Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Florence Foster Jenkins

Message 1 of 2

I have to admit that although I love Meryl Streep, when I heard a synopsis of the movie, I immediately thought of "Real Housewife of Atlanta" Kim Zolciak's singing career. Off-key more often than not, she was totally delusional about how poorly she really sang. That she developed something of a cult following, was really no indication of her vocal talent .. or lack thereof. Kandi Burruss produced her song, and tried to go easy on her, using studio technology to make her sound better .. only to have Kim even more convinced she sounded good naturally.

I don't know if I'd enjoy the movie, because of that connection; I just don't like when people aren't realistic about their own talents & their limitations.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Florence Foster Jenkins

Message 2 of 2

This afternoon,my 'movie buddy',Alexei and I went to see "Florence Foster Jenkins". The movie is about a real life socialite,Florence Jenkins who was a patron of the arts in NYC who thought she was a good singer. Sadly,that was not the case,with her money she appeared  at Carneige Hall  in 1944,giving an awful performance. Her romantic partner,St Clair Bayfield pays off all the newspaper critics,to make sure when Jenkins has her recitals,only sympathetic friends&others are there to hear her sing. Jenkins pianist,Cosme McMoon,doesn't know how dreadful  she is until he hears her for the 1st time,his reaction is priceless.

Meryl Streep once again took a challenging role and made it her own. In real life,she has a good singing voice,its her singing we see&hear through out the movie. Hugh Grant was terrific and charming as St. Clair. The real surprise is Simon Helberg's performance as McMoon,he nearly steals the movie from his co-stars,he can really play the piano. You may recognized him if you watch TV show,"Big Bang Theory",he plays"Howard".If he doesn't get an Academy Award nomination for best supp actor,that would be a travesty.

We loved the movie,there were some very funny scenes along with a couple emotional ones. I have seen 18 movies so far this yr,this one is the best.I highly recommend it,I give it 4 stars. Sue 

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies