Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

RE: How about chat rooms?

Message 11 of 23

In Response to RE: How about chat rooms? by irishmystic

My ITP has a chat room where different articles are posted and people are free to make their comments..I also noticed that the local newspaper on line site also has the same...If someone doesn't like something they let it be known, so this dialogue goes back and forth..this is what I think a Chat Room represents...

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 23

In Response to RE: How about chat rooms? by EDIENOW Hi Edie,

I thought this was a chat room also, shows what I know.LOL

Myra

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 23

Pat,

One of my more savvy sons told me that "chat room" is a general term for different types of connecting with people online and sometimes the "chat room" depends upon the software a person is using.

What fun you and your husband must have with Skype!   I've been hinting about that to my son overseas, but he hasn't made a move yet!

-Edie 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 23

In Response to RE: How about chat rooms? by EDIENOW

Edie, I was thinking maybe a chat room is like that instant messaging some people do, but I could be wrong.  One of my daughters used to like to talk to me with that years ago on the computer, then she got skype and mailed one to me so we can talk that way since she lives in Cape Cod and doesn't get back to Pa. to see us very often.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 23

Pat,

Call me slow, but I have always thought that the AARP threads such as this one, is a "chat room". No?

-Edie

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 23

In Response to RE: How about chat rooms? by happilyretired02

Does this website provide for every state?

Sounds like what I need, I moved to this area 3 years ago, and still don't know anything about the area and what it has to offer.

I lived almost 30 years in the last commjunity, raised my 3 kids, so knew it well. It had a lot of outdoor posibilities, and there were plenty of opportunities to be of service.

Unfortunately, my arthritis got so bad I had to move down bu my daughter, her idea and insistance, so momma and I moved here. Never thought to ask about how to get going again, thank you for the url, will definmitely look it up when I can.

Gerry

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 23

In Response to How about chat rooms? by Meadoes

Hi, I am home alone a lot so I have found some ways to stay busyand my mind occupied so I don't get depressed. I do yardwork, play on my computer, like here, embroider and volunteer. There is an organization that helps place volunteers called , hope this geets posted, www. GetInvolved.com, then cllck on RSVP, they help place people with limitations or disabilites to volunteer.

Sharon

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 23

In Response to RE: How about chat rooms? by jonibee

Hi Everyone...Jonibee gave you lots of good ideas.  Do you belong to a church which might have a group that visit home-bound people?  What about a senior center?  Our community has a bus that will pick you  up in front of your house and return you home.  They have a lunch program 5 days a week which costs $1 and then they have bingo, a visiting speaker, etc.  You might call your City Hall and see if  your community is connected to an advocate for older people that might offer suggestions in your area.  Could your doctor suggest someone to get in touch with that might direct you? 

I'm sorry, I, too, have never been involved or used a chat room.  I really don't know anything about them.  Did you check to see if AARP has one?  I'm sure you know to be careful about choosing a chatroom.  You don't want to get involved in something that is not above board.  Sally

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 23

I too know nothing about "chat rooms"...are they like Face Book? Perhaps  your local library has a volunteer reading to children program or delivering books to the homebound. Check with your local senior group to see if there are any volunteer projects, or the local elementary school might need some help. Some people listen to talk show radio stations and call in with their views or questions..one such radio station is WBZ1030am on your dial. They have good talk shows at mid evening through the early morning hours. Good to listen to, or join in. How about a hobby such as painting, gardening, crosswords, reading (join a group) to what ever holds your interest. Welcome to our front porch..be a joiner contribute and it will come back in the form of new friends.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 23

Meadoes, I can't really address the chat room idea as I was never in one.  The only chatting I have done on the computer was in groups such as this one.  Can you tell us something about chat rooms, I am curious what that is all about.  Sorry to hear that you are alone so much, but it's good you are reaching out to others with the computer.  Sounds like you feel welcome and at home here and hope you will chat with us often.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.