With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

re: Paul Newman

Message 1 of 9
In Response to post:

We are such spendthrifts with our lives," Newman said.  "The trick of

living is to slip on and off the planet with the least fuss you can muster.

I'm not running for sainthood.  I just happen to think that in life we need

to be a little like the farmer, who puts back into the soil what he takes

out."

What a great philosophy from a great man ...

He was very talented - and insightful, too.

Thanks.

-JoAnn Smiley Happy

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9
In Response to Paul Newman:

Hello all, 

I just read that Paul Newman died.  He was one of my very favorite actors - and probably a favorite of many of you, too. The New York Times said he was one of the "last great actors of the 20th Century." He was also a philanthropist. And, they wrote:

If Marlon Brando and James Dean defined the defiant American male as a sullen rebel, Paul Newman recreated him as a likable renegade, a strikingly handsome figure of animal high spirits and blue-eyed candor whose magnetism was almost impossible to resist, whether the character was Hud, Cool Hand Luke or Butch Cassidy.

He acted in more than 65 movies over more than 50 years, drawing on a physical grace, unassuming intelligence and good humor that made it all seem effortless. Yet he was also an ambitious, intellectual actor and a passionate student of his craft, and he achieved what most of his peers find impossible: remaining a major star into craggy, charismatic old age.

I know he will be missed.

-JoAnn

We are such spendthrifts with our lives," Newman said.  "The trick of

living is to slip on and off the planet with the least fuss you can muster.

I'm not running for sainthood.  I just happen to think that in life we need

to be a little like the farmer, who puts back into the soil what he takes

out."

What a great philosophy from a great man ...

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

Hello all, 

I just read that Paul Newman died.  He was one of my very favorite actors - and probably a favorite of many of you, too. The New York Times said he was one of the "last great actors of the 20th Century." He was also a philanthropist. And, they wrote:

If Marlon Brando and James Dean defined the defiant American male as a sullen rebel, Paul Newman recreated him as a likable renegade, a strikingly handsome figure of animal high spirits and blue-eyed candor whose magnetism was almost impossible to resist, whether the character was Hud, Cool Hand Luke or Butch Cassidy.

He acted in more than 65 movies over more than 50 years, drawing on a physical grace, unassuming intelligence and good humor that made it all seem effortless. Yet he was also an ambitious, intellectual actor and a passionate student of his craft, and he achieved what most of his peers find impossible: remaining a major star into craggy, charismatic old age.

-JoAnn

What a wonderful philanthropist as well as a great actor and a very handsome man - and his eyes were just as blue in his later years.  Here is my favourite photo:

Best wishes, Joan

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9
In Response to post:

Hi Shelby and everyone,

I'm glad you are Paul Newman fans, too.

I think my favorite movies were Hud, The Long Hot Summer, The Sting, From the Terrace and Nobody's Fool.

I'd probably watch any movie he was in. I'm sad he's gone, but we can watch his films.

JoAnn Smiley Happy

HI JoAnn,

Paul Newman will always be alive to me, just like Frank Sinatra.  When I heard Frank Sinatra died, I remember where I was.  I was in a convertible with my friend, going over the Skyway Bridge and sobbing.  In fact, the people in the next car must have thought something was wrong with me.  

JoAnn, it was like a time period had ended!   Yet, it really isn't, in that their spirit lives on in the body of their work, and perhaps even beyond that!   Enjoy the rest of the week, and talk to you again soon!   Shelby

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9
In Response to post:

Hi Again JoAnn,

I feel that PAUL NEWMAN
will live on through the body of his work!   Like you, I
will certainly miss him.  I'm particularly pleased that
you started a group topic about Paul Newman, for are
many Paul Newman films that we can discuss here!  

He also produced and
directed movies, which I didn't know about until accessing this
website below!   Shelby

www.imdb.com/name/nm0000056/">
Paul Newman

(I)

Actor: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
Paul Leonard Newman was born in
January of 1925, the second son of Arthur... Visit IMDb for Photos,
Filmography, ...

www.imdb.com/name/nm0000056/ - 77k -

Hi Shelby and everyone,

I'm glad you are Paul Newman fans, too.

I think my favorite movies were Hud, The Long Hot Summer, The Sting, From the Terrace and Nobody's Fool.

I'd probably watch any movie he was in. I'm sad he's gone, but we can watch his films.

JoAnn Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

Hello all, 

-JoAnn

Hi Again JoAnn,

I feel that PAUL NEWMAN
will live on through the body of his work!   Like you, I
will certainly miss him.  I'm particularly pleased that
you started a group topic about Paul Newman, for are
many Paul Newman films that we can discuss here!  

He also produced and
directed movies, which I didn't know about until accessing this
website below!   Shelby

Paul Newman

(I)

Actor: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
Paul Leonard Newman was born in
January of 1925, the second son of Arthur... Visit IMDb for Photos,
Filmography, ...

www.imdb.com/name/nm0000056/ - 77k -

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

Hello all, 

-JoAnn

Hi JoAnn,

Thank you for
starting this Topic about Paul Newman.  Which were your
favorite PAUL NEWMAN Movies?  With me it would be hard to
pick. 

I loved
him as Butch Cassidy, in BUTCH CASSIDY & THE SUNDANCE
KID, co-starring ROBERT REDFORD.  I also thought he was
especially good when playing opposite ELIZABETH TAYLOR in CAT ON A
HOT TIN ROOF, and along side his wife JOANNE WOODWARD in THE LONG
HOT SUMMER.  He also was great in  COOL
HAND LUKE and THE HUSTLER

Actually he
deserved an Academy Award, long before he ever received it. 
It's that he made acting look so easy, because he was that good an
actor that it was like, he became the character who he
portraid.  Shelby

www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DGT-Bgz1-HQE&sa=X&oi=video_result&resnum=8&ct...">

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT-Bgz1-HQE">
Paul Newman

A biography of him on the Biography
Channel ...
paul newman

1 min 30 sec -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT-Bgz1-HQE

Paul Newman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Paul Newman was one of the founders of the Committee
Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy (CECP), a membership organization
of CEOs and corporate chairpersons ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Newman -

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

Hello all, 

-JoAnn

Oops, my apologies for posting the same message twice. - JoAnn

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Paul Newman

Message 9 of 9

Hello all, 

-JoAnn

Kudos
Views
Replies