Science is honing in on better ways to treat chronic pain. Read about it in this AARP series.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: How did you meet your best friend? RE-posted

Message 1 of 7

My best friend I met 18 years ago is my husband.  I placed a dating ad in the local newspaper.  I had many, many responses, met a handful in person in a public place, then I tried one more time and "low and behold" my future husband was there.  We met in early July 1996 and got married the following 2-17-1997.  Thank God he was and is "Mr. Right", because 3 years after marriage I suffered a stroke during my sleep.  Usually that form of stroke is fatal.  Luckily, my husband was there and is here for the "long haul".  I had to retire early and go on Medicare.  A lot of relationships fail when confronted with this situation; however, we seem to have become closer.  You may ask what is our secret, especially since we are an inter-racial couple.  The answer is two-fold  1) Always communicate and 2) Place God first in our lives.  With God, ALL things ARE possible!

God can cast out fears  05212015.gifNo need to fear

hands_prayer 05202015.jpgPrayers are answered if you believe.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

It was the late 70's and someone brought me to his friend's house. We went into a basement room. Candles all over, oh and the life sized Alice Cooper poster...this young guy on the couch. When it was time to go home I was going to hitchike...that was just about the time when it became too unsafe. So this guy said he would go with me, and bring his dog. I'll never forget that night, I got a car to stop that would give us all a ride. The dog was a huge male German Shepherd and he kept his nose out the window and head on the drivers shoulder the whole way. No way that driver was trying anything  funny. Me, him and the dog started to hang out together.

We've been through so much over the years. But it's still magical going to his house, talking about grandkids and letting our mutual dogs frolic together.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

you guys are lucky to have that. guess i have always been kinda a lone wolf. i have had team mates, school ppl that i was friendly with but none i would say were my best friend. my best friends are my kids! know it sounds sad for me but i am outgoing and ppl say i'm funny. but, outside of family i really am not close to anyone.

dont take life too serious
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

Best Friend and I met when we were in Elementary School together.We both went to a Special Education School.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

Jerry and I met in the 7th grade. His folks built a home about 2 blocks from my folks home. We met at school after classes and both starting walking home. It was just a few block on the way home that we discovered we both were headed in the same direction which was on the other side of town. Since then we were in school together and were in several school functions together. While in school we double dated and went to parties together. When we went off to college we both decided on the same  school. Our dad's work at the same company. After our second year in school his girl friend and my future wife meet at the same school that we were at. The four of us did many things together while at school. We married two weeks apart and we were in each others weddings. We will both celebrate our 49th anniversaries this fall. We both severed the Army about the same time from  1967 to 1970. However, we went in totally different directions. Our families did many things together over the years. We see them less now as our families have drawn us in different directions. We do get together at the passing of our folks as the funerals are at our home town. Our kids get together some as 3 of them live live in Milwaukee. They both come to Madison for functions and we see them at that time. Jerry and I meet someplace for golf about once a year. We have gone to baseball games in Milwaukee a couple times.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

Wow the timing on this is incredible!  Just yesterday I had a wonderful visit with my oldest friend, and even though it was the first time we've sat in the same room and talked since 1991, I have to say she is still my best friend.

We met in the 3rd grade and she sat almost behind me in class.  There was only a boy between us and he had a crush on me.  I was the new girl in class and both she and the boy had been there since the 1st grade and knew each other well.  He confided in her his feelings for me and she decided to play cupid, which was how we got to know each other.  She felt she had succeeded when he and I were married under the dogwood tree on the playground during recess and she stood beside me.

She also stood beside me when I was married for real some 18 years later and I stood beside her at her wedding.  Our lives have turned out to be very different over the years and in many ways it would seem we would have nothing in common.  We live about as far from each other as possible (Richland, WA - Macon, GA) and many months might go by between e-mails or phone calls, but then it seems we have as much to talk about as we ever did and we once again become those little girls who pretended we were twins and had Dick Van Dyke count our freckles.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

How did you meet your best friend? RE-posted

Message 7 of 7
Posted by irishmystic
Gold Conversationalist
How did you meet your best friend?

How did you meet your best friend?  For instance Forty years ago when I was a young mom, my daughter came home from playing and said she had met Dennis the menace!  So I said well, I want to meet this Dennis the menace too!  She took me down the street to a little white house and knocked on the door and out came another young mom like myself who had four little boys.  So which one was Dennis the menace?  It was the young mom, she was kidding around with my daughter since her last name was Dennis.  So she invited me in for coffee and we have been best friends ever since!

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Replies