Have questions about your Medicare options? AARP's Medicare Resource Center can help.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Films: Same title, Story Different

Message 1 of 7

@nctarheel wrote:

There has been 2 Avatars, 2 Being Humans, 2 Accused, 2 Always, 2 Glorys, and at least 45+ more duos of movies with the same titles but different subject matter.

Over 45 movies sharing titles. That's surprising. I would think reusing titles would cause the industry problems. Then again, don't they crank out hundreds of movies per year? I 'spose with that in mind a mere 45 movies with less-than-original titles isn't that big of a deal. 

Here's a list, should anyone be interested, of other intellectual property (like titles) that cannot be copyrighted:

Other Things You Cannot Copyright
Just to be clear, here are some things you cannot copyright, according to the U.S. Copyright Office:

Names of products or services
Names of businesses, organizations, or groups (including the names of performing groups)
Pseudonyms of individuals (including pen or stage names)
Titles of works
Catchwords, catchphrases, mottoes, slogans, or short advertising expressions
Listings of ingredients, as in recipes, labels, or formulas. When a recipe or formula is accompanied by an explanation or directions, the text directions may be copyrightable, but the recipe or formula itself remains uncopyrightable.

Some of these can be trademarked, please note. But that's another can of worms. Smiley Happy

Information taken from this site: http://www.thebalance.com/can-a-book-title-be-copyrighted-3974593

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

@Epster wrote:

Right. I just looked it up to be sure: copyright does not cover titles period. Not novels, not non-fiction, not magazine articles and not films.

That of course doesn't explain why the studios would create confusion by reusing titles in such short order.

@Epster,

You are absolutely correct AND it is not all that uncommon either.

There has been 2 Avatars, 2 Being Humans, 2 Accused, 2 Always, 2 Glorys, and at least 45+ more duos of movies with the same titles but different subject matter.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

Right. I just looked it up to be sure: copyright does not cover titles period. Not novels, not non-fiction, not magazine articles and not films.

That of course doesn't explain why the studios would create confusion by reusing titles in such short order.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

Hmmmm. Welp, I know you cannot copyright a book title and from the looks of this I am guessing that law holds for film as well. 

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

Probably those films which are real blockbusters  do have a copywrite. Films these days cost in the millions to make.  Those who put their money into a film, expect a larger amount  returned.. Even those who use a rental  and show it to a club or whatever can look for a load of trouble.   

You can bet the Harry Potter films have a copywrite do you not think?

Charlee6

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

I'm actually surprised they're allowed to do that, since you'd think that the original name was copyrighted by the studio.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Films: Same title, Story Different

Message 7 of 7

I have a real problem with films, lately, which are not remakes.

These films have the exact same title, have no story/the same, and are released

within a year or two of one another.

A  couple examples:

"Hope Springs" -   Colin Firth/Minnie Driver

"Hope Springs" -   Meryl  Streep/Tommy Lee Jones

Entirely  different!

"Rush" - Ron Howard's great film, in my opinion, about Formula One Motor Racing

"Rush"" - Totally different story /plot  -  This second one I found not worth my time.

Charlee6

Kudos
Views
Replies