Take 25 percent off the cost of the award-winning AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code ‘BHM’ for savings.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Any old movie fans out there?

Message 1 of 20

Film Forum in NYC showed a bunch of Warner Brothers pre-Production-code films made between 1930 and 1934: dark, incisive and fast-talking. My favorite: Three On a Match. Bette Davis was so young, they made her the quiet one.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 20

@gatorgorilla wrote:
@isolde  & @LaDolceVita   -  After reading your posts, I did internet search to learn a little more about the movie under discussion.  I came across this youtube presentation, which claims to be a showing of the whole movie!  I didn't watch it, but you might want to give it a look, as this might be an easy way for you to view the movie?
 www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-a4wVVjQC4

Thanks Gator, what a find.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 20

I've read that during the heyday of the 30s & 40s, the studios (MGM, Warner, etc) forced dramatic actors to sing and dance.  Joan Crawford was one who did some hoofing, and viewing some of her stellar performances, those musical roles just didn't fit.  Those Busby Berkeley extravaganzas must have cost a fortune even then.  Imagine what they would cost today to produce?  I love the Gold Diggers and Ziegfeld Follies. 

I wonder what ever happened to the children of those eras--they would be in their 80s today, if alive.  Cole Porter was such a prolific musical genius.  The sound track of "High Society" was written and arranged by him. They don't write memorable songs like that anymore, even though his style was "laundry list."

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 20

subject: calls of the wild -  Clarke and Lorrette: Very good (5 Star).

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 20
Me too!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 20

Right, TCM has had this movie on before. I so agree with jerseyman, Loretta was stunning and Jack Oakey was really great. And the dog, let's just say "he answered the call."

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 20

MaVolta wrote:

"...I'm a huge fan of TCM and old movies, and have a collection of favorites, including VHS tapes that still play very well. Movies during the golden age were all about the acting, and didn't rely on a lot of special effects and gory details to prop them up like the movies do today.....I don't care much for most movies made today, there are too many R-rated themes, and violence is over the top on many of them. I like movies that have good story lines and good acting, and the classics are just hard to beat....".

Agreed. We do watch some more recent films, but DW generally doesn't care for them. We got hooked on foreign films for their lack of violence, good dialog, plot line, characters, etc.  The issue we have with a lot of classics is over-dramatization. It comes out campy now, in many cases. 'Soapy', if you will. But, better than special effects, cursing, shoot-em-ups with no dialog or characters.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 20

I'm a huge fan of TCM and old movies, and have a collection of favorites, including VHS tapes that still play very well. Movies during the golden age were all about the acting, and didn't rely on a lot of special effects and gory details to prop them up like the movies do today.

It's interesting...have you ever noticed when credits roll, how short the list is on old movies, compared to the huge lists of production crews that make movies today? No wonder that it costs so much money to make them, aside from the actors salaries.

I don't care much for most movies made today, there are too many R-rated themes, and violence is over the top on many of them. I like movies that have good story lines and good acting, and the classics are just hard to beat.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 20

I'm happy to learn that there are a few fans of Hollywood's golden age still around.

I was a lucky kid , starting at the age of fifteen my first job allowed me to meet many of the old stars. The stories that not only the stars themselves told me but also the parents of my girl friends who worked in the industry I found both very entertaining and interesting.

The 1960's in the San Fernando Valley was a wonderful time and I'm so glad I made the most of it.

Adios Mi Amigos,

The Frog

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 20

Try iTunes. I think it is on there.