Get a newer and safer vehicle while saving money! Check out the AARP auto buying program.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: RE: Academy Award Picks

Message 1 of 8
Daniel Day Lewis for best Actor
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

RE: Academy Award Picks

Message 2 of 8

In Response to Academy Award Picks by janice0927

My picks:

Picture Argo,,the academy's snubbing of Ben Affleck for director

Actress Jessica Chastain"Zero Dark Thirty"

Actor Daniel DayLewis,dark horse, Hugh Jackman

Director David Russell"Silver Lining PLaybook"

Supp. Actor,Robert DeNiro "Silver Lining PLaybook"

Supp. Actress,anybody but Anne Hathaway,can't stand her Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

In Response to RE: Academy Award Picks by Littlemite

Thank you for posting the awards and the list of nominations.  I also enjoyed Les Miserables.  I saw Hugh Jackman in an interview on t.v. and he told of the personal hardships he endured during the making of the film.  It made me appreciate it even more.  Do try to see some of the nominated films you missed.  In some cities, they are being brought back to the theaters the weekend of the Academy Awards.  In all honesty, I wouldn't be disappointed if any of them won as I thought they were all so well done.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

In Response to RE: Academy Award Picks by BaronVonTollbooth

Thanks for your post.  I did see The Impossible and started a Discussion about it.  I hope you consider seeing Beasts of the Southern Wild on DVD.  It is one of those "either you love it or hate it" art films, but to think that the major actors were amateurs will blow you away.  I definitely agree with you about costumes for Anna Karenina.   While Helen Hunt was fearless in her role in The Sessions, I feel that John Hawkes performance was more outstanding.  He has received nominations for Best Actor, but little notoriety as compared to Helen Hunt (she is greatly favored to win in the latest Entertainment Weekly magazine). 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

In Response to RE: Academy Award Picks by Littlemite

Thanks for starting this topic, Janice. While I think the real battle for Best Picture is between Argo and Lincoln, I think Argo will come out ahead. Still, once again, the Academy ignored what should have been nominated - People Like Us (competent acting and direction, but outstanding for the humanity of it's story).

Amour will probably win for Best Foreign Film, and it's nomination was a bit redundant. Les Mis was wonderful, but so 15 years ago. Django Unchanied was the most fun Tarrantino has had since Pulp Fiction, but not a serious contender. Same could be said for Life of Pi,  and Silver Linings Playbook. I didn't see Beasts of the Southern Wild, so can't comment, which leaves Zero Dark Thirty, which I think was too dark and focused on a subject most of us would like to forget.

Best Actor will go to Daniel Day-Lewis, and will ignore Joaquin Phoenix's amazing part in The Master. The film was didactic and rambled, but the pain of Phoenix's character showed in every movement and word he spoke.

I'll predict Jennifer Lawrence for Best Actress, and want to advise you to see The Impossible for the parts played by Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor. Another beautifully told story of a horrible event.

For Best Supporting roles, I'll go out on a limb for Christopher Waltz instead of Tommy Lee Jones, and Helen Hunt over Anne Hathaway.

Think the Directing award will go to Steven Speilberg - the odds on favorite.

Cinematography and Costume Design belong to Anna Karenina, whether they win or not.

Sound Mixing should go to Les Mis - amazing work. Sound Editing will belong to Zero Dark Thirty.

Visual Effects were wonderful in Life of Pi, but didn't hold a candle to Prometheus.

Finally the writting awards - always one of my favorites. For Adapted Screenplay I think Argo will win, and strongly feel that Moonrise Kingdom should take the Original Screenplay category - it was unlike anything else this year, and a reminder of the innocent times we grew up in.

Some really wonderful films this year, it'll be a fun show.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

In Response to Academy Award Picks by janice0927

Hi Janice, 

Here is the complete list, and I find it difficult to decide this year.  However, while I loved Hugh Jackman in Les Mis, I will agree that Daniel Day Lewis should win Best Actor, and Anne Hathaway as Best Actress for Les Misérables. 

While I haven't seen every movie, I would say from talking to people "The Life of Pi, or Django Unchained should will Best Picture, and for Best Director:  Steven Spielberg.

85th Academy Awards Nominees, February 24th, 2013

oscar.go.com
Best Picture:Amour, Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Django Unchained, Les Misérables, Life of Pi, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, Zero Dark Thirty
Best Actor in a Leading Role:Bradley Cooper, Daniel Day-Lewis, Hugh Jackman, Joaquin Phoenix, Denzel Washington
Best Actress in a Leading Role:Jessica Chastain, Jennifer Lawrence, Emmanuelle Riva, Quvenzhané Wallis, Naomi Watts
Best Director:Amour (Michael Haneke), Beasts of the Southern Wild (Benh Zeitlin), Life of Pi (Ang Lee), Silver Linings Playbook (David O. Russell), Lincoln (Steven Spielberg)

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Academy Award Picks

Message 7 of 8

I am sure you all know that the Academy Awards will take place on Sunday, Februrary 24th.  I thought it would be fun to make our own "ballots" for the big event.  I tell my husband that the Academy Awards night is my "super bowl".  Here are my picks:

Best Film - Argo

Best Director - Stephen Spielberg/Benh Zeitlin (can't decide but I really wanted Ben Affleck)

Best Actor - Daniel Day-Lewis

Best Actress - Jennifer Lawrence

Best Supporting Actor - My choice, John Goodman in Argo, wasn't nominated and I am hard pressed to pick one. 

Best Supporting Actress -  Anne Hathaway but also liked Sally Field

In all honesty, I did not see The Master or Amour - the first because I thought it would be depressing and the second for the same reason!

Let's hear your picks!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Academy Award Picks

Message 7 of 8

I am sure you all know that the Academy Awards will take place on Sunday, Februrary 24th.  I thought it would be fun to make our own "ballots" for the big event.  I tell my husband that the Academy Awards night is my "super bowl".  Here are my picks:

Best Film - Argo

Best Director - Stephen Spielberg/Benh Zeitlin (can't decide but I really wanted Ben Affleck)

Best Actor - Daniel Day-Lewis

Best Actress - Jennifer Lawrence

Best Supporting Actor - My choice, John Goodman in Argo, wasn't nominated and I am hard pressed to pick one. 

Best Supporting Actress -  Anne Hathaway but also liked Sally Field

In all honesty, I did not see The Master or Amour - the first because I thought it would be depressing and the second for the same reason!

Let's hear your picks!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Kudos
Views
Replies