Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Girl With the Pearl Earring

Message 11 of 28

Fearless. Movie - A. Book - C.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
bja
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 28

I have NEVER seen a movie that was better than the book!

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 28

I loved the movie "Fiddler on the Roof"  - I couldn't sing along with the book!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 28

I really enjoyed the TV mini-series mini series The Stand from Stephen King. I really liked the book but watching on TV helped bring everything more real? for me as this particular book was very long.

However, being a fan of his Dark Tower series, I HATED the movie they just put out. 

You cannot squish 8 books into one 2-hour movie. That's like trying to do that with Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter!!

Diane Goulart
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 28

The films LOST HORIZON (1937) and SHANE (1951) were far, far better than the books.  In fact, I am surprised that films were even considered based on the quality of these two books.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Movies that disappoint..differ from books

Message 16 of 28

This is NOT me, but ran into a rabid (really) fan of Tolkien's Ring series books - but NOT the films!  Oh, how he ranted and raved as to how he "hated" the movie rendition of the LoTR series, hated the Jacksons themselves (they wrote the scripts after all!) and had virtually nothing good to say about the movies.  Me, on other hand, fell in love first with the movies, then (as am still in progress) with the books - but think one really cannot compare the two.  Had to finally say we should agree to disagree (ever the twain would meet!).  Knew there were people out there w/that opinion, but his was the first blowback encounter...intense!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Movies and books

Message 17 of 28

I LOVED the movie based on the D.H. Lawrence novel "Women in Love". I thought it better than the book, but that may because Alan Bates was in it. 😉

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 28

@vhancock63 

I am a fan of historical fiction too!  You might want to join us here:  https://community.aarp.org/t5/Writing-Books/What-s-everyone-reading/td-p/129210/page/10

It is very old thread and sadly neglected these last few years.  I have less time to read than I used to.  New people can revitalize these threads.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 28
I agree!
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 28

double post

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark