Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you remember when in history?

Message 1 of 12

Morning Dave, I just read your post regarding your mom and hanging the laundry outside on a clothesline with wooden pins.  Made me feel wistful for those days so long ago.  I, too, remember how my mom hung our clothes outside and how the sheets would blow wide in the wind and how good they smelled after a day in the sun and breeze.   I remember how me and my cousin would play--running zig zag through the sheets as they hung on the line and how we'd be careful not to get any dirty fingerprints on them.

I remember climbing the big tree in our backyard and hiding way up there--perched like a bird in a nest.   Sometimes we'd pretend to be hiding from bandits or on the bow of a ship sailing to some distant place.  And sometimes, I just liked going up into the tree by myself, lay back against the sturdiest branch and look up to watch and listen to the leaves as they rustled in the wind with the breaks of sunlight coming through.  Easier times.  Simpler times.  Wistful days gone by.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

I Remember Back When. . .

things were so much simpler. Something small like a clothes line full of laundry blowing in the summer breeze, which really doesn't mean much now, but thinking back then makes all that simplicty of the 60s, make sense over the hustle and bustle of today. Holding hands in public then was an intimate gesture between a boy and a girl. Wearing each other's ring around your neck meant a commitment. Doors unlocked at night meant trust in your fellow neighbors. Keys left above your visor or in the ignition of your car was a common thing in many small towns without fear of your automobile being stolen. If by some break of bad luck it was stolen you walked to your neighbor's, who was also you insurance agent. There was no need to compare car insurance rates, you knew your neighbor would look out for you. Do you remember when these were popular?............. Check out I remember when.

Woolworth...five and dime stores like Woolworth's were popular.  They almost had anything you could want to buy plus they had a lunch counter which served sandwiches, malts, cherry cokes, pies and so much more.  Cheap also. We didn't have a Woolworth's in Circleville but there was one in Columbus which I had been to many times in the 50s and 60s. Click Here to See the Lunch Menu. (Thanks to Wanda Sears for sending it to me)

Clothes Line....growing up in the 50s and 60s, my mother washing and hanging clothes on a clothes line. I can still picture her wiping the clothes line off with a wet rag to rid the line of dirt and bird crap. The clothes would be hung with wooden clothes pins that clipped the clothes to the line. After she hung the clothes up she would prop the line with a line pole and the clothes would just blow in the summer breeze. When the clothes were removed from the clothes line, I still remember how fresh they smelled. I also remembered the clothes being frozen on a cold winter day as they were taken from the line. I don't think I had ever seen a clothes drier until I visited a laundromat while in the Army. I also remember my mother using a soda bottle with a stopper with holes in it which she would fill with water to sprinkle the clothes before ironing. There wasn't any steam irons back then. I can still see the old RC soda bottle Mom used sitting on the ironing board.

old wringer washer.....our first washing machine was an old wringer type like this. When I was about 3 or 4 years old I got my arm caught in the wringer by putting my fingers in the wringer and it just took my entire arm through it. I had to go to the doctor and have an x-ray and my arm was put in a sling.

Oxydol .....laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden insdie the box.

60s - Wooden Ironing Board....wooden ironing boards were used. They were really popular in the 30s, 40s, and 50s but families continued to use them during the 60s. Many folks still use them today. They are considered antiques now.

....the home Mary lived in and actually visited back in the 60s had only one bathroom. How did we survive? She had 1 sisters, mom and dad, grandmother and grandfather all fighting over one bathroom.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

To: millineutron

You are absolutely right!  It is an ice box.   Thank you for your little walk back in time story.  Reminiscing times past makes for happy memories.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

I'm pretty sure it's an icebox? The iceman used to deliver blocks of ice, which would fit into the compartment on the lower right, cooling the food which was kept in the other compartments. No electricity required. Not sure how I know this. When I was a little girl, I remember going with my grandmother & mom to visit an old family friend who lived so far out in the country that she still had a well, an outhouse, & wash basins in the bedrooms. I think she must have had an icebox similar to this one. Wow, thanks for eliciting a rich childhood memory!

But now I'm wondering about all kinds of questions. It seems like electricity must have been available to her by then, but can't remember if she had it or not. Also it doesn't seem likely that there was still ice delivery at that point, but I really have no idea. (Or "no i-dee" as my grandmother would have said.) And I'm thinking that converting to indoor plumbing might have just seemed like a huge, unnecessary expense to someone who had lived their whole life without it. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

Image result for picture of the old icebox

Do you remember this item?  What was it called and what did it do?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you remember when in hitory?

Message 6 of 12

Here I come to save the day!Here I come to save the day!

Not sure how this ended up posted twice ... but I will say that Mighty Mouse had one STRONG set of teeth! 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

Here I come to save the day!Here I come to save the day!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

Steamboat Willie, starring Mickey Mouse (1928)

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

Betty Boop is an animated cartoon character created by Max Fleischer, with help from animators including Grim Natwick.[3][4][5][6][7][8] She originally appeared in the Talkartoon and Betty Boop film series, which were produced by Fleischer Studios and released by Paramount Pictures. She has also been featured in comic strips and mass merchandising.

Betty Boop 

Boop looking over her shoulder
A title card of one of the earliest Betty Boop cartoons

A caricature of a Jazz Age flapper, Betty Boop was described in a 1934 court case as: "combin[ing] in appearance the childish with the sophisticated—a large round baby face with big eyes and a nose like a button, framed in a somewhat careful coiffure, with a very small body of which perhaps the leading characteristic is the most self-confident little bust imaginable".[9] Despite having been toned down in the mid-1930s as a result of the Hays Code to appear more demure, she became one of the best-known and popular cartoon characters in the world.

giphy.gif

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

Born in 1952. I loved Tom and Jerry. And all the Looney Toons, Merry Melodies, etc. Felix the Cat. All of them. I can't get into the CGI (computer graphics) cartoons of these days.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Call-in Event: Coronavirus: Maintaining Your Well-Being

Ask experts about the coronavirus, learn how to protect yourself, stay connected and cope with stress and anxiety brought on by the pandemic. Join AARP for a special call-in event April 9, at 1:00 pm (EDT).

You can participate by calling toll-free 1-855-274-9507.

Learn more about the event on our Tele-Town Hall page.