With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Which Movie do you recommend our renting next?

Message 1 of 42

Unconditional Love has a good mixture of drama and comedy and goofiness with unuaual characters.

We "do" dinner and a movie about 4 times over the summer, projecting movies on the garage door while eating our potluck supper.  We use closed captioning and it has helped a lot with catching some of themumbled dialogue that seems to occur in almost every movie.  We even watch through "Special Features" and "Director's Comments."  

Our other picks have been Calendar Girls, Grand Torino, Slum Dog Millionaire (no, we did not all go out and see it when it was popular!), St. Vincent, and Ever After.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

RE: Which Movie do you recommend our renting next?

Message 2 of 42

We watched Arbitrage on DVD last night.  It kept us up till midnight to see in the New Year!  The storyline was good, Richard Gere played a terrific role and was nominated for a Golden Globe.  I always enjoy seeing Richard Gere and feel he brings something special to all his roles.  Susan Sarandon looks great!  And - you can get it on Redbox - what a deal!  Let us hear what you think about it after you view it.  

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Re: Which Movie do you recommend our renting next?

Message 3 of 42

In Response to Re: Which Movie do you recommend our renting next? by nyadrn

I was in the same boat...expecting Shutter Island to be much better than it was. Bought into the premise, but after a while it was too convoluted and came to a predictable end. Mr. Scorsese missed the mark on this one.

On the other hand, am looking forward to DiCaprio's new film Inception. Another mind bender about a team of agents that infiltrate the dreams of others.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Re: re: Which Movie do you recommend our renting next?

Message 4 of 42

In Response to Re: re: Which Movie do you recommend our renting next? by geekGoddess1

Was never a big fan of the TV show, so will probably wait for A-Team to hit netflix. Feel bad for Liam Neeson and the rash of poor films he's been in lately....Clash of the Titans, Taken, Chloe....a real waste of a talented actor. But do understand given the sudden loss of his wife.

On that note, I rewatched The Handmaid's Tale last night with Natasha Richardson. A wonderful allegorical film, on the lines of Children of Men.

And since we had this discussion in the other movie group before the transition, I still think An Education was a better film than Hurt Locker. It's warmth outshone everything on the screen last year.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 42

In Response to Re: Which Movie do you recommend our renting next? by johnnya1935

I rented Inkheart a few weeks back, and the craziest thing happened...I started recognizing the backgrounds. After about a half hour realized it was filmed in Denver...my fair city...one of few movies actually shot here.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 42

In Response to Which Movie do you recommend our renting next? by Littlemite

yes...BLIND SIDE was good...as was CRAZY HEART

if you like action try the BOURNE trilogy...i read all the books and saw the movies and they were great

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 42

For your next rental I recommend Inkheart. This is a great fantasy movie that involves writing and rewriting a story. The viewer is given a view of life of the author(s) of the story and the effect of rewriting on the characters involved. Of course the story the author is writing come to life and each change affects the main characters. (I know this may sound lame, but believe me, Inkheart is truly a story that pick you up and keeps you up until the end of he movie

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Terrible website now!

Message 8 of 42

In Response to Terrible website now! by gina333

Gina, when you click on to read further, you will read the members entire post.  While I know you care for the new website, once you start corresponding with other members and establishing your own new discussions, I feel you'll grow more comfortable with the website.  I truly hope so, because I know your opinions will be most valued here.    Shelby

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Terrible website now!

Message 9 of 42

I cannot continue reading this website since they made the changes. It takes too much time to go through the posts and they are not laid out in proper paragraphs-may times one word on a line-it is ridiculous. What is the purpose of the change if it makes it so poor?

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 42

In Response to Re: Which Movie do you recommend our renting next? by JanieB

Both are great movies.  It's Complicated was very funny and I enjoyed Julie and Julia.  I especially liked Stanley Tucci as Julia Childs husband.  I think you will enjoy both.  Neither is too lovey dovey.

Janese

Kudos
Views