Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Are you an Awards Show Fan?

Message 1 of 4

@DaveMcK  I can't sit still long enough to get through an awards show. I used to check the reports the next day, but anymore barely care what happens. I'm fatigued with the politicalization of what should be a party, for one thing, but for another, we watch so little TV that we don't have any idea who the featured 'stars' are or what they've done. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

Yes, I enjoy them even though I don't much care who wins what except as a guide for what I should seek.

What I most enjoy is the clothing. I love seeing how the attendees are dressed.

I Tweeted March 5:

I think it was the 2017 Academy Awards that Lupita Nyong'o wore the best dress and she's done it again! ¡BRAVA! Chadwick Boseman's coat cool. Jane Fonda looks great. I love seeing beautiful people beautifully dressed and coif'd.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

Well based on the disinterest here in award shows we are similar to many Americans. 

UPDATED with official Live+Same Day ratings: It was an Oscar do-over last night for host Jimmy Kimmel, producers Mike De Luca and Jennifer Todd and Best Picture presenters Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway. Following last year’s Envelopegate, which led to Beatty and Dunaway inadvertently announcing a wrong Best Picture winner, the quartet’s second go-round went without a hitch.

But the good news did not carry over to ratings for the 90th Academy Awards, which (correctly) crowned The Shape of Water as Best Picture. Last night’s ceremony, which aired live from 8 PM-11:54 PM EST, averaged 26.5 million viewers (Live+same day) . That was down 19% from last year’s 32.9 million viewers, a nine-year low.

That, despite the fact that The Shape of Water was the the highest-grossing Best Picture winner in five years.

The Oscar ratings doom and gloom was foreshadowed by the first numbers to come in this morning. The ceremony drew a paltry 18.9 Live+Same Day rating in the metered market households, an all-time low and down 16% from last year’s 22.4 rating, which was a nine-year low. The metered market total, which did not include ratings for the Boston TV market due to the severe weather conditions there, was well below the previous Oscars low ratings point, logged with the 2008 telecast (21.9), hosted by Jon Stewart, when No Country For Old Men won Best Picture.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

Are you an Awards Show Fan?

Message 4 of 4

Will you be glued to the TV tonight to see who will take home the hardware?  Mary and I do not watch much of any of these shows. We will be interested to see how Dunkirk does! But it was one of the few movies we saw last year so we are not much of a judge of best picture! 

24b03fe84cab77617d387798449a7e092aef1a4c6da270e8737c58768df162e4-770x443.jpgd21de82fcde4967e32e41abeed0e63cf66c84fa6f68916bbda417b8df5a074b8-770x443.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.