Take 25 percent off the cost of the award-winning AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code ‘BHM’ for savings.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Stars We're Losing in 2016

Message 1 of 30

@doglover52 - Interesting about Tammy Grimes! I think I especially liked the movie "The Unsinkable Molly Brown," because of the adorable Harve Presnell .. whom IMDB refers to as the "Brawny Baritone"! Harve was the only Broadway cast member who made it into the movie. Amazed to read now, that they originally wanted Shirley MacLaine to play Molly in the movie .. but she had another contract commitment; Shirley accused Debbie of offering to work for  a lower salary, to get the movie role.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 30

I truely believe the old saying'died of a broken heart' is what happened to actress,Debbie Reynolds,the loss of her daughter,Carrie Fisher was too much for her. I can't imagine what Debbie's son,Todd Fisher is going thru right now,losing his sister and mother within 24hrs of each other.

R.I.P. Debbie,you'll be missed.

I find it weird,the 2 actresses who played the same role"Unsinkable Molly Brown",one on Broadway ,Tammy Grimes,movie version,Debbie have both died this yr Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Debbie Reynolds - Gone at 84, Only 1 Day after Daughter Carrie Fisher!

Message 3 of 30

What an incredible tragedy; true "Hollywood Royalty" lost after a stroke! MSN - Debbie Reynolds

Debbie was as well-known for being the innocent victim in the Elizabeth Taylor/Eddie Fisher love triangle, as for her long acting career.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 30

Its a VERY SAD DAY  for fans of the original Star Wars movies to lose "Princess Leia," Carrie Fisher at age 60. While promoting her new memoir in England,she was also filming scenes to the sequel of last yr's movie block buster "Force Awakening" The sequel to "FA"  comes out later next yr.

The "Force" is a bit dimmer today,Rest In Peace Carrie,you will be missed Sue

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Carrie Fisher - Stars We're Losing in 2016

Message 5 of 30

I was sorry to just read that Carrie Fisher passed away at age 60, a few days after her heart attack: Huffington Post - Carrie Fisher

I thought her condition had been stabilized, and that she was recovering .. but perhaps the injury to her system was too much.

RIP, Princess Leia!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 30

Charmian Carr,who played eldest daughter "Lisel" in "The Sound Of Music" has died.,cause of  death  a rare form of dementia. She was 73

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 30

Another wonderful character actor,Jon Polito has died at age 65.

He appeared in a couple of Coen brothers movies:

a gangster in "Miller's Crossing" "90

an executive in "The Hudsucker Proxy" '94

a detective in "The Big Lebowski" '98

His last film was "Big Eyes' '14 story of painter Margaret Kane

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 30

A couple favorite Gene Wilder movies are:

"The Producers" '68,he played "Leo Bloom' co starring with Zero Mostel

"Blazing Saddles" '74 he played "Jim" co starring Clevon Little and others

"Young Frankenstein" '74, he played "Dr Frankenstein" with Terri Garr,Marty Feldman,Peter Boyle,Cloris Leachman,cameo by Gene Hackman as the blind hermit

All 3 movies are very funny,R.I.P. Gene you will be missed

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Stars We're Losing in 2016 - Gene Wilder, Gone at 83

Message 9 of 30

@ASTRAEA wrote:

A sad end for a very funny guy!

One of my favorite comedians.

A sad end but one that was in character. As Mel Brooks once said, Gene is God's Perfect Prey; the victim in all of us. To play roles like that and be hilarious at the same time, must have been very difficult.

At least now he is with his first love, Gilda.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Stars We're Losing in 2016 - Gene Wilder, Gone at 83

Message 10 of 30

From MSN:

"LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Gene Wilder, the frizzy-haired actor who brought his deft comedic touch to such unforgettable roles as the neurotic accountant in "The Producers" and the deranged animator of "Young Frankenstein," has died. He was 83.

Wilder's nephew said Monday that the actor and writer died late Sunday at his home in Stamford, Connecticut, from complications from Alzheimer's disease.

Jordan Walker-Pearlman said in a statement that Wilder was diagnosed with the disease three years ago, but kept the condition private so as not to disappoint fans."

"A Milwaukee native, he was born Jerome Silberman on June 11, 1935. His father was a Russian emigre, his mother was of Polish descent. When he was 6, Wilder's mother suffered a heart attack that left her a semi-invalid. He soon began improvising comedy skits to entertain her, the first indication of his future career.

He started taking acting classes at age 12 and continued performing and taking lesson through college. In 1961, Wilder became a member of Lee Strasberg's prestigious Actor's Studio in Manhattan."

"He went on to write several screenplays and direct several films. In 1982, while making the generally forgettable "Hanky-Panky," he fell in love with co-star Gilda Radner. They were married in 1984, and co-starred in two Wilder-penned films: "The Lady in Red" and "Haunted Honeymoon."

After Radner died of ovarian cancer in 1989, Wilder spent much of his time after promoting cancer research. He opened a support facility for cancer patients called "Gilda's Place." In 1991, he testified before Congress about the need for increased testing for cancer.

Wilder is survived by his wife, Karen, whom he married in 1991."

A sad end for a very funny guy!

Kudos
Views