Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: re: Which Movie do you recommend our renting next?

Message 21 of 42

In Response to re: Which Movie do you recommend our renting next? by DonandJudy

I agree-The Blind Side was way better than I expected-good feeling yet not too mushy...well-balanced. We saw some older ones the other night on netflix....one was called The Vanishing.....pretty scary....the other one I will have to check on its title. It was about a man and his wife who had broken down in the desert and the wife gets stolen on the pretense of getting picked up by a truck driver and going to phone for help (I mentioned it was older...no cell phones!)

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Which Movie do you recommend our renting next?

Message 22 of 42

SHUTTER ISLAND

Just saw this..  I have been looking forward to it.. and I have to say it was disappointing in most respects.  The plot was confusing and messy  and just not a good movie IMHO.

Diane

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 42

In Response to Which Movie do you recommend our renting next? by Littlemite

I am thinking of renting two: "It's complicated" and "Julie and Julia".... what I am looking for is nothing too lovey dovey, but funny and interesting!

Any comments on either or both of these, Please?

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 42

In Response to re: Which Movie do you recommend our renting next? by Pauleto6

Hi, HOw did you like "Who's Afraid of V W?"

It was such a good movie, though pretty rough language !  I remember only bits and parts of it, but it impressed me as being very realistic and very powerful.

Just wondering.

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 42

In Response to Which Movie do you recommend our renting next? by Littlemite

Seducing Dr Lewis is a Canadian movie with subtitles.  I usually dont mind subtitles for the more serious type of movies. I almost skipped this one because I knew it was a light hearted comedy and I did not think it worthwhile to read the subtitles. I am so glad I decided to give it a shot!  Very likable movie reminiscent of Waking Ned Devine.    

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 42

In Response to re: Which Movie do you recommend our renting next? by waterlover

Thanks for that recommendation that I remember Georgia Okeefe from my visit to New Mexico. 

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 42

In Response to re: Which Movie do you recommend our renting next? by ruraljoan

Hi Joan,  You have certainly lead an interesting life.  I think perceptions about the South have changed in the last 20 years or so.  I have loved this beautiful part of the country since my first visit when I was 20 years old, to a much smaller than now Jackson, Ms.  I fell in love with the trees!  I moved to Texas shortly thereafter, then to Georgia 20 years later.  

Really sad to think of the Gulf right now! 

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

re: Which Movie do you recommend our renting next?

Message 28 of 42
In Response to Which Movie do you recommend our renting next?:

Hi Everyone and Welcome,

While we all have different tastes in movies, we should still have a category for good movies to rent, and then let's discuss those films!  

In fact, why don't you start the ball rolling with terrific flims which you have rented recently, or even in the past???   Shelby 

I just finished watching "Georgia O'Keeffe"  starring Joan Allen and Jeremy Irons.  It's a 2009 Golden Globe nominated film and deservedly so.  It tells the story of her very interesting relationship with her lover and eventual husband, Alfred Steiglitz, as well as the development of her art.  I loved this film, but then, I'm interested in art and artists.  Both actors do a fine job.  I was captivated.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 42
In Response to post:

Hi Joan,

Moonstruck reminded me of growing up in Chicago in an Italian neighborhood.  It was a happy time in my life and I have fond memories.  

I have never read the Mrs Pollifax series but have ordered several from the library.  I definitely pay attention to recommendations of books and movies from someone who has had wild adventures all over the world  www.aarp.org/community/editor/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/wink_smile.gif" />  on top of being a bookworm.  Sounds like it was wonderful.  My travels have been limited and tame.  

You mentioned that Moonstruck reminded you of growing up in an Italian neighborhood.  The movie that reminds me of my youth is "Forest Gump" as I grew up in Alabama and joined the Navy after high school in the sixties because I wanted to be a computer nerd -- both unheard of aspirations for a young southern lady.  It was the first time I had left the South, first airplane ride, first time aboard a Grayhound bus, first time in a taxi cab, etc.  I was treated like a moron because I talked funny but was considered an idiot savant because I was second in my computer classes, all male, in the Navy.  I served in Washington D.C. during the Vietnam era and President Johnson's time so I saw some of  the same events that are in that movie and experienced some of the race riot events at home before I left for the service.  When I first saw Forest Gump I thought somebody had made a movie of my life except I didn't end up shrimping in the gulf or getting rich.  Haha

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 42
In Response to post:

Thanks for reminding me about Moonstruck.  I haven't seen that one in years and it was a great chick flick.  Two of my all time favorite romantic comedies are "Romancing the Stone" with Michael Douglas (what a hunk) and Kathleen Turner as well as an oldie from 1984 called "American Dreamer" with Tom Conti and JoBeth Williams. 

In Romancing the Stone, Kathleen plays a timid woman who lives alone with her cat and writes turgid romantic adventure stories until her adventurous sister pulls her into an international plot that requires her to travel to South America to try and save her life.  This one reminds me of my first husband who pulled me, timid bookworm, into wild adventures all over the world.  I had never been camping in my life until I married him or traveled anywhere outside the south.

The other, American Dreamer, is about an ordinary housewife who loves to read romantic adventure stories and enters a contest at her local grocery store to write a brief piece in the style of her favorite author.  She wins and is sent to Paris to have a celebratory lunch with the author.  On the way to the luncheon, her purse is stolen and she is hit by a car.  When she awakens she thinks she is the international spy character from the books and the adventure begins. 

I wish somebody would make a movie of my favorite mystery series now -- Mrs. Pollifax, a 60 something woman who is bored to tears with life and wants to be a spy.  Angela Lansbury tried it once with a made-for-tv movie that combined several plots back in the 1980's but I can't find it on Netflix.

Hi Joan,

Moonstruck reminded me of growing up in Chicago in an Italian neighborhood.  It was a happy time in my life and I have fond memories.  

I have never read the Mrs Pollifax series but have ordered several from the library.  I definitely pay attention to recommendations of books and movies from someone who has had wild adventures all over the world  www.aarp.org/community/editor/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/wink_smile.gif" />  on top of being a bookworm.  Sounds like it was wonderful.  My travels have been limited and tame.  

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views