Take control of your brain health as you age. Visit Staying Sharp — it's free for AARP members.

Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Fans of TCM (Turner Classic Movies)

Message 1 of 4

One director who knew about the ongoing feud between Bette Davis and Miriam Hopkins talked about how they hated each other in real life.  Miriam was a native of Savannah, GA and was from a background of extreme wealth.  Bette was from New England --was it a north/south thing or a battle of the two divas re which one had the most talent?  Bette had a distinct mean streak in nearly all of her movies, and was more well known.  She could speak volumes with those eyes.  Miriam seemed to be more gentle and refined with a softer demeanor.  Interesting that they had to be nice to each other in films--must have been a stretch for both!   

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

We don't get TCM on our cable, but I have rented quite a few old films through Netflix, largely noir from the 40's and 50's. Even though some of it is 'corny' by modern standards, I still enjoy the characters and plots.

We like the old comedies --- have no interest in newer ones. I still love watching the recalcitrant Clifton Webb, and the screwball comedies like My Man Godfrey or Bringing up Baby..

"....men were players and women never thought of bringing charges of sexual harrassment for fear of losing their jobs....". 

Yeah -- but they got even in 9 to 5.  

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4
Well said!
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Fans of TCM (Turner Classic Movies)

Message 4 of 4

Love the old movies, and really are a testament to history and how the world has progressed to present day technology.   I think that's why the TV show "Mad Men" was so popular.  It gave us a look back when there were typewriters, phones with cords, secretaries who made coffee for their bosses, and  men who were sexual predators.  Mid century a film "The Apartment" embodied that theme.  Directed by Billy Wilder and starred Jack Lemmon and Shirley McLaine, men were players and women never thought of bringing charges of sexual harrassment for fear of losing their jobs.  

I particularly like children of the 40s stars that talk about what the stars were like in real life.  Some of the child stars' lives ended tragically, owing to booze and/or drugs.  I often wonder what happened to some of the beautiful ppl who sang and danced in some of those Busby Berkeley numbers--are they still alive?   The stars who are alive appear in interview segments on TCM and talk about their lives in the movies.  In the 30s during the  Depression, when no one had any money, Fred & Ginger, Eleanor Powell, et al entertained with happy, spirited dancing that uplifted the spirits of a populace who wanted an escape from grim reality.  

Like a famous pianist remarks, "I was born too late"  but love those wonderful old movies about the war, the women who worked in the factories, the stars who sold war bonds, entertained troops via the USO and put careers on hold to serve their country (Jimmy Stewart, Clark Gable etc).  I'm glad these stars left their mark on the world via movies, and gave the world insight as to what was happening back then and the legacy of their performances! 

Kudos
Views
Replies