Live Your Best Life With Rewards for Good. Start Earning Reward Points Now. Get Started Now!

Gold Conversationalist

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue?

Message 81 of 222
I have not seen Mid August Lunch, only read about it.
Report Inappropriate Content
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 82 of 222

FilmNoter wrote:
LaDolce Vita, if you liked O'Horten, maybe try one called Schultze Gets the Blues, or works by Aki Kaurismaki.

Yes, I will like it, I put it on my list!  

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? The Salt of Life

Message 83 of 222

The Salt of Life  was a light and funny film. Part of its charm is that the cultural perceptions of life, beauty and happiness are somewhat different from ours here in the US.  I love Gianni Di Gregorio for his expressive face.   His mother is in a class by herself. I would like to see more of his work.

Filmnoter, did you enjoy Mid August Lunch?

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Gold Conversationalist

Message 84 of 222
LaDolce Vita, if you liked O'Horten, maybe try one called Schultze Gets the Blues, or works by Aki Kaurismaki.

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? O'Horten

Message 85 of 222

I have been catching up on my foreign movie list at Netflix but most of them have been depressing and not worth mentioning.  O'Horten, a Norwegian movie  had its moments and I liked the ending.  There were a lot of boring moments too but on the whole I liked the movie.  

Your new recommendations soud good Filmnoter, especially Burial Society.  I have added the DVDs to my list.  

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Gold Conversationalist

Message 86 of 222

Here are a few more suggestions.  

These first few DVD only options on Netflix.

7 Boxes—Paraguayan action/suspense movie.  A teen working as a courier in an outdoor market is paid to cart some boxes around to hide them from the authorities.  He gets more than he bargains for.

Mr. Thank You—A gentle, early Japanese talkie, depicting the ride on the bus of Ari-gato san.

Burial Society—A meek Jewish accountant joins a burial society after he goes on the lam from the mob.

Boy A—A teen ex-con returns to society and is mentored by his caseworker.  Stars Andrew Garfield and Peter Mullan.

Citizen X—This HBO movie depicts the search for what is probably Russia’s first documented serial killer, in the 1980s-90s.  The film was mae in 1995 so the story was still rather fresh news.  Stars Stephen Rea and Donald Sutherland, as well as other well known British actors.

These below are streaming options on Netflix, all tv/web series.

The Guild—A comedy web series created by and starring Felicia Day.  She plays a role playing game addict with a group of similar misfits, who go from interacting online to meeting in person.

A Young Doctor’s Notebook—A Russian doctor in the 1930s looks back on the start of his career in an isolated clinic in the 1910s.  The doctor is played by Jon Hamm and Daniel Radcliffe.

Better Off Ted—Irreverant workplace comedy about employees at a R&D firm.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 87 of 222
I've seen all three. I did like Sweet Land. I like movies about women with gumption. To wit, maybe you might also like Heartland, starring Rip Torn and Conchata Ferrell, or the Hallmark movies adapted from the kid's book Sarah Plain and Tall and its sequels, starring Glenn Close and Christopher Walken.

Re Nebraska it was a bit hit and miss. Though they were funny, the extended family characters were too much of a caricature. Although I thought Will Forte was a decent dramatic actor, he can't hold a candle to Bruce Dern.

Re Osage, it was mostly a turnoff due to all the negative characters. There were some elements I liked, such as the housekeeper who could still have sympathy for this dysfunctional family, but Meryl's character needed to be more sympathetic. But I imagine there are many families like this for real. I think this probably works better as a play and the characters would come off more funny and less miserable.

Message 88 of 222

Hi Filmnoter, I tend to put the name of the movie I am referring to into the title.  I was referring to "Nebraska" and "Sweet Land" in my last 2 posts.    Really loved both.  Have you seen these and what did you think?

I also saw "Osage County" but did not love it.  I do love Meryl Streep though and it was not a bad movie but it missed  somewhere!  

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Gold Conversationalist

Message 89 of 222
Hey, LaDolceVita, what movies are you referring to in your last two comments?

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? Sweet Land

Message 90 of 222

I like this one very much also, I am partial to a rural theme and movies about love of the land.  Based on a short story by Will Weaver it was touching and funny.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors