If you suspect you're a scam target, AARP's fraud helpline is here for you. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Favorite Movies I've Seen in 2016

Message 1 of 9

@retiredtraveler wrote:

As much as we watch English film and telly, we still have to put on closed captioning for any of the series.  Prime Suspect is one of the series that hooked us on Brit series. As old as that series is, it's still great. We'll be re-watching that in the future.  Vera takes place up north, close to Scottish border, so accents are pretty thick. Her's is pretty straight, but some of the other cast members are difficult.

I'm headed up that way in June -- York for a few days, then into Scotland for a couple of weeks.

@retiredtraveler I kow you make an annual trip, and wish for you the best of everything this time. (I'm trying to cover my jealousy: did it work?) Smiley Happy

Yes, we have had to opt for the cc with some episodes as well. But the thing is that with this manner of viewing, one can roll it back and listen again, knowing what was said. We shall see if all this prep is for naught soon enough, I guess. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

@...@retiredtraveler, We must be twins. Ha ha. In the past year we have watched Vera, New Tricks, and Helen Mirren's Prime Suspect. We think we are givng ourselves a bit of a headstart with the dialects and accents, for plan to spend about a year roaming the 'homeland'.....".

As much as we watch English film and telly, we still have to put on closed captioning for any of the series.  Prime Suspect is one of the series that hooked us on Brit series. As old as that series is, it's still great. We'll be re-watching that in the future.  Vera takes place up north, close to Scottish border, so accents are pretty thick. Her's is pretty straight, but some of the other cast members are difficult.

I'm headed up that way in June -- York for a few days, then into Scotland for a couple of weeks.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

@retiredtraveler wrote:

Since 99% of our viewing is Netflix, not 'regular' TV, we've seen a good 125+ films, and countless series (mostly English detective series along with period pieces) in one year. We've rented over 1600 discs since we started with Netflix, 9 years ago.

@retiredtraveler, We must be twins. Ha ha. In the past year we have watched Vera, New Tricks, and Helen Mirren's Prime Suspect. We think we are givng ourselves a bit of a headstart with the dialects and accents, for plan to spend about a year roaming the 'homeland'. (Between us we have about 100 drops of something other than British, Welsh, Scots & Irish.)

I also adore period pieces. DH tolerates them. He likes them if Keira Knightley stars, though, LOL.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

The Lady in the Van, Amistad, Julie and Julia, 12 Years a Slave, The Way, The Book Thief.

We only watch films via Netflix rental and don't go to theatres. Since 99% of our viewing is Netflix, not 'regular' TV, we've seen a good 125+ films, and countless series (mostly English detective series along with period pieces) in one year. We've rented over 1600 discs since we started with Netflix, 9 years ago.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

@doglover52 wrote:

I'm adding "Lala Land' to my favorite movies of 2016,in fact its the best one I saw this yr.

I keep track of the movies I see each yr in my yearly journal Sue

@doglover52

Ah, I see now. That's quite an undertaking, keeping notes on all the films you've seen. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. And gold star to you for turning your movie watching hobby into a valued feature of this community.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

We watched a lot of movies, new and old, on Amazon Prime. Of the newer ones, we liked Bridge of Spies, Brooklyn, and Selma.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

I'm adding "Lala Land' to my favorite movies of 2016,in fact its the best one I saw this yr.

I keep track of the movies I see each yr in my yearly journal Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

@doglover52 wrote:

I have seen 27 movies this yr,some I really enjoyed,others were so-so. I've walked out of 3  which I thought were disappointing.They were ,"Mastermind",2 animated "Storks" and "Secret Life of Pets" which was a major disappointment to me .It started out well,but lost steam.

These movies were my favorites in 2016:

I don't have a long enough memory span to recite the movies I've seen this year (we don't have TV, but watch movies via Hulu and Netflix, so there have been well over a hundred, though I bet we haven't been to a theatre in 8 months) however this French movie, watched last night, had us in stitches a number of times:

The Intouchables

In Paris, the aristocratic and intellectual Philippe is a quadriplegic millionaire who is interviewing candidates for the position of his carer, with his red-haired secretary Magalie. Out of the blue, the rude African Driss cuts the line of candidates and brings a document from the Social Security and asks Phillipe to sign it to prove that he is seeking a job position so he can receive his unemployment benefit. Philippe challenges Driss, offering him a trial period of one month to gain experience helping him. Then Driss can decide whether he would like to stay with him or not. Driss accepts the challenge and moves to the mansion, changing the boring life of Phillipe and his employees.

Trailer: 

http://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi59285529

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Favorite Movies I've Seen in 2016

Message 9 of 9

I have seen 27 movies this yr,some I really enjoyed,others were so-so. I've walked out of 3  which I thought were disappointing.They were ,"Mastermind",2 animated "Storks" and "Secret Life of Pets" which was a major disappointment to me .It started out well,but lost steam.

These movies were my favorites in 2016:

The Revenant- Leonardo DeCaprio's Oscar winning performance

Money MOnster

Zootopia- wonderful animated movie

The BFG

Finding Dory- animated,terrific sequel to "Finding Nemo"

Bad Moms- very funny movie starring Mia Kunis

Florence Jenkins- with Meryl Streep&Hugh Grant

Sully and Inferno- Tom Hanks,any movie he's in I'll see

Deepwater Horizon

Arrival

Fantastic Beasts

My 'movie buddy',Alexei&I will try to see "La,LaLand" tomorrow afternoon. We tried on Mon,12/26,the showing was sold out Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Replies