Join the Turning Your Passion into Profit Town Hall on Wednesday at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? The Imitation Game

Message 51 of 220

Goodness, I have not posted here in over 2 months.  I have not seen anything worth mentioning until "The Imitation Game", a movie based on the book Alan Turing: The Enigma.   I knew a bit about the Turing machine and this movie was quite educational for me.  Of course it took some liberties with the truth but it was great entertainment also.  One of those I would not mind watching again to figure out exactly what went on in the ending.  So much was going on at once that I got a bit lost.  I will try reading the book also.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Report Inappropriate Content
Gold Conversationalist

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue?

Message 52 of 220
I agree The Double Hour kept me guessing for most of the movie, and the lead couple was realistic as a romantic couple. Good pick, LaDolceVita!

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? The Double Hour

Message 53 of 220

The Double Hour is an Italian movie, a mystery which had me enthralled through most of the movie. Very sensitively done, I highly recommend it.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: 14 - Diaries of the Great War > Netflix recommendation

Message 54 of 220

"....Frances, I could not find this on Netflix.  Is it part of their streaming service?...".

It's called "The Great War Diary" and is streaming.  I don't understand it, but it has different titles. If you go into Netflix, streaming, you'll find this name. But then, they show a pic of the DVD and it has "Diaries of the Great War". Then, if you search, you'll find the original title with the "14" in it, on IMDB.  I don't get it, but there it is............... 

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Re: 14 - Diaries of the Great War > Netflix recommendation

Message 55 of 220

Sparkel18 wrote:

I recently watched an interesting documentary on NetFlix called 14 - Diaries of the Great War.

It was originally shown on BBC in 2014 in 8 segments. The individual episodes tell the story of the first World War as seen through the eyes of soldiers, children, housewives, factory workers, and volunteers—with fourteen main characters who speak through their diaries. This is a crazy quilt of enacted stories based on these diaries, woven together with pieces of actual war footage and animation. I found it to be a very emotional depiction of this historical era as well as very informative.

Frances

Starimage.jpgSparkel18

Frances, I could not find this on Netflix.  Is it part of their streaming service? 

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? $5 a day

Message 56 of 220

An Indie film from 2008 with Christopher Walken.  It really made me laugh and the acting was great.  I found myself really liking all the characters in this movie.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Recognized Social Butterfly

14 - Diaries of the Great War > Netflix recommendation

Message 57 of 220

I recently watched an interesting documentary on NetFlix called 14 - Diaries of the Great War.

It was originally shown on BBC in 2014 in 8 segments. The individual episodes tell the story of the first World War as seen through the eyes of soldiers, children, housewives, factory workers, and volunteers—with fourteen main characters who speak through their diaries. This is a crazy quilt of enacted stories based on these diaries, woven together with pieces of actual war footage and animation. I found it to be a very emotional depiction of this historical era as well as very informative.

Graphically it was well done. A photo was shown of the actual diary’s author, which dissolved into a photo of the actor who was portraying this person in the documentary. You had a real sense of walking into the personal lives of these people, many of whom became the lone survivors of battles, illness, or other catastrophes.

One young girl, the daughter of a Cossack colonel, decided to follow her father into the war and became a child soldier at the age of 14. She was wounded in battle and narrowly escaped having her leg amputated. A year later she awoke from a horrific battle to find herself partially buried in rubble with only her head and right arm above ground. Another time she narrowly avoided being executed when her troop was captured. She was given the number 54 and all soldiers through 53 had been shot by a firing squad when fighting engulfed the camp, leaving her the only person alive. After the war she spent time in a mental hospital, was released and emigrated to the U.S. where she lived to age 84.

Well worth watching.

Frances

Starimage.jpgSparkel18

Gold Conversationalist

Message 58 of 220

Happy New Year film friends!  Some Netflix suggestions are on this list:

http://www.timeout.com/chicago/film/the-100-best-movies-now-on-netflix

Gold Conversationalist

Message 59 of 220
So many movies, so little time! :-)

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? Gone Baby Gone

Message 60 of 220

Most of you movie lovers probably have already seen the above movie made in 2007.    I am a bit late to the party.  A long crime movie  with all kinds of twists and turns.  I gave it 4 stars in myr Netflix review. 

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar