Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Bronze Conversationalist

Coffee !

I've been all over these forums & can't find the 'right forum', so mybe i'll find an answer on the front porch ?  Smiley Very Happy

I have 2 cans of 'cheapie' coffee ; tried mixing them so they would be more flavorful, but not-so-much did it work. Might buy a more spendy brand & mix them, but in meantime, anyone have any ideas on how to make these cheap brands taste better ?

Thanks !

Sandee2
Social Butterfly

NO , I DIDN'T BUT NOW I DO!
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Honored Social Butterfly

Irish Coffee!

st-4020019__480.jpg52368475-st-patricks-day-vintage-holiday-badge-design-vector-illustration-eps10.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

THE IRISH COFFEE STORY

The historic venture started on the night of November the 10th in 1952. Jack Koeppler, then-owner of the Buena Vista, challenged international travel writer Stanton Delaplane to help re-create a highly touted "Irish Coffee" served at Shannon Airport in Ireland. Intrigued, Stan Accepted Jackโ€™s invitation, and the pair began to experiment immediately.

Throughout the night the two of them stirred and sipped judiciously and eventually acknowledged two recurring problems. The taste was "not quite right," and the cream would not float. Stanโ€™s hopes sank like the cream, but Jack was undaunted. The restaurateur pursued the elusive elixir with religious fervor, even making a pilgrimage overseas to Shannon Airport.

Upon Jackโ€™s return, the experimentation continued. Finally, the perfect-tasting Irish whiskey was selected. Then the problem of the bottom-bent cream was taken to San Franciscoโ€™s mayor, a prominent dairy owner. It was discovered that when the cream was aged for 48 hours and frothed to a precise consistency, it would float as delicately as a swan on the surface of Jackโ€™s and Stanโ€™s special nectar.

Success was theirs! With the recipe now mastered, a sparkling clear, six-ounce, heat-treated goblet was chosen as a suitable chalice.

Soon the fame of the Buena Vistaโ€™s Irish Coffee spread throughout the land. Today, itโ€™s still the same delicious mixture, and itโ€™s still the same clamorous, cosmopolitan Buena Vista. Bothโ€ฆdelightful experiences.

Below is the man who started it all!

stanton.jpg

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Saturday coffee!

71vrCuZ+hTL._SY879_.jpgFB_IMG_1549913492065.jpg

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

May your day be as warm and lovely as this cup of coffee! 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Time for some afternoon coffee ans deserts on the Front Porch!

FB_IMG_1526331214891.jpgs-l400.jpg

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Oh, by the way, did I mention I like.....

Related image

...a lotta cream in my coffee!

Honored Social Butterfly

Image result for beautiful coffee sayings with image

Honored Social Butterfly

How should we fix our coffee this morning?

imageService.jpegFB_IMG_1509067723465.jpg

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

How do you brew a great cup or mug of afternoon coffee to go with your favorite treat?

FB_IMG_1474078657032.jpg15a63204-e366-47a1-9618-60a112687cba_4.4d445d7f9760fd1902b90bd819e906f3.jpeg

Honored Social Butterfly

Bravo, Dave, to the coffee, the cream, and the treats!   My question though to you is:  "How did you get a picture of my Keurig--red color and all?"

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Image result for i want someone to look at me the way i look at coffee

I want someone to look at me the way I look at my coffee.

Honored Social Butterfly

Image result for coffee sayings with images

Honored Social Butterfly

Honored Social Butterfly

Did you have a coffee maker like this where you worked? I did!

black-bunn-coffee-makers-33200-0015-64_1000.jpgFB_IMG_1543075259655.jpg

Regular Social Butterfly

LOL... I had a smaller version for home.  Gosh, I loved it!

@DaveMcK wrote:

Did you have a coffee maker like this where you worked? I did!

black-bunn-coffee-makers-33200-0015-64_1000.jpgFB_IMG_1543075259655.jpg

Recognized Social Butterfly

Dave,

We had them, when the new administration building was finally finished for The Arc of Monmouth. This was the same time, 4 additional group homes where opened. Each resident home had them also, in the staff room. Used daily. Needed daily

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

How are we making our coffee today?

FB_IMG_1533954628838.jpgdf357f36-5868-4e6f-a3b2-c7bb3479a62b_1.af2ecee0a4cb0f9207acad24140c2cc9.jpeg

Honored Social Butterfly

To answer  your question, Dave, I made my coffee fresh with a lotta Coffemate and Truvia.  So it was very hot, carmel-colored, and super sweet.  Thanks for asking.

Lydia

Honored Social Butterfly

A brief history of coffee in the US military

Americans throwing tea in Boston Harbor was the start of our national movement toward the dark and bitter nectar of the gods. This is why tea time is gone and why we Americans take coffee breaks now.

Coffee houses were the center of political discussion during the American Revolution. These days, few things are as inextricably linked with the United States and its military as coffee.

The Women Who Fried Donuts and Dodged Bombs on the Front Lines of WWI Even if they had to use shell casings as rolling pins, the donuts still got made

image: https://thumbs-prod.si-cdn.com/VHXPcplmBZd_yhvFeSHoGOvCXIw=/800x600/filters:no_upscale()/https://pub...

donut girl 2.jpgWomen of the Salvation Army relied on ingenuity to serve up thousands of donuts to WWI soldiers. (Courtesy of Salvation Army)
SMITHSONIAN.COM 
APRIL 12, 2017

When women of Salvation Army volunteered to join the front lines of World War I to support the American Expeditionary Force, they were given a few obvious supplies: gas masks, helmets and .45-caliber revolvers. But it turned out what they needed most were things much harder for the Army to supply: rolling pins, cookie cutters, flour and sugr.

980x (3).jpg980x (2).jpg980x (1).jpg980x.jpg980x (4).jpg

Regular Social Butterfly

Huh, guess women did something right at some point in history. Smiley HappySmiley LOL

@DaveMcK wrote:
A brief history of coffee in the US military

Americans throwing tea in Boston Harbor was the start of our national movement toward the dark and bitter nectar of the gods. This is why tea time is gone and why we Americans take coffee breaks now.

Coffee houses were the center of political discussion during the American Revolution. These days, few things are as inextricably linked with the United States and its military as coffee.

The Women Who Fried Donuts and Dodged Bombs on the Front Lines of WWI Even if they had to use shell casings as rolling pins, the donuts still got made

image: https://thumbs-prod.si-cdn.com/VHXPcplmBZd_yhvFeSHoGOvCXIw=/800x600/filters:no_upscale()/https://pub...

donut girl 2.jpgWomen of the Salvation Army relied on ingenuity to serve up thousands of donuts to WWI soldiers. (Courtesy of Salvation Army)
SMITHSONIAN.COM 
APRIL 12, 2017

When women of Salvation Army volunteered to join the front lines of World War I to support the American Expeditionary Force, they were given a few obvious supplies: gas masks, helmets and .45-caliber revolvers. But it turned out what they needed most were things much harder for the Army to supply: rolling pins, cookie cutters, flour and sugar.

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/donut-girls-wwi-helped-fill-soldiers-bellies-and-get-women-vo...
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

980x (3).jpg980x (2).jpg980x (1).jpg980x.jpg980x (4).jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@Butterfly565 

All Veterans will have positive stories of females contributions to wars efforts over America's history. Today they are Pilots, Officers and Enlisted service members. As a Cold War Veteran I saw them active in noncombat positions. For my Vietnam brothers their present in country is well documented. Majority of the American women that served in Vietnam were trained, graduate nurses. Most were fresh out of college and had volunteered their service, while other, more experienced nurses were sent to Vietnam to assist in training many South Vietnamese women. The first group of the Army Nurse Corps arrived in Vietnam in 1956, and by 1973 nearly 7500 American women would be serving in Vietnam. Only eight of them died during the conflict, two of which were posthumously awarded bravery medallions โ€“ Lieutenant Colonel Annie Ruth Graham had previously served in World War II and the Korea War while First Lieutenant Sharon Lane had previously served in Korea. Graham died in 1968 after suffering a stroke, and Lane died shortly after from injuries sustained after an attack on the hospital where she had been stationed.[9] Lane was later also awarded a posthumous Vietnamese Gallantry Cross with Palm and the Vietnamese Bronze Star for Heroism.

Women's memorial in DC.Women's memorial in DC.WAF-Vietnam.png

Honored Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK wrote:

@Butterfly565 

All Veterans will have positive stories of females contributions to wars efforts over America's history. Today they are Pilots, Officers and Enlisted service members. As a Cold War Veteran I saw them active in noncombat positions. For my Vietnam brothers their present in country is well documented. Majority of the American women that served in Vietnam were trained, graduate nurses. Most were fresh out of college and had volunteered their service, while other, more experienced nurses were sent to Vietnam to assist in training many South Vietnamese women. The first group of the Army Nurse Corps arrived in Vietnam in 1956, and by 1973 nearly 7500 American women would be serving in Vietnam. Only eight of them died during the conflict, two of which were posthumously awarded bravery medallions โ€“ Lieutenant Colonel Annie Ruth Graham had previously served in World War II and the Korea War while First Lieutenant Sharon Lane had previously served in Korea. Graham died in 1968 after suffering a stroke, and Lane died shortly after from injuries sustained after an attack on the hospital where she had been stationed.[9] Lane was later also awarded a posthumous Vietnamese Gallantry Cross with Palm and the Vietnamese Bronze Star for Heroism.

Women's memorial in DC.Women's memorial in DC.WAF-Vietnam.png

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks Dave for remembering and acknowledging.

Honored Social Butterfly

The pot of the day!

FB_IMG_1551927128288.jpgs-l1600 (9).jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

FB_IMG_1486670620530.jpgs-l1600 (7).jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Image result for beautiful coffee sayings with images

Honored Social Butterfly

I think we should take a look at how we have created our coffee over the years!

FB_IMG_1542550161001.jpgs-l1600 (6).jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Sturgeon Bay North Pierhead Lighthouse on yet another chilly winter morning sunrise, Door County, Wisconsin.- Photo by Luke Collins Photography
The Sturgeon Bay North Pierhead Lighthouse on yet another chilly winter morning.

FB_IMG_1551711103871.jpgFB_IMG_1551708575752.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

FB_IMG_1550417454840.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

FB_IMG_1548728072038.jpgFB_IMG_1551367714303.jpg

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP