Do you ASK for discount? UPDATED WITH AARP DISCOUNT LIST

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you ASK for discount? UPDATED WITH AARP DISCOUNT LIST

Message 31 of 44

@rayraf - Is it possible that the previous manager and/or other employees continued to honor an offer that was officially discontinued, and the new manager is totally unaware of it? Perhaps to avoid getting in trouble, the other employees didn't even tell the new manager, although that left you in a very awkward position. What about contacting a Dunkin Donuts corporate office, and asking about it, and explaining how embarassed you were, by the new manager's 3rd degree about your AARP membership?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 44

I went to my local Dunkin Donuts in Port Wentworth, GA today that I have been going to for the past 15 months since I moved here. I asked for my usual AARP deal (buy a large coffee, get a free donut). The woman waiting on me said they don't offer this deal at this location.  I explained to her that I had got the deal yesterday and many other times at this location. It even prints AARP discount on the receipt.  She even questioned if I was a senior and if I was a member of AARP. I showed her my AARP card and she started ranting this this location and the one she used to work at in Ohio don't offer this discount. I told her I moved here from Ohio and they definitely did offer me the AARP deal there too. I asked to speak to the manager and she said she is the manager and asked me to leave, which I did right away. I have been a loyal customer of this location in Port Wentworth, GA for more than a year. I won't be going back and I would advise any other AARP member to avoid this location too. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 44

Dunkin Donuts - Most of them in my area state you have to buy a donut to get a coffee. My husband is retired miliary so in many cases, the military discount is greater. Recently, I had a nice young lady at the counter give me a discount of 20%, but I can't remember what she said it was for. Wherever you go (not just DD), ask up front what type of discounts and incentives they have. Some places have given me a discount just for asking!

CJ

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you ASK for discount?

Message 34 of 44

Or you can get a free donut with your coffee....  AARP Members get a FREE donut with any L or XL beverage at DD.  Here is link to all discounts and benefits through AARP - http://www.aarp.org/benefits-discounts/

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 44
Dunkin Donuts will give 20% for police/fire/retired military or spouse with their ID.

Frozen
And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 44
@DaveMcK wrote:

nctarheel
The key is you have to ask! I found the list in an email and I would think it is a little out dated. Also you need to remember that with chains there are company stores and there are franchises. I have notice that Starbucks are not the same in a hotel as they are on the street corner. Those in hotel do not always honor their gift cards. Also if you qualify be sure to ask for Veterans, AARP and AAA discounts.

I recently got an e-mail for an event being held in Atlantic City during the winter, with a note about the excellent room rate being offered to OUR Group, for those who wanted to stay the night. I got on the hotel's website, and saw that was the posted room rate .. nothing special at all! Sometimes all these "discounts" are just gimmicks! I also found out that the cancellation policy (since there's a high possibility of snow) is 3 days before. If you want to be able to cancel the night before, the room rate goes up .. but it's worth the peace of mind not to lose it all!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 44

nctarheel
The key is you have to ask! I found the list in an email and I would think it is a little out dated. Also you need to remember that with chains there are company stores and there are franchises. I have notice that Starbucks are not the same in a hotel as they are on the street corner. Those in hotel do not always honor their gift cards. Also if you qualify be sure to ask for Veterans, AARP and AAA discounts.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 44
@nctarheel wrote:
There is a grocery chain, Bi-Lo, that links your age to its' loyalty card. Wednesday is their senior day so when they scan your loyalty card, you automatically get your discount on Wednesday.

That's convenient! Hanes has an outlet store nearby, but you have to remember that Tuesdays are their senior day(55+ or 60+), and ask about it.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 44

I do my grocery shopping at Kroger and they also have the discount computerized with the loyalty card.  It's 5% if I remember to do my shopping on Wednesday.  I tend to forget about asking for discounts at other places.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 44

@ASTRAEA wrote:

So many merchants are computerized now, wouldn't it be great if our credit cards were coded with our birthdate, and that automatically connected with a merchant's system, applying the correct discount!

Recently, PetSmart eliminated their physical "club card", so all you have to do is key in your phone number, to get the discount. I always feel that when the "burden of proof" is on the customer, to know their points, codes or what they're entitled to, to receive it .. the merchant is trying to look generous, but hoping customers don't know or avail themselves of discounts. Whether they're for seniors or any other category of shopper!

There is a grocery chain, Bi-Lo, that links your age to its' loyalty card. Wednesday is their senior day so when they scan your loyalty card, you automatically get your discount on Wednesday.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.