You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Are you a fashion plate

Message 1 of 10

I love to dress up when I go on a trip or somewhere to have fun!!  But fashion plate??   I need the laughing rodent here!!  I am a country girl wanna be and it shows in my every day attire.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

"... Call me "old-fashioned" if you must but I wish men removed their hats indoors.....".

As a man, totally agree, and I do. I was raised like that. And, it's not even for more formal venues. I will remove my hat just going into a store. I was taught it was rude to have any kind of hat indoors, and I'm sticking to that.

One exception might be in winter when I have a winter wool hat on and I'm quickly going in/out of a store.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

"Well, this is a potentially interesting topic, and it comes from a fella - how about that?!"

I failed to say that for a couple of years I was a men's clothing buy at a department store chain in Wisconsin. While in college I was considered one of the better dress young men on campus. This was a challenge seeing that there were very few places in Wisconsin that carried tall clothing. So at 6'5" it was hard to find clothing in my size at all. However, there was a line of clothing called Campus Clothing and most of the items were design for collage age men.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

@Prosecco6247 - I love (and plan to use) that expression, "Country Club Casual"! Some of my groups meet after work & the members are professionals, where "business casual" is the tone. But I do belong to a group I'd have to describe as "the ladies who lunch", and "country club casual" would be a perfect description for them/me.

I like wearing nice dresses, but the height of my heels has gone down. Last time I wore a comfy pair of mid-heeled shoes to a couple of events in one day, when I went to bed I had a terrible cramp in one foot. Some women force themselves to wear things because their appearance is #1; I'm old enough not to believe that or care what anyone else thinks!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

Tee-hee RT!  

Hmmm...I have studiously avoided buying clothes with a conspicuous logo my whole adult life.  I do buy good quality because I tend to favor a "classic" look and I want my clothes to last through dry cleanings and washings for a season or two...more if I really like the look and feel comfortable wearing the outfit.

There is a 94-year-old "young lady" at my church who favors this approach to clothes-buying as well.  She is far and away the most fashionable woman in the congregation and her wardrobe consists mainly of purchases from "resale" shops.  She sells what she no longer wears and purchases "new" fashions regularly.  This lady is quite wealthy but she's conservative in her spending habits...all across the board.  She lives in a nice home in a good neighborhood...furnished in much the same way as she accumulates her wardrobe. 

The dresses and skirts I used to love are languishing in the closet with my high heel pumps.  I wear nice pants or pantsuits and dressy flats to church, weddings, funerals and formal occasions.  It's not worth a sprained ankle, twisted knee or bone-breaking fall.  Most of my friends and contemporaries follow the same dress code these days.  I may break out a dress or skirt once in a great while.  My days as "mother of the bride" or "mother of the groom" are long over.  Funny...at my last class reunion I saw a lot of those types of dresses being recycled as "evening wear."

"Country club casual" is the acceptable dress code in most venues and only the most staid require a jacket and tie after dark.

A word about gentleman's hats...I was raised with five younger brothers who were taught that hats should be removed when indoors and certainly while dining.  I still feel uncomfortable with men wearing baseball caps and cowboy hats indoors and especially at the table.  I know that they rarely remember they even have them on their heads.  Call me "old-fashioned" if you must but I wish men removed their hats indoors.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

Yes. I'm into fashion. All my sweats are name brand, not generic store brand.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

The yrs when I was working,I dressed in skirts,in summer it was skorts or culottes.

The last time I wore a dress was 5 yrs ago to a friend's son's wedding.I still have my skirts hanging in my closet,can't remember the last time I wore one LOL! When I attend summer worship services,I wear culottes.

The clothing I wear now is for comfort,pants&knit tops,in winter months its turtlenecks/henleys or sweaters. In summer months,tshirts knit tops, shorts/capri pants,walking shoes. Every 6 months I buy new shoes considering all the walking I do. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

ME? A fashion plate?????

MouseLaughing.gif

But yeah I would like to try harder. Between jobs right now and a bit discouraged. But every day perfume and perfect nails. I admire people, especially seniors who add some flair to their look. Like last night there was this older gentleman who had a cowboy hat. Plain black suede but he wore it very well. Fitted jeans too, not those pants some guys wear that makes their butt disappear. Oh and did I mention he smelled wonderful? Okay maybe I was crushing on him a bit.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

@DaveMcK wrote:

Are you a fashion plate or do you dress for comfort?

I used to consider myself nicely dressed; however, now days, it's for comfort!

Once my wife took me to one of the nicest place in Madison, WI across from the state capital for my birthday. It is called the Top Of The Park. When we went in the place was over half full and a lot of the empty tables had Reserved signs on them. As we ordered a drink several  groups came in and I was floored to see that many of the men were dress in casual pants and flannel shirts. Needless to say I was a little floor. 

Well, this is a potentially interesting topic, and it comes from a fella - how about that?!

Guess you felt a little over-dressed when the men in such casual wear showed up, Dave?  In a case like that, at a nice restaurant, on a special occasion, I would rather be dressed up & discover I could have been more casual, than not be dressy enough, to the point where I feel self-conscious/uncomfortable about it.

These days, I always dress for comfort.  There are some good restaurants DH & I do not frequent, in part because we want to dress casually.  In fact, if we had to do much in the way of "dressy", I think we would each need to do some shopping to spruce up our wardrobes.

I am soon to be 68 and have been dressing for comfort for at least the past six years.  While casual & comfortable, I do still try to present an image which seems casually presentable to me, & pleasingly acceptable to DH.  Fortunately, he seems to like my casual wardrobe.

I have certain styles of tops and pants that I favor, and am quite particular about color choices.  And I like my clothing to be loose-fitting.  I am not much into skirts these days, but am not opposed to wearing them; just don't have many in my current wardrobe.  

It has been many years now since I avidly read the fashion/women's magazines in hopes of being at least somewhat of a "fashion plate".  And I have been much happier pursuing my own look, which is most definitely of a casual & comfortable bent, without worrying about what the fashionistas are up to.    Pam 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Are you a fashion plate

Message 10 of 10

Are you a fashion plate or do you dress for comfort?

I used to consider myself nicely dressed; however, now days, it's for comfort!

Once my wife took me to one of the nicest place in Madison, WI across from the state capital for my birthday. It is called the Top Of The Park. When we went in the place was over half full and a lot of the empty tables had Reserved signs on them. As we ordered a drink several  groups came in and I was floored to see that many of the men were dressed in casual pants and flannel shirts. Needless to say I was a little floored. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Replies