Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Regular Contributor

delete

delete

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Congratulations! Good for you! And agree, some should be warned disturbing.

But want yall to know many of us older want you to know it's okay if there isn't burial, service, etc... some of us have chosen and please let that be our end?

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

This sounds interesting in these days of ecological awareness. Mary and I have plans to be cremated and have our ashes placed in a urns. We have a space in a vault. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Gold Conversationalist

@eveAre 

It seems that New York just recently made this legal. Perhaps there are other nearby states that either permit this now or will soon. Or perhaps New York is close enough.

See this recent news article https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/01/new-york-governor-legalizes-human-composting-after-d...

Best wishes.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for your response. Yes I learned about it when the news came out about New York. I am in Jersey. It may be too soon, but I searched for a place and could not find anything with clarity. I did find the place on the west coast who can compost but that is too far for my family and the cost of shipping and then trucking it all would be a hardship. I will continue looking would prefer composting because I want my family to plant an oak tree from it. 🙂 would like to stay around and feed the birds and squirrels.  Going to keep looking. Just need to make sure I find a legitimate place. too many scammers out there. 

Gold Conversationalist

@eveAre 

This might be the place. http://www.naturalburial.org/

It is in upstate New York. And offers a more natural process than the commercial composting. Read through the site, it sounds really nice!

Gold Conversationalist

Wow, this composting is much different than what I thought. Though I believe I have read of cemeteries that permit burials without metal coffins, embalming, etc. The composting that New York just approved is much different than simply a natural burial.

I now live in Alberta, Canada and apparently burial without a coffin gaining acceptance here per this news article https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/green-burials-lethbridge-hiroshi-okubo-ralph-zentner-1.546365...

Regular Contributor

Yes, it's new in New York but I can't find a place to have it done in New York or Jersey. or anywhere close. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP