Take control of your brain health as you age. Visit Staying Sharp — it's free for AARP members.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

re: Which Movie do you recommend our renting next?

Message 31 of 42
In Response to post:

Hi Heidi,

Moonstruck was a good movie, and another movie which I've watched more than five times is "Mrs Doubtfire", with Robin Williams and Sally Field.  Did you also like this movie?    Shelby

Hello Shelby,

Yes I like Mrs Doubtfire but I only saw it once  www.aarp.org/community/editor/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/regular_smile.gif" />.  I saw an absolutely wonderful movie from Netflix this weekend. "  The Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant", an Australian movie is the story of a young woman shipped to the continent when it is first starting out as a penal colony.  It has a little something for everyone: adventure, romance,  a bit of history.   

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 42
In Response to post:

HI  Angelheart,

Please expand and tell us more about "Under the Lighhouse Dancing!   Thanking you in advance!  Shelby

Hi Shelby...

I deliberately omitted the info...didn't want to give away too much ..but the story centers around 3 middle aged couples who are good friends and get together at a lovely beach area (Mexico I think)...while there one of the couples decides to get married and everyone is excited except that one of the women has a secret...and that's when the movie gets good...if I say more I will give away too much of the storyline...but trust me...its good and will touch your heart...God Bless

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 42
In Response to post:

I rented an oldie someone mentioned in a conversation last week and enjoyed the heck out of it... "Space Cowboys" with Clint Eastwood, Tommy Lee Jones, Donald Sutherland and James Garner.  Anybody remember that one?  It's about some seniors who were overlooked in their prime for the NASA space program but were called back in because they were the only ones who could fix a satellite from their era that is failing.  Still a cool movie.  As a computer geek in the Navy in the 1960's, this one appealed to me.  Besides, I still think these guys are hotties.

Hi Joan, and a BIG WELCOME,

Yes, I remember
"Space Cowboys",   but I did forget what the
title of that film was, until you described it.   You're
right it was excellent, and I'm soooo glad you mentioned
it.  

Of course I've
always loved James Garner, and especially remember him starring in
VICTOR/VICTORIA with Julie Andrews and Robert Preston.  
In fact the whole cast were terrific.

Joan, I remember
belly laughing at a certain point which is rare for
me!   Have a wonderful weekend, and keep posting about
the movies that you enjoy!   Shelby

www.imdb.com/title/tt0084865/">

Victor Victoria (1982)

Contains cast and crew details,
trivia, quotes, plot summary, and links to external review sites.

www.google.com/url?q=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084865/fullcredits&ei=WGjaS6SEDMP48AbCxbSrAg&sa=X&...">
Full cast and crew

-

www.google.com/url?q=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084865/plotsummary&ei=WGjaS6SEDMP48AbCxbSrAg&sa=X&...">
Plot Summary

-

www.google.com/url?q=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084865/quotes&ei=WGjaS6SEDMP48AbCxbSrAg&sa=X&oi=on...">
Memorable quotes

www.imdb.com/title/tt0084865/">
www.imdb.com/title/tt0084865/

-

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 42
In Response to post:

I enjoyed 2012 very exciting, also there're always the classic I will recieve Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf soon which is a favorite of mines  I rent with netflex

Hi Pauleto and again Welcome,

Thank you for your recommendation of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf", for it was excellent.   Elizabeth Taylor's Oscar for this film was right on target. 

I also loved Elizabeth Taylor in "Butterfield 8" and "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof' and "Raintree County". 

It's a shame that most younger people haven't seen her films, for besides being beautiful she was an excellent actress!    Shelby

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 42
In Response to post:

I am totally full of movies:

1. Departures- Japan

I totally loved this movie...you can get on Netflix instant play

2. Cloud 9 - foriegn

About a 60 somethings woman's love affair

3. Cherry Blossoms - Foriegn

Very impressive with beautiful scenery

4. Lonely Bones

5.  Warm Water under a Red Bridge--foriegn

Loved the story line and scenery

Hi Karean,

Thank you for your
excelent recommendations.  You are totally full of movies,
and I will certainly look into these!   I see you enjoy
foreign films, and while you might have seen La Strada years ago,
it still remains one of my favorites!   Have
a lovely weekend and we'll talk again soon!   Shelby

www.imdb.com/title/tt0047528/">

La strada (1954)

Directed by
Federico Fellini. With Anthony Quinn, Giulietta Masina, Richard
Basehart. A carefree girl is sold to a traveling entertainer, ...

www.imdb.com/title/tt0047528/ -

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 42
In Response to post:

Two oldies but goodies...both serious are Man on Fire (the remake with denzel Washington) and Taken.If you are not in a serious mood and just want to be entertained....The Maiden Heist and The Ugly Truth were both fun.

Hi Oldieone and Welcome,

Thank you for those excellent recommendations!   I do enjoy movies with substance,and I'm sure I will like "Taken" because I love Liam Neeson's acting.

I'm also sure to like "Man On Fire" because I also think Denzel Washington is a terrific actor too..    In fact one of our members  wants me to see "The Book of Eli" which I haven't rented yet.

Did you see "The Taking of Pelum 1 2 3?  This too is a remake with Denzel Washingon, and was excellent.  I don't feel one should compare when watching remakes, instead judge a film based on it's own merits!

I'll leave the fun movies to some of our other members.   However there are times I like those as well, and will keep your other two recommendations in mind!    

Please keep your recommendations coming in as they are most welcome and have a lovely weekend!   Shelby

www.imdb.com/title/tt1111422/">The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (2009)    Directed by Tony Scott. With Denzel Washington, John Travolta, Luis Guzmán. Armed men hijack a New York City subway train, holding the passengers hostage in ... www.imdb.com/title/tt1111422/

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 42
In Response to post:

Two oldies but goodies...both serious are Man on Fire (the remake with denzel Washington) and Taken.If you are not in a serious mood and just want to be entertained....The Maiden Heist and The Ugly Truth were both fun.

Just thinking Liam Neeson....kind of weak in his last two releases (the man lost his wife, so I can understand), but three outstanding films of his come to mind:

Schindler's List

Michael Collins

Rob Roy

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 42
In Response to Which Movie do you recommend our renting next?:

Hi Everyone and Welcome,

While we all have different tastes in movies, we should still have a category for good movies to rent, and then let's discuss those films!  

In fact, why don't you start the ball rolling with terrific flims which you have rented recently, or even in the past???   Shelby 

I enjoyed the  movie  "Closing The Ring"  wonderful story set in  1940  during  ww2

I also liked "Shadow Lands"  with Anthony Hopkins

Another favorite is  "Sliding Doors"   with Gwenth Paltrow.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 42
In Response to post:

Good Topic, and a chance to pick other’s brains. Here are my suggestions, all out on DVD now:

1.    An Education – Still at the top of my list from last year’s films

2.   The Lovely Bones – unsettling, but well told murder story from the victim’s point of view. Reminiscent at times of “What Dreams May Come.”

3.   Broken Embraces – Pedro Almodovar tells a tale of revenge, love and betrayal as a flashback

4.   The Painted Veil – Edward Norton & Naomi Watts are the estranged husband and wife in this adaptation of Somerset Maughm’s early 20th century story set in China.

5.   Serious Moonlight – a hysterical farce with Meg Ryan and Timothy Hutton

6 .   2010: The Odyssey Continues – an oldie, but still my favorite science fiction film. See Helen Mirren as a Russian, and Roy Scheider and Keir Dullea fill in the gaps that left you wondering at the end of 2001.

If you want, ask for more. Like Jimmy Durante said, “I got a million of ‘em”

Hello Baron,

I saw the Painted  Veil this year, very good.  I will have to check out your other recommendations as I have not had  a good Netflix pick in  quite a while.  Do keep 'em coming, I do love your taste in movies. I am getting The Lovely Bones for this weekend.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 42
In Response to Which Movie do you recommend our renting next?:

Hi Everyone and Welcome,

While we all have different tastes in movies, we should still have a category for good movies to rent, and then let's discuss those films!  

In fact, why don't you start the ball rolling with terrific flims which you have rented recently, or even in the past???   Shelby 

Hi Shelby,

Long time no see www.aarp.org/community/editor/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/regular_smile.gif" />.   One of my all time favorites is Moonstruck with Cher & Nicolas Cage.  Its one of those feel good movies.  I have a copy so that when I am blue I can watch it.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views