Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Hidden Figures

Message 1 of 5
Thank you!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

@Februaryrose   Thank you for sharing your honest & painful memories with us.  Don't think any of us ever want to see "those days" return.

There is much to worry about with Trump's administration, for all folks.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

@magooden Hi,I started a post on this movie on Jan 8th,go check out what I wrote about this terrific movie. A week ago,I finished reading the book by Margot Lee Shatterly,movie is the basis of book. Her father,worked with Dorothy,Mary and Katherine. The book gives a more detailed profile of these ladies,some scenes in the movie are in the book. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

Hidden Figures was an excellent movie, I learned so much from reading the book which was more detailed than the movie (for time sake), I would suggest that if you really enjoyed the movie, read the book. Some of the scenes took me back to when I was "colored" and had to sit in the balcony of the theater, and go to the back door of the local restaurant and order and burger and have it passed through the screen door that was absolutely filthy with grease and dirt. My mom was the "Help", so watching this movie, brought back some painful memories. I remember one incident while I was visiting my cousins in Winfield, Louisiana, I was downtown and wanted a drink of water, started to drink and my cousins shouted at me, "you can't drink that water" I wanted to know why and they saidl, "read the sign", "Whites Only", that memory is instilled in my mind forever. I can only hope we never have to return to those days, but I'm frightened by the current administration with some of his appointees (Bannon). I'm not trying to offend anyone or your choice of voting, we are all may choices, but it is what it is.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Hidden Figures

Message 5 of 5

This movie was fantastic.  I didn't even know about this historic event.  I'm so glad it was turned into a motion picture.  I will look for the book from which it was based.  The actresses did a wonderful job.  I hope to see them in more films.  It was so wonderful to see a film about women overcoming difficulties to pursue careers that were meaningful and allowed them to use their God-given talents.  It was also good that the men in their lives didn't stop them from pursuing their careers.

Kudos
Views
Replies