Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Clearing House and Head

Message 1 of 20
It makes me feel like I could use a couple beers!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 20

My wife and I have aways cleaned and kept up the lawn and did repairs to the house. However, as we have aged it is much harder to do major repairs. Even yard work is more of a chore than fun these days. We both have back issues and knee issues. I had a full knee replacement in November of 2011. Mary had major back surgery in 2009. We bring in someone for remodeling and have someone do our snow removal. We should look at a condo but we like to have family gatherings for the holidays.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Cleaning House and Head

Message 3 of 20

This is a general response to cleaning the house so take it for what it is.  Most men I've known hate any house work and are basically slobs.  Many women are also the same way.  But, as a male I cannot condone a filthy home.  If someone will not clean their homes, then that to often means they won't make repairs, maintain their vehicles or yards, etc.  I've also noted that those who do clean and maintain their belongings are usually healthier than those who don't.  They also have pride in themselves.

In my case, my wife and I share duties, help each other in everything, whether it is planning for the future, washing clothes, keeping the house, gardens and yard in good shape, etc.  For instance, I will dust and vacuum our 2000 square foot home every Sunday.  She will mop, if needed, and water the indoor plants.  It only takes about thirty minutes if the house is already cleaned weekly.  Nothing is worse when visiting someones home when you don't want to touch anything or even sit down because everything is dusty, greasy, smelly and just plain dirty.  When I was single, I kept my quarters clean.  When I married my wife 44 years ago and ever since, we've share our duties (if you will).  We don't assign duties.  We do what must be done.  For instance, if one is not good at something (like cooking - I burn water) then the other does it.  In another example, she hates drying dishes and much prefers washing them.  So she washes and I dry.  If the dishwasher is used, she puts the items in the machine and I remove them and place them in the cabinets.  We wash, dry and fold clothes together.  I clean and maintain the cars and outdoor sprinklers and things that my wife cannot do, like cut the grass, hedges, etc.  She plans and maintains the hundreds of plants we have in the yard and house.  She enjoys that and is good at it.  We have two indoor cats and I guarantee you will never know it as their is no pet smell in the house.

What it comes down too is that if you want a nice, healthy and enjoyable place to live in then you better clean it.  If there are two or more of you, then share the work.  I guarantee you will be happier and healthier.  Most people hate doing all the work while the other one lays around dirtying it up.

To many males I know think it is not manly to clean house.  I believe it is unmanly to not clean house.  The choice is yours.  I like clean clothes, a clean house and sharing everything with my spouse.  It's a much better way to live.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 20

The financial situation in our household took a turn for the worse when my husband became permanently disabled at age 49. Ten years later, I retired to care for him and two autistic grandchildren and money became even scarcer. I buy a lot of things at yard sales to stretch the retirement funds, and I just recently came to the realization that I buy way too much stuff with an attitude of "I'll probably be able to use this." I have winnowed nonessential things as old clothing, books, several vcrs and tapes, linens, gardening supplies, pictures, etc but we'll still experience a major ordeal if we move from our home of 37 years into a retirement mobile home park that we've considered. I am vested via early childhood deprivation to the emotional security of these possessions, and this coupled the difficulty of replacing things due to our current financial strain make downsizing emotionally harder. But, I don't want to leave too much clutter for my kids when they have to settle our estate- I am still donating things and just disposed of old paint, and less desirable clutter.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 20

I know what you mean.  I finally started reducing my family videos to DVD.  I didn't realize how much clutter there was until I started to reduce and condense things. It felt so good I kept on going.  I went through my closet and drawers, the bookshelf and kitchen cabinets.  I felt great. Woman Very Happy  My home looks and feels more comfy.  I even went through my glove compartment and the truck of my car. 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 20

I don't mind cleaning my house, I know it's gotta be done.  The things I gaze longingly at are my books.  I remember so many of them so well, and it's almost like I've got friends I've met in there and I don't want to get rid of them.  When I first moved into my mom's house, the basement was literally packed so I kind of closed my eyes and began carrying it up for the goodwill to pick up.  That was back in l988 and I'm afraid I've accumulated quite a bit of my own since then but I try to make a rule for myself for everything I bring into my house, I carry and donate something else.  I don't know if all of that makes much sense but I guess it works for me.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 20
I helped keep my mom's house clean when she was ill, and we also had to clean it out after she passed , it was very sad but I knew I my heart I was doing the right thing, the house was our family house too, my youngest brother had passed from cancer and his life was in it too, it was hard but God got me through it!😊💖
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 20

I use to get real joy having a super clean house and it pleased my husband immensely. So for twenty years I kept a spotless home, on one occasion at a party we were having a guest spilled her drink in the kitchen and promptly got paper towels and wiped it up.  She was drinking Vodka and Sprint which was all clear, after wiping the floor she declared holding up the paper towels for all to see, "Look at this, you can eat off of her floors", denoting how clean my house was.  That earned me the nickname of Mrs Clean.  Many years have passed and so has my husband, I now have a bad back, knees and wrist so I can no longer get down on my hands and knees to scrub the floors nor do I even want to any more.  But I still feel good when the place is clean.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 20

Ugh!  I dread it, I don't enjoy it, I'm annoyed by certain members of the family who can't organize their stuff and I'm very glad when the job's done,  I've moved many times, and first you have to hold a garage sale, pack, then clean (old house) then clean (new house) and unpack.  Gaack.

My sister, bless her, cleared out my parents' home when they downsized to a retirement/assisted living community.  After my dad died, and mother needed to move to assisted living, we both moved her - with staff helping with the big stuff, thank heaven.  Whem mom died, we both again cleared her apartment, with help from our partners.  Many hands make work lighter.  

I often think fondly of the days of college, when everything I owned could fit in one small car.  Yes, I enjoy living comfortably, but I can do with less and less as time goes by.  (Not so my hubby, sigh.)  I'd like to think that as we age we would increasingly declutter, leaving next to nothing for those who will have the job of clearing up after us to do.  

Otherwise, I am an increasing believer in estate sales and donating.  Salvarion Army, Habitat for Humanity are my preferred donees.  

It's been a dozen years since my parents died, and all that work done, and 6 years since I last moved.  Truth be told, I still have a lot of things (including books and files from my career from which I retired 10 years ago) that I can't quite seem to let go.   So every once in a while I go through and delete a small pile.  Sigh.  Some of it I just don't know what to do with - it's too good to just throw away but who on earth would want it?  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 20
. 2 years ago I had to clean my dad's home , he lives in , England and I live in California,..wow , 50 years of stuff...due to Health reasons with him and his wife, I moved them to a nursing facility... I had 3 months to take care of the whole process, thank to God's help igot thru this ordeal.
Kudos
Views