Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What Do You Think is the Most Romantic Movie Ever?

Social Butterfly

What Do You Think is the Most Romantic Movie Ever?

I know it's the day after Valentines but what the heck. What movie do you feel is the perfect romance and why? I would have to say "Gone With the Wind". Funny because it was my mother's favorite too. I remember as a teen she took me to see it for the first time. Of course it didn't really do too much for me then. She also passed the book on to me. That was much better and after a few years I saw the movie again and now I understood the characters.

Pity crushing on Leslie Howard and Clark Gable when they've been gone for so long. But Clark Gable stood the test of time. Even compared to sex symbols of the present day...Clark as Rhett Butler, MWWWRRRROWWR. The thing I love about this movie besides the stars is it was the way great movies used to be. No shades of gray or people being crazed weasels. They left things to the audiences imagination.

Like when Rhett hauls Scarlett up that staircase, you just know the house was a rockin', they didn't have to be graphic. Scarlett all happy the next morning said it all. Yes the portrayal of blacks in this movie is an abomination...But just concentrating on Rhett and Scarlett...Oh and IMHO he does ultimately go back to her. They knew each other too well. He probably goes to town and Belle Watling talks him into going home.

So whats your favorite romance?

Contributor

Play Misty For ME! It was the first movie my wife and I saw together! That was 43 years ago!! Randy and Mary Caldwell
Contributor

The Notebook

Contributor

Notebook
Contributor

I scanned some of the answers and came to the conclusion that romance is dead! My idea of the most romantic movie is Casablanca - the real old one - in black and white...remember that?  The second is The Notebook, the original one.

Contributor

I agree about " Gone With The Wind ", movie and book. It took from age 11(precocious) to age 18(?) to "get" the staircase scene. I was more concerned with Bonnie Blue & her pony, and why everyone was hungry, and those great costumes. Distracted me. In my 20's, I discovered " Random Harvest", the great British film, with Greer Garson. Vivian Leigh paled beside her. Ronald Colman was Gable with savoir-faire. The one I turn to more often, hands down; "Random Harvest", and I am a Savannah belle.
0 Kudos
Contributor

The Notebook
0 Kudos
Contributor

The Notebook
0 Kudos
Contributor

Despair, Lust, Love, gut wrenching, regret ... it does not get much better than Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep in "Bridges of Madison County". If you have not seen it, do.

Contributor

I think one of the most romantic movies was 1978, Heaven Can Wait, with Warren Beatty and Julie Christie.  

Contributor

Gone With the Wind
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

"When Harry me Sally. I loved this movie. I also liked The Apartment with Jack Lemmon and Shirley McLain. It still holds up well.
Periodic Contributor

The Way We Were with Barbra Streisand & Robert Redford

Contributor

An affair to remember........Best ever!

Regular Contributor

I have to go with Ghost.  As many times as I've seen it (and is has been many, many) I always cry at the end.  And when they dance in the apt when he's using Whoopie Goldbergs body.  So sad at the end.

Contributor

I can think of nothing better than Robert Redford and Meryl Streep in "Out of Africa". The story, characters, scenery and music were a combo of genius.

Romance movies are hard to navigate.  Gone With The Wind is wonderful, but the ending is too sad.  Love Actually is a sweet love story (stories) and the ending makes me smile.  And even though it isn't really one of my favorites, I think The Notebook is pretty high on the list.  I guess it depends if I want happy love or heart-wrenching love.

Contributor

I think 'The Lake House' with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock has to be the most

romantic movie (creative, too!!) ever!

Regular Contributor

The Notebook

Periodic Contributor

"Somewhere In Time"  (1980)   Hands Down. A Chicago playwright uses self-hypnosis to find the actress whose vintage portrait hangs in a grand hotel. Stars: Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour.

Notebook..a love that lasts,a lifetime
Contributor

Casablanca , Bogart and Bergman
Periodic Contributor

The ONLY really romantic movie...1957 "An Affair to Remember" with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr....ask any woman of a certain age in the USA...this is the ONE!
Regular Contributor

Even the one before with Charles  Boyer and Irene Dunn was almost as good but Boyer held back so much it didn't have as much impact as Deborah Kerr had with Cary Grant. I can't think of the title but Ronald Colman and Greer Garson excelled in the one where Colman was the Major from World War One who walked out of the sanatorium,became a politician, Garson was his secretary, and he got his memory back when he wandered back to the cottage they had lived in before.

philo j
Contributor

Hands down "The Notebook"
Contributor

Somewhere in Time: Christopher Reeve & Jane Seymour
Contributor

Yes, I agree--definitely one of the top romantic movies!

love with the proper stranger- very hard to get real classic with Steve Mc queen

First-splendor in the grass then love with the proper stranger - both stared Natalie wood. Then the problem with Henry, Working girl both with Harrison Ford. 50 first dates, the Titanic.
Periodic Contributor

Sleepless in Seattle

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP