Join the Turning Your Passion into Profit Town Hall on Wednesday at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue?

Message 71 of 220

Some good recommendations Filmnoter that interest me.  I must add what I can to my Netflix queue.  

I saw Jayne Mansfield's Car last night.  I enjoyed the movie while it was playing but there is no "take away".   Nothing memorable about the movie in other words.  Not much of a story line either, but lots of famous actors.  Ho hum.  I have seen many hohums this year.  Philomena was the exception.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Report Inappropriate Content
Gold Conversationalist

Message 72 of 220
Bad Words is actor Jason Bateman's first directing effort. He also stars as a man who infiltrates spelling bees meant for kids. He bonds with one of the students in a father/son relationship. Adult costars don't have very big roles, but the kid is a winsome character. I think Bateman did a good job as a first time director.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 73 of 220
Not sure when this will be coming to netflix, but Stranger by the Lake is a French character study. A gay man trolls for sexual encounters at a nude beach frequented by other gay men with the same agenda. He pursues a man despite witnessing a crime about him. Also on the beach is a hetero man who claims he is just there to enjoy the sun. The "stranger" in the title can refer to any of these men.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 74 of 220
The Polish film Ida will be out in a month. A young Catholic novitiate is encouraged to meet her aunt before finally taking the vow for good. The girl finds out she is in fact a Jew, and the family's painful history as Poles during WW2.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 75 of 220
Locke is coming out on dvd soon. It was marketed I think as a thriller, a la Speed, but it is not that at all. Tom Hardy is the only onscreen actor and all the action takes place as he drives a car. But don't think it is boring, this is definitely an actor's movie.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 76 of 220
Although a bit hit and miss, and sometimes the special effects are of its time, I've been watching the Twilight Zone TV show from 1985 on dvd from Netflix. The strongest elements are casting and the roster of well known genre writers and directors.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 77 of 220
Kolchak the Night Stalker is avail for online streaming.

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? Philomena

Message 78 of 220

I expected to enjoy Philomena and I did.   I was not at all familiar with the story of Michael Hess so I found the plot  very interesting.  The acting was terrific and the dialogue very good.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Gold Conversationalist

Message 79 of 220
I have not seen Mid August Lunch, only read about it.

Message 80 of 220

FilmNoter wrote:
LaDolce Vita, if you liked O'Horten, maybe try one called Schultze Gets the Blues, or works by Aki Kaurismaki.

Yes, I will like it, I put it on my list!  

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar