Take a look at how people age around the world with this AARP special report: A New Age.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

re: YOUR FAVORITE MOVIES and WHY?

Message 31 of 46
In Response to post:

That tribute was wonderful, Shelby, thanks for sharing.  I am fixing to head for bed, in a few minutes.  We have Net Flex, so I am ordering "Out to Sea" for Garlon to see. He will like it, I think.  I may go to the matinee this weekend, with Garlon out of town and see "The Atonement", which is playing.  I am anxious to see how good the screenplay is.  Oh, what is the movie,  "No Country for Old Men" about? That has my interest too.

Gotta go!  Fran

"No Country For Old Men" is about a cold blooded killer, and it's extremely bloody!   I did my best to forget that movie, no matter how lauded it was.  http://movies.nytimes.com/2007/11/09/movies/09coun.html

I just saw magnificence on TV, and it was a JAMES STEWART Movie, called NO HIGHWAY IN THE SKY.  I think it was filmed in England, because most of the cast was British, and James Stewart played the part of a preoccupied, eccentric Scientist, who was absorbed with  his calculations.

He predicted that the tail of the plane would fall off of this Reindeer Plane at a predicted time and found himself on one of those planes.  It also starred GLYNIS JOHN, MARLENE DIETRICH and JACK HAWKINS. . JAMES STEWART'S acting was a mind blower and he was a pleasure to watch!    Shelby

No Highway (1951)

Also Known As:. No Highway in the Sky (USA) ... Movie Connections:. Featured in

Boom! Hollywood's Greatest Disaster Movies (2000) (V) more ...

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 46
In Response to YOUR FAVORITE MOVIES and WHY?
:

Hi Everyone,

I enjoy good acting
which was especially evident in: 12 Angry Men; They Shoot Horses,
Don't They;  Serpico;  Dog Day Afternoon; The
Pawnbroker;  GlenGarry, Glen Ross;  Forrest Gump; 
The Man Who Would Be King;  Million Dollar Baby;  Runaway
Jury;   Flag Of Our Fathers;  Mrs. Henderson
Presents;  Little Voice;  and Calendar Girls;  .

I found that once I started listing my
Movies Favorites in "My Profile", I could go on and
on!   What are your movie Favorites, and why did you
like them?  You might want to even post a link providing
us with more information, provide us with a link
to it's Movie Trailer, or special video of a Movie
Scene found on  "You Tube".  It's up to
you!   

It's recommended that you list one or two at a
time, (not like me)  so we can digest it all, before your next
post on the subject.  Plus it gives us the opportunity to
discuss that Movie!   Shelby

That tribute was wonderful, Shelby, thanks for sharing.  I am fixing to head for bed, in a few minutes.  We have Net Flex, so I am ordering "Out to Sea" for Garlon to see. He will like it, I think.  I may go to the matinee this weekend, with Garlon out of town and see "The Atonement", which is playing.  I am anxious to see how good the screenplay is.  Oh, what is the movie,  "No Country for Old Men" about? That has my interest too.

Gotta go!  Fran

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 46
In Response to post:

"Out to Sea" was hilarious!  Those dance moves Walter Mathieu did sent me into laughing spasms!  I wish he and Jack Lemmon were still here with us, making more movies with that wonderful humor. I heard there were going to do "Grumpiest Old Men" if they hadn't fallen into bad health.  Did you see the first two?  I wonder if Hal saw Out to Sea. We have the Grumpy movies recorded, and not sure about Out to Sea. I will see that one again. The Dennis the Menace movie with Matthieu was really cute, a funny family movie!

I will check back with you in a little while on movies...Take care, Fran

WALTER MATHAU and JACK LEMMON were BRILLIANT
ACTORS!   Here is a TRIBUTE by CHARLIE ROSE to the GREAT
JACK LEMMON, with excerpts from some of the great movies he was
in!   Enjoy the Memories, Shelby

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXVvJoh1ur0" title="Charlie Rose - JACK LEMMON TRIBUTE">Charlie Rose - JACK
LEMMON TRIBUTE

Jack
Lemmon, Actor (excerpts from 2/9/98 and
10/1/93)...charlie_rose tvshow charlie_rose_archive

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 46
In Response to post:

Good morning Shelby, it is Monday already!  Do you watch the Danielle Steele movies that come on Lifetime?  There was I really liked called "Jewels" with Annette O'Toole, that was a 4-hour movie set back in the 1940's up to probably 1980 or so. She was a daughter of well to do parents who married an abusive guy, and she eventually got away from him, then her family moved to Europe, if I remember right, to England. She met and married an army officer, started a family, then because of WWII, everything went haywire. After the war she started a jewelry business, becoming very successful with her husband, etc.  It is really a good, romantic movie, you probably have seen this.  I really like her movies a lot.  The English actor who played her 2nd husband,  was Anthony Andrews, not familiar with him, but oh me, oh my, very nice looking.  "Family Album" with Jacqueline Smith was really good.  I have seen so many of these movies, I can't remember all the titles...Ha!

Well, unless I can get someone to go on a cruise with me, I won't be going.  I miss on a lot living in a country town like this, believe me.  I wish I could get Garlon to move us back to the Houston suburbs, but he won't do it.

I know I will come up with more movies to share later!  See you around the boards!   I wonder when all our pals will come aboard in here.

Take care, Fran

As far as finding someone to come on a cruise with you, you might go into Travel once everyone comes aboard, or go to the old website.  There might be someone else be looking too.

I keep hoping that more will come aboard, but then I remind myself that this is the Beta website.   I'm the only Member  posting in my Group, THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT here,  so when others start registering, hopefully they will find it interesting, like before!  

I didn't see the movie you mentioned on LIFETIME, but I do like ANNETTE O'TOOLE.  Do you remember the LMN movie of the young woman with Scars on her face who took the rap for her boyfriend, and then a Plastic Surgeon, arranged for her release, and operated on her face and she was beautiful. 

The Plastic Surgeon seemed to fall in love with her, but he configured her face to the same as his dead wife, and she couldn't accept that.  She became successful as a Designer and then got even with the man she took the rap for, who was now abusing her Sister.   That too, was a good one!   Shelby

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 46
In Response to post:

Hi Again Fran,

I meant to say,  I love your sparkly BLUE ROSE!!!!  Fran, it will be wonderful if you can see your Sons, but if it's you won't be able to, than a Cruise is an excellent option.  I'd hate to see you disappointed and frustrated! 

As far as Cruises, I love them as they are extremely relaxing as well as fun!   However, I'm fortunate and go with one of my Gentleman Friends!   Now, there are also Cubs, Condominiums, Mobile Home Communities, Dance Studio's and even Church groups that sponsor Cruises, and can put you in touch with another recommended lady!   They too are looking for someone to travel with.   Then you can see if they are compatible!

Fran, I  went on a Dance Cruise, by myself, and did that.   Plus they did provide dance hosts, but they weren't like JACK LEMON. and WALTER MATHAU.  Did you see them in the funny movie OUT TO SEA?  Shelby

"Out to Sea" was hilarious!  Those dance moves Walter Mathieu did sent me into laughing spasms!  I wish he and Jack Lemmon were still here with us, making more movies with that wonderful humor. I heard there were going to do "Grumpiest Old Men" if they hadn't fallen into bad health.  Did you see the first two?  I wonder if Hal saw Out to Sea. We have the Grumpy movies recorded, and not sure about Out to Sea. I will see that one again. The Dennis the Menace movie with Matthieu was really cute, a funny family movie!

I will check back with you in a little while on movies...Take care, Fran

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 46
:

Hi Everyone,

I enjoy good acting

you!   

Good morning Shelby, it is Monday already!  Do you watch the Danielle Steele movies that come on Lifetime?  There was I really liked called "Jewels" with Annette O'Toole, that was a 4-hour movie set back in the 1940's up to probably 1980 or so. She was a daughter of well to do parents who married an abusive guy, and she eventually got away from him, then her family moved to Europe, if I remember right, to England. She met and married an army officer, started a family, then because of WWII, everything went haywire. After the war she started a jewelry business, becoming very successful with her husband, etc.  It is really a good, romantic movie, you probably have seen this.  I really like her movies a lot.  The English actor who played her 2nd husband,  was Anthony Andrews, not familiar with him, but oh me, oh my, very nice looking.  "Family Album" with Jacqueline Smith was really good.  I have seen so many of these movies, I can't remember all the titles...Ha!

Well, unless I can get someone to go on a cruise with me, I won't be going.  I miss on a lot living in a country town like this, believe me.  I wish I could get Garlon to move us back to the Houston suburbs, but he won't do it.

I know I will come up with more movies to share later!  See you around the boards!   I wonder when all our pals will come aboard in here.

Take care, Fran

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 46
In Response to post:

Thanks Shelby, I will have to consider this.  I am really thinking too far in advance, but I need to get away from here for at least a week somewhere.  If I can get myself to Florida, that would really be a good thing for me, if....I can see both of my boys. The weather here is cloudy but in the 60's...hard to believe, but hope it stays that temperature...tired of winter!

The movie...In the Bedroom deals with a couple who's 18-year old son is having a relationship with a older woman (Marisa Tomei) with disasterous results.  I really like Sissy Spacek and Tom Wilkerson, and they really performed well in this one.  Do you watch any Lifetime TV movies? Garlon hates it, so I record what I want, and watch later, but some of those movies with the younger actors are just sorry! 

I am wanting to see "The Atonement" as well. The new movies coming out this year, seem a little better, than in the past.  

Enjoy your Sunday and going to be on "the movie watch" for some good ones!

Love, Fran

Hi Again Fran,

I meant to say,  I love your sparkly BLUE ROSE!!!!  Fran, it will be wonderful if you can see your Sons, but if it's you won't be able to, than a Cruise is an excellent option.  I'd hate to see you disappointed and frustrated! 

As far as Cruises, I love them as they are extremely relaxing as well as fun!   However, I'm fortunate and go with one of my Gentleman Friends!   Now, there are also Cubs, Condominiums, Mobile Home Communities, Dance Studio's and even Church groups that sponsor Cruises, and can put you in touch with another recommended lady!   They too are looking for someone to travel with.   Then you can see if they are compatible!

Fran, I  went on a Dance Cruise, by myself, and did that.   Plus they did provide dance hosts, but they weren't like JACK LEMON. and WALTER MATHAU.  Did you see them in the funny movie OUT TO SEA?  Shelby

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 46
In Response to post:

Thanks Shelby, I will have to consider this.  I am really thinking too far in advance, but I need to get away from here for at least a week somewhere.  If I can get myself to Florida, that would really be a good thing for me, if....I can see both of my boys. The weather here is cloudy but in the 60's...hard to believe, but hope it stays that temperature...tired of winter!

The movie...In the Bedroom deals with a couple who's 18-year old son is having a relationship with a older woman (Marisa Tomei) with disasterous results.  I really like Sissy Spacek and Tom Wilkerson, and they really performed well in this one.  Do you watch any Lifetime TV movies? Garlon hates it, so I record what I want, and watch later, but some of those movies with the younger actors are just sorry! 

I am wanting to see "The Atonement" as well. The new movies coming out this year, seem a little better, than in the past.  

Love, Fran

Hi FRAN,

I will now consider seeing IN THE BEDROOM, due to your excellent recommendation.  Like you, I want to see ATONEMENT.  Actually this is next on my list. 

You asked if I like THE LIFETIME MOVIE NETWORK and I LOVE IT.  It's so addicting, that I can have a lost day, and when that happens NOTHING GETS DONE.  I actually look forward to Commercials, only so I can go to the bathroom, because as soon as one movie is over, it goes into the next, without a long commercial in between.  So their Psychology is extremely well thought out. 

Are there any particular Lifetime Movies, or Actors that you would like to discuss who appear often in Lifetime movies?  Shelby

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 46
:

Hi Everyone,

I enjoy good acting

you!   

Love, Fran

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 46
In Response to post:

Hi Shelby, at least you don' t have a "fuddy duddy" around that can't go places far off. Sometimes I feel like I am stuck in the muck.  Oh, did you see "In the Bedroom" with Sissy Spacek and Tom Wilkerson? They really did a good job in that one.  So many movies, so little time.  One more which isn't a movie question, is it safe for a woman to go on a cruise alone?  I may be doing that after I see my kids, and if my luck holds.  I should be able to get with a group of ladies thru a travel agency, maybe.  Any tips would be helpful!  Oops, gotta run...Talk to you later....Fran

Hi Fran,

I didn't see "IN THE BEDROOM" with SISSY SPACEK and TOM WILKERSON.  Please tell me more about it???   Yes, it is safe to go on a Cruise alone.  It's just that you probably get caught paying for the whole Cabin yourself, which is twice as much. 

Possibly you can go with a Friend, or someone from your Church, and that will save you money!   As this website gets busier, you might want to check in the TRAVEL Discussions, but it's important to get to know someone well, especially before traveling with them,   Shelby

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users