Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Manchester By The Sea

Message 1 of 3

We enjoyed Hidden Figures too.

As far as Manchester by the Sea goes, I might catch that on DVD. That way I can watch it for how the story was put together and for the character drama (wordslinger pasttime, these), while DH snoozes next to me on the couch. Smiley Happy Right now we're both grooving on past seasons of Mr Robot. Him for the technology, me for the dark characterizations. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Manchester By The Sea

Message 2 of 3

I thought it was incredibly well-acted, but it was very depressing.  I have been out of the movie market for about 10 years, having been preoccupied with kids and career.  I've just gotten back into going to the movies, and if what I've seen so far is any indication on how dramas are crafted these days, I'm not going to be going much longer.   I need a character I can connect with somehow, or root for. Neither Manchester by the Sea nor 20th Century Women offered me that.  

I LOVED Hidden Figures.  

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Manchester By The Sea

Message 3 of 3

My wife and I had high expectations for this movie - but they were not met.  Even our son, who is a pretty fair movie critic, said he was disappointed.  We had checked it out on Rotten Tomatoes, which gave it a very high rating (96%) - with most of the professional critics gushing all over each other in singing its praises.  Even the regular audience (folks like us) gave it 81%.  I just did not get it.  The story dragged and failed to provoke much interest.  This is a sad, dark, uninspiring story that was probably not written for folks like us.  The never ending flashbacks became tedious in their breaking of the continuity of the story.  While the Academy Award nominating folks obviously loved Casey Affleck - I did not see it that way.  He played a character who had become emotionally dead (that is how the character was written)due to the deaths of his children. Well, I guess you could say he did a good job of playing a walking dead man  - yes, he did do that.  Zero emotion!  For me- acting is displaying some emotion, so I  guess if your character calls for "no emotion" - and, that is what you portray - You are doing a good job. OK.  Now I see it!   Only - I personally would give a lotta credit for someone convincingly going to tears, laughter, anger, fear, joy - as opposed to someone with the exact same wooden "nothing" expression thruout the entire movie.

In passing - I'd like to give a big "Well Done!" to the other flick we saw.  Hidden Figures was an excellent movie!  It more than made up for the "lacking" of Manchester.

Kudos
Views
Replies