Medicare open enrollment has begun! Learn all about it in AARP's guide to Medicare made easy.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Girl With the Pearl Earring

Message 1 of 28

1) M.A.S.H., because Altman takes us to a new frontier in realistic sound, and because the cast (which became the Altman stock company) is so d. good & funny...

2) The Maltese Falcon, because the cast made the characters more than the sum of their parts in Hammett...

3) The Twelve Chairs, because Brooks is a comedic genius...

4) How Green Was My Valley, because John Ford...

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Cold Mountain

Message 2 of 28

@cleveille   Agree with you on the Southern accents and Gone With the Wind.  Woman Happy     I was not taken with Cold Mountain, the book or the movie.  However the location in which it takes place is magnificent.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Cold Mountain

Message 3 of 28

RE: GONE WITH THE WIND = And a more racist book and movie are hard to find.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 28

Sure!

The first Harry Potter MOVIE far surpassed the first book!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Cold Mountain

Message 5 of 28

The book by Charles Frazier was made into a movie in 2003. The main characters were played by Jude Law, Nicole Kidman and Rene Zellweger. 

Each actor has his/her strenghts. But not in this format. They were terrible. I'm from the South and if there is one thing I can not stand, it is a forced Southern accent. 

I suppose my disappointment in the movie was because I so enjoyed the book.

Gone With the Wind is the exact opposite. I loved the book and the movie. Although in the book Scarlett was married several times and had many children.

Gone With the Wind was played by English/American actors who really made you think they were from the South in the 1860's. Their manners, accents and expressions were believable. This movie was equal to the book.  

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 28

@ib5532  Agree, that was  a good movie.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 28

Field of Dreams is a better movie than the underlying book, which was the author's first novel, and shows his inexperience.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 28

The Movie called, "Keys of the Kingdom" I believe is so much better than the book!  The book is written by A.J. Cronin.  The movie is old, released in 1944 and it stars Gregory Peck!  But it is an absolutely wonderful movie!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 28

Thanks for the recommendation.  I didn't like the book much but will try the movie.  I love Colin Firth and Scarlett Johansson.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

The Hunger Games

Message 10 of 28

The Hunger Games series was as good as the books.  Most of the time the movies can't be as good as the books because when you read a book, your imagination is better than any movie.  But,that said, many movies made from books are still entertaining.  Hawaii and Cider House Rules were the most disappointing compared to the books.

Kudos
Views