign designed to mislead the Germans about the intended invasion target. By late August 1944, all of northern France had been liberated, and by the following spring the Allies had defeated the Germans. The Normandy landings have been called the beginning of the end of war in Europe.

By 24 July: Their were120,000 Western Allies casualties. Thank you for your ultimate sacrifice and may you all R.I.P

debarquement-de-normandie.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Normandy

The view on board a landing craft June 6, 1944

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10212787695467015&id=1226831037

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.