Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How are you handling your recently diagnosed Diabetes

Message 1 of 2

@Bobtskis Hello and welcome to the online forum. I know there are lots of people here with diabetes, so I'm hopeful some of them will chime in so that together you may gain insight into your personal struggles with the disease, learning management techniques from experienced voices.

While I come from DNA that is rife with diabetes, I have (knock on wood) perfect blood sugar. 

I have read a ton about diabetes, and try to keep to a diabetes-friendly diet as a mode of prevention. Here's what this non-diabetic knows about blood sugar control: lots of fiber is helpful in eliminating carbs. Yams and broccoli are good veggies to eat because they have low glycemic indexes and also help your body process sugars. Don't juice, as recent studies have shown that juicing turns fruits and veggies into nearly pure sugar and reduces fiber, so juicing works against your goal. Raw carrots are good: over cooked carrots have a high glycemic index. What, how and when you eat is as important as how much you eat. 

One thing my husband's doctor told him (he also comes from a family with a lot of diabetes, and indeed he lost his sister to diabetes last year, so he's been keen to monitor his blood sugar) that hard workouts can raise blood sugar. 

I think lowering one's A1C can be quite tricky. I wish you every success and perfect health.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

How are you handling your recently diagnosed Diabetes

Message 2 of 2

When I was given the news about a year and a half ago, it was a sobering moment (A1C of 7.4) .  My Doctor apologized for not having any additional resources to help me with mapping out a course of action. With all of the cuts in Healthcare their network no longer had a Dietician or any other consultant specializing in preventative actions.  Basically I was told to change my Diet, lose weight and Exercise. No other guidance?  The first action I took was to cut out all sugar and switch over to whole grains whenever I are breads and/or pastas.  I lost 10 pounds in around 40 days.  I went out and got a tracker unit that showed my steps, sleep and other data.  I upped my walking to around an average of 5 miles a day.  After the initial weight loss I hit a plateau for 3 months.  I was very frustrated.  My wife showed me a segment from Dr. Oz on fasting and I took it to heart.  I'm 5'10" and initially weighed 239lbs.  I am now at around 205 and my last A1C was 6.1.  I have hit another plateau and am working on some ideas.  Would love to hear someone else's experiences.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera