AARP’s "Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families" can help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to receive a free copy.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Hidden Figures

Message 1 of 4

Saw this last night courtesy of AARP's Movies for Grownups (Thanks, AARP!) and have to agree that it is a beautifully told uplifting story (while still raising one's ire at the times).  Fabulous cast. This is the movie to see this weekend! 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

It was a fantastic movie!  So uplifting, too, after the last one I saw (Manchester By the Sea).  Everything about it was great.  Storyline, cinematography, soundtrack.   Just lovely.  

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

Will rent that through Netflix in future (we don't go to movie theatres).

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Hidden Figures

Message 4 of 4

Yesterday afternoon,my 'movie buddy',Alexei&I saw "Hidden Figures" true story group of Africian American women who worked in Langley,VA for NASA in '61 during early stages of space program. They were known as 'human computers' mathematicians who helped  Alan Shepard&John Glenn into space. The movie features 3 of these remarkable women,Dorothy Vaughan,Mary Jackson,Katherine JOhnson how they lived in an era of segregation&sexism in deep South They couldn't use the bathroom,had to walk to another building,seperate lunch rooms etc,the resentment&jealousy from co-workers who couldn't believe or accept these women were as smart as they were.

Dorothy became NASA's 1st Africian American supervisor,Mary became 1st female engineer,Katherine trusted member of John Glenn's flight team. She calulated the equations that led to Glenn's launch&landing in his orbit around the earth.

This was a terrific movie with a wonderful cast,Octavia Spencer "Dorothy",Janelle Monae,"Mary", and Taraji P. Henson "Katherine". Other cast members,Kevin Costner as"Al" Katherine's supervisor, Jim Parsons,"Paul" Katherines' co worker who resents her from day 1, Kirstin Dunst,Dorothy's boss.

Thre were couple scenes I wiped away tears,there is also humor throughout. The movie is based on the book by Margot Lee Shetterly. Her dad worked at NASA as a research scientist&worked with these 3 women.

Katherine Johnson at age 97 is only member of group still alive.In Nov,the director,Theodore Melfi and studio who distributed the movie rented a local theatre in Johnson's hometown Hampton,Va, to screen for her and her daughters. The family wept.

I highly recommend this long overdue recognition for these wonderful ladies Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Replies