Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What Do You Think is the Most Romantic Movie Ever?

Social Butterfly

What Do You Think is the Most Romantic Movie Ever?

I know it's the day after Valentines but what the heck. What movie do you feel is the perfect romance and why? I would have to say "Gone With the Wind". Funny because it was my mother's favorite too. I remember as a teen she took me to see it for the first time. Of course it didn't really do too much for me then. She also passed the book on to me. That was much better and after a few years I saw the movie again and now I understood the characters.

Pity crushing on Leslie Howard and Clark Gable when they've been gone for so long. But Clark Gable stood the test of time. Even compared to sex symbols of the present day...Clark as Rhett Butler, MWWWRRRROWWR. The thing I love about this movie besides the stars is it was the way great movies used to be. No shades of gray or people being crazed weasels. They left things to the audiences imagination.

Like when Rhett hauls Scarlett up that staircase, you just know the house was a rockin', they didn't have to be graphic. Scarlett all happy the next morning said it all. Yes the portrayal of blacks in this movie is an abomination...But just concentrating on Rhett and Scarlett...Oh and IMHO he does ultimately go back to her. They knew each other too well. He probably goes to town and Belle Watling talks him into going home.

So whats your favorite romance?

Periodic Contributor

An affair to remember. Cary Grant Deborah Kerr 1957. Without it there would be no Sleepless in Seattle. 

Periodic Contributor

First thing that came into my head was Ghost - Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore. The scene with the pottery wheel .... I cry every time.

Trusted Contributor

"The Notebook"

"Titanic"

"When Harry Met Sally"

"Love Story"

Contributor

Bridges Over Madison County

0 Kudos
Contributor

The Goodbye Girl 

by Neil Simon

starring Marsha Mason and

Richard Dreyfuss

A timeless expression of doubt, hope and new found love!

Contributor

Franco Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet.  A perfectly honed script.  Stellar cast. Georgeous photography.  Rich, lush musical score.  A timeless film.

Contributor

PRETTY WOMAN by far.  I have watched it so many times I can almost repeat the dialogue by heart.  

Trusted Contributor

I loved the movie Dave.  It was a sweet and romantic movie, and my go to movie if I am feeling down. It certainly isn't one of the big romance, in your face movie, but one where the love starts slowly.  It is also a movie that generations can enjoy together.

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

All Time : Gone With The Wind 

Last 20 years : The Joy Luck Club 

Recently: Crazy Rich Asians 

Regular Contributor

I love the "Wedding Singer". I watch this movie whenever it comes out. Over & over again. I love the music that they play ..... the 80's. 

Periodic Contributor

Out of Africa, Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry Met Sally, French Kiss, You ve Got Mail. Obviously, for me Meg Ryan with Tom Hanks in anything...

Contributor

โ€œOut of Africaโ€ with Meryl Streep and Robert Redford, followed by โ€œBridges of Madison County,โ€ with Streep and Clint Eastwood.  Both were deeply emotional movies, with strong yet disappointed women in the leading role.

Periodic Contributor

"The Magic of Ordinary Days" with Keri Russell and Skeet Ulrich.  A period piece set in the Midwest during WWII.  It's sweet, quiet, insightful and beautiful.

Conversationalist

I thought the 1956 version of Around The World In 80 Days was quite romantic; it's the only movie in which I really liked Shirley Maclaine. But I guess I'm really hooked on actresses whose name begins with Mac. See my previous comment on Maytime.

Contributor

The Bridges of Madison County 

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

1. An Affair to Remember. Oh, my, I cry each time I watch it.

2. Three Coins in a Fountain.

3. Ghost.

My top three.

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

The Graduate

They knew they were in love, and knew they wanted to be together. They had to climb over what looks good to every body else, and they did it.

Periodic Contributor

Rose Marie

Contributor

• The most romantic movie ever is, "Love Story."  
Regular Contributor

Casablanca 

Honored Social Butterfly

Hands down its Titanic for me! My honorable mentions are- The way we were, The Thornbirds, Sleepless in Seattle, Forest Gump

There are several, so I'll just name the first few that come to mind:

Wuthering Heights 

The Titanic 

Gone With the Wind 

Somewhere in Time 

And even Avatar was a beautiful love story. 

I agree with you that Rhett ultimately found happiness with Scarlett! 

Periodic Contributor

Frankly my dear, I don't give a **bleep**! Haha ...and neither does Clark!
Periodic Contributor

Romeo and Juliet

Contributor

Number one is Love story, second is Rocky.

Contributor

Somewhere in Time

Contributor

Casablanca

Conversationalist

A few more titles for you to watch (and maybe shed some tears too) for romantic movies,

Elvira Madigan

Somewhere in Time

Breakfast at Tiffanys

Conversationalist

The movie I found most romantic (and I watch every time it is on), is An Affair to Remember, which stars Deborah Kerr and Cary Grant.  How can you argue against a pair of lovers like that?  Interestingly, this is a remake of Love Affair which starred Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne, another great pairing!  Both movies are great, but An Affair to Remember is in color and, need I repeat, Cary Grant at his most charming and beautiful Deborah Kerr!  Both have other love interests when they first meet on a cruise ship.  Despite efforts to pretend there is nothing going on, everybody knows!  As they reach the port in New York City, they make a vow to meet on Christmas Day at the top of the Empire State Building (yes, this device was used in Sleepless in Seattle, another great love story!)..

As it happens, Deborah goes to the Empire State Building but things do not always turn out as planned.  The ending always leaves me blubbering, so why not join me!  

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP