Live Your Best Life With Rewards for Good. Start Earning Reward Points Now. Get Started Now!

Super Social Butterfly

Re: Favorite Movie Actor

Message 31 of 48

I would love to have been a fly on the wall during the heyday of Broadway shows of the 30s and 40s.  The "round table" at the Algonquin Hotel in NYC where great authors and composers such as Cole Porter, Gertrude Stein, the Gershwins, and Hemingway, congregated.  The discussions must have been sophisticated, witty, and brilliant with these talented minds.  Their contributions to the art world  is incomparable and will probably never be equaled.  So much music today is mindless, shallow and insipid.  

The movies with all the great stars as mentioned, will never be duplicated by today's stars.  Some performances have been worthy of Oscars, but by and large   the newer stars may benefit by watching the icons-they had it all.

Report Inappropriate Content
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 32 of 48

The Duke. I still enjoy his movies to this day.

Honorable mention: Bruce Willis. Yippie Kye Yay!

Info Seeker

Message 33 of 48

There are too many to mention.  From the beginning of the industry to the present( although I'm not that savvy on alot of our contemporary performers)There have been some classic performers a long time ago which we will probably never see again today. But all performers need to be recognized for what they do.They should be commended for their creativity.

Conversationalist

Message 34 of 48

Burt Lancaster.  Oooph!  

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 35 of 48

My all time favorite actor is Cary Grant. I loved that he could easily/effortlessly do both comedy and drama, and that fantastic dry wit that he easily worked into his characters, even the dramatic ones. His Hitchcock movies were superb.

Other favorites (from the classic movies) are Humphrey Bogart, Claude Rains, Clark Gable, and Gregory Peck.

For modern day actors, I like Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, George Clooney, and Bruce Willis. 

Social Butterfly

Message 36 of 48

Way too many to mention. Just a few;

Tyrone Power, Gary Cooper, Gregory Peck, Jack Nickleson, Cary Grant, Spencer Tracy, Meryl Streep, Paul Newman, Barbara Stanwyck, Susan Hayworth, Charleton Heston........

Info Seeker

Message 37 of 48
Laurence Olivier.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 38 of 48

I am not a fan of the NYC method actors from Brando to De Niro.  In my opion, De Niro and Pacino are interchangeable; and Brando was generally incoherent.  Dustin Hoffman was in that group originally; but, he blossomed into a truly great actor. I believe the best actors are people like Kevin Kline, Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Duvall, Meryl Streep, Jodie Foster, Alfre Woodard, Kenneth Branagh, Helen Mirren and Ewan McGregor.  I realize I'm leaving off a number of very worthy actors; but time and space are limited.

Conversationalist

Message 39 of 48

DeNiro, Nicholson, Pacino, Hoffman, Hackman...........all great. Of course Meryl Streep and Cate Blanchette. Tommy Lee Jones, Robert Duval, I could go on and on.

Conversationalist

Message 40 of 48

DeNiro is my favorite also but as he has gotten older he has made quite a few bad movies.

Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors