Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

RE: Zero Dark Thirty

Message 1 of 19

In Response to RE: Zero Dark Thirty by dogdreams7

Hi Dogdreams,

Thank you for your lovely compliment.  I love Movies like you do and find member comments to be extremely helpful when deciding upon a movie.  As you know I've been away from my Groups for awhile, and I am delighted to be back!   

Dogdreams, please keep up the good work, because you are an asset to any discussion and please know you are greatly appreciated!

Shelby 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 19

I saw this last night and will only comment on it is for my appreciation to the real woman that Maya played in that she has sacrificed so much and will forever remain the unknown Hero. WOW

AL
In San Diego
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 19

In Response to RE: Zero Dark Thirty by Littlemite Yes, I love Manhattan too...and indeed feel fortunate I am living here. (I have lived in Bklyn, New Jersey and New Mexico)  And, since this is a movie forum...it is movie heaven here.  Not only because of the small art theatres but because of the current mayor's policies.  He has drawn many film makers to the city with tax benefits.  So now we have the fun of seeing the city on film.  I just saw Broken City and part of the fun was guessing where the shots were filmed!

Thanks for hosting this site and for you interesting and lively comments.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 19

In Response to RE: Zero Dark Thirty by bunny5580

Hi Bunny,

Concentrating on what they did to us was a good way to deal with the violence in this fine movie!   We're glad to have you aboard and look forward to more of your posts!   Enjoy the rest of the week!

Shelby

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 19

Hi Again Dogdreams,

Thank you for filling me in.  While this has nothing to do with "Zero Dark Thirty" I light up when I talk to someone from the City, because I absolutely love Manhattan, but your cost of living is humongous now! 

I lived first on Long Island, and then Manhattan, bellywhopping down the hills in Central Park, rowing on the lake, and had my Sweet Sixteen Party at  "The Tavern On The Green!". Later, I traveled back to the City, just to dance at Roseland and the Corso!  

My high school years were spent living on the Jersey Shore, and later commuted to the City for work!   Then after getting married, my then-husband and I moved to Florida where I reside to this day, which amazingly has been half my life!   Yes Dogdreams, you are fortunate to live in the City where I felt like walking for miles.  Here I take my car to get from point 'A' to point "B," which sometimesis is only three blocks away!  Shame on me!  ;-)

Talk to you soon and will get back to talking about the movies!  Shelby

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 19

In Response to RE: Zero Dark Thirty by Littlemite  And, don't get me wrong I agree with a lot of what you said too!  This is a very complicated subject and IMHO not suited to postings.  Let's just say that there is a "culture clash" whether we like it or not and our country needs to protect itself.  But then there are more complex issues...like those raised by the movie. I don't know what to call these new style wars in Afganistan, Iraq and so on but on TV the "Talking heads" call them "counterinsurgency wars". 

No they never did build a mosque/community center near "Ground Zero"...thank god...it could have led to riots.  But everything is different since the attack.  Entering places like the Met museum means your purse is searched and no back packs allowed, the courts require jurors to not only pass through a metal dectector but have purse searched and show ID, and on and on.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 19

Hi Dogdreams,

When you stated, "one of the functions of the filmmaker or artist is to express these issues and perhaps stimulate thought" I thought about what you said and ended up agreeing with you.  Thank you for giving me "food for thought!" 

I remember that the Muslims wanted to expand upon their Mosque and build a  Cultural Center near what was "The World Trade Center".  There were large protests at the time.  Did they accomplish it?   I remember thinking there were Muslims who lost their lives on 9/11 too.  They were workers within those buildings.  I also realized that the terrorists are a minority within the Muslim population,  but too many didn't consider this fact!  Their raw emotions took over!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 19

In Response to RE: Zero Dark Thirty by Littlemite

As I said this is a thought provoking movie.  I live about a mile from the attack site of 9/11 (notice I didn't say ground zero...a euphimism I detest since it neutralizes what happened).  Then I worked in a school less than a mile from the attack site with children and their families who were traumatized by what they saw, heard, smelled and experienced that day.  The tactics of terrorists have taken their tole on us in many ways. And beheading and dragging bodies in the street or throwing them out of windows are realities captured on tape.  One of the more famous people forced to humilate and abase himself on camera was Danny Pearl (whoose story was dramatized in the movie "A Mighty Heart").  In real life he was decapitated on camera and the tape used to forment terror activities. Is terror necessary to obtain information or is it better obtained through infiltration and other tactics?  I don't really know.  Personally I think we all need to better understand the economic, social and historical factors in the near and Middle East.  Some of them are in the category of unpleasant realities.

There have been many fine movies that show the effect on soldiers and the rest of us of war (Full Metal Jacket made a big impression on me).  So yes, we have to defend ourselves but let us not forget the toll it takes on individual psyches and on the collective psyche.  I don't think there is an easy answer to this "Shakespearian tragedy" But one of the functions of the filmmaker or artist is to express these issues and perhaps stimulate thought.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 19

In Response to Zero Dark Thirty by lefty5222

We finally got to see this movie last weekend and we're very glad we didn't skip this one.

It was amazing how few people were actually involved in the operation and Maya was so impressive. She figured out the "courier" way of finding Bin Laden and wouldn't give up on it and we're all lucky she had so much determination.

I don't like violence in movies either so whenever there was a violent scene, I concentrated on what they'd done to Americans and that made me feel better.

It was supposed to be pretty true to life and I believe it. We sat next to a retired military gentleman and he seemed pretty impressed so it mustn't have been too fakey. It's a movie that I'd definitely recommend to others.

Adopt an older pet. Help them remember what it feels like to be loved.
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 19

Hi Dogdreams,

You made an excellent point and perhaps I shouldn't criticized the length of those scenes, it was only my distain for torture which was speakiing out!  You are right it did make a statement.  Yet, our enemies are even more brutal in that respect and have even beheaded Americans.. Plus if there is a way to optain information to save American lives, or prevent an attack, then how can I criticize such methods!

Kudos
Views